2020 MLB Draft

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Looks like all signs point to uga’s Wilcox signing with SD. Solid blow to them as he would have been the likely Friday ace and 2021 1st round pick with the departure of Hancock as a 1st rounder already. Also two of their regulars in the lineup have already signed as UFAs.

I think the 2021 season will be an inflection point in us passing them again as a program.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I'm glad MLB is probably coming back. My O's have a better chance in a 60 game season. I don't care how long the season is if the O's make the playoffs.

I haven't watched MLB for years, but I may be desperate enough this year.

To tie back to the post, it's good that baseball is at least being played since it helps the MLB business model and the draft bonuses. Of course, the current contract between players and MLB end December 2021 ......... but we'll be onto COVID-20 or COVID-21 by then.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From D1, big winners from the draft:

Florida - #1 preseason didn't lose anyone
TCU, Miami (despite losses still getting four top 50 recruits according to Prep Baseball Report, and nine in the top 300) , USCe, Arizona

Big losers:
Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Arizona State, UNC (lost Sabato and two stud LHP commits)

Before the draft, we had the 16th ranked PG class https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx .
We had a total of 95 points and no losses. looking at the numbers for other teams and not going too deep, I don't think we'll get to #10 (105 points) but will probably move up to like 12th or 13th or so.

I'm still waiting for PG to do the update. We are still 16th in 2020 rankings. Signing deadline is 1 August so maybe see an update about that time. Beesball has both Baron and Wade as unsigned?! But with bonus amounts so maybe it's a technicality or just slow update. https://beesball.com/draft2020.html

One really nice thing:
2021 recruiting class: GT 9th with 13 commits, 7.69 average, uGag 45th with 8 commits, 6.00 average.
2022 recruiting class: GT 12th with 10 commits, 8.30 average; uGag 45th with 4 commits, 6.50 average.
THWG

We are definitely getting the talent. So are some of our competitors like UVa, but it's all good.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
the new '21 is Bradley Frye

I expect the class points and individual rankings to only improve as the guys continue to do well across the Summer/Fall and PG events and of course WWBA in Jupiter in October.
Lots of the guys on East Coast Pro, Area Code, and Dream Team (?? some other MLB thing) all in August.
Scouts galore out and about at the events.

Pierce @UVA was fierce with his 93-94 LHP FB, but shattered quickly when we starting hitting on him at the 17U elite in Hoover.
A bunch of those top guys will probably (hopefully) draft :)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Baron signed for only $100K. Slot was $372K. I expected higher for him. He knows his situation better than I do and it must make sense for him.

Guldberg for only $300K. Slot was $593K. But I expected that since draft day comments were that he was signed to keep $ for other players.

Wish them both the best.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
But what about bonuses? Did they get more in bonuses?
If I understand your question... it's the same one I had awhile back. Here's a good explanation. Bottom line... the numbers discussed were [signing] bonus money.

Lol no need to be embarrassed. MLB financials do tend to be confusing. Anytime money is discussed with the draft it is bonus money. All players sign the same minor league contract when they sign, and their salaries are the same, whether they sign for $9M or $9k in the draft. Teams have players under control for their “rookie” contract for 7 years, whether they spend all 7 in the minors or 1 in the minors and 6 in the majors. Teams are free to renegotiate at any time, but there’s no incentive for them to until a players gets to his free agent year. This fact is a big reason why the players are split in their financial debate with the league. Very few of them have the top dollar contracts that are publicized so often. I saw a stat recently that said a player who spends less than 3 full seasons in the majors won’t even net $1M in salary, and nearly 2/3 of players aren’t reaching that 3 season threshold.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Baron signed for only $100K. Slot was $372K. I expected higher for him. He knows his situation better than I do and it must make sense for him.

Guldberg for only $300K. Slot was $593K. But I expected that since draft day comments were that he was signed to keep $ for other players.

Wish them both the best.

For a little perspective: Tristin was the 93rd pick in last year’s draft and signed for $500,000. Guldberg at 98 this year at $200k less.

Connor Thomas was pick #155 last year and signed for $340k, Baron was pick #146 this year.

Curry, Murray, and Willingham all signed for $125k in rounds 7, 13, and 17 respectively.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For a little perspective: Tristin was the 93rd pick in last year’s draft and signed for $500,000. Guldberg at 98 this year at $200k less.

Connor Thomas was pick #155 last year and signed for $340k, Baron was pick #146 this year.

Curry, Murray, and Willingham all signed for $125k in rounds 7, 13, and 17 respectively.

Given minor league pay barely provides enough to afford McDonald's, a $100K bonus is not impressive. Waiting a year for better performance would make sense unless Baron was ready. That is possible, Hughes went for less.

Something strange about these bonuses and still having $100M$ free agent bonuses.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
it would be interesting to understand the behind the scenes. I can’t imagine they both wouldn’t have awesome years, draft higher and with a degree to boot from GT. I don’t get it

They still had leverage with the extra year.

I’m sure there is more to it than math. Like you said.
Interesting