1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

2020 Baseball Schedule

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Baseball' started by FredJacket, Sep 11, 2019.

1. FredJacket

FredJacket Helluva Engineer

2. FredJacket

The opening weekend is part of the "Atlanta Challenge" where 3 out of town teams rotate through Ga Tech, Ga State, & Kennesaw State. So, I'd assume it is not just Ga Tech involved in arranging the opponents. Fun to talk about 98 days before opening day; but Ga Tech typically has a few pretty weak teams on the schedule. With our ACC schedule and playing Auburn and UGA... I think our SoS will be fine.

Now to dig into what we know of the schedule already, it is hard to say at this point if 2020's schedule will be as difficult as 2019. Ga Tech did have a top 20 SoS in 2019... and that was a good thing.

As for the weekend OOC series comparisons 2019 v 2020:
    Opening weekend of UIC, Richmond, WVU (2019) v Cincy, St Johns, St Peters (2020) - pretty close to same... edge to 2019
    UCLA ('19) v OSU ('20) - 2019 more difficult
    NW ('19) v UGA ('20) - 2020 more difficult
    W.Carolina ('19) v TBD ('20) - can't really be any easier than 2019

Last year, Tech played 24 regular season OOC games. 9 of those were against RPI Q4 competition (#151-299). They went 8-1.

3. FredJacket

Add Gardner-Webb

February
    14-16: Specific Day is TBD (Opening Wknd)
    St John's, Cincinnati, St Peter's
    18: at Ga Southern
    21-23: Ohio State
    25: Gardner-Webb
    28-1: UGA (Foley Fld/SunTrust/RC)

March
    4: at Ga State
    6-8: Va Tech
    10: at Auburn
    13-15:
    18: Ga Southern
    20-22: Duke
    27-29: at Clemson

April
    3-5: at UNC
    7: Auburn
    10-12:
    17-19:
    24-26: Boston College

May
    1-3:
    5: Ga State
    8-10: at UVA
    14-16: Miami

THWG likes this.
  4. CINCYMETJACKET

CINCYMETJACKET Helluva Engineer

All I want to know is when do we play at Pitt. I will be there, as usual. I'm just hoping it's in the April or May (preferably May) slots listed above. I don't really want to sit through another game in 30 degrees with snow on the field...

5. FredJacket

6. FredJacket

Not sure what's going on with my "quote" function... it just posted above with allowing me to edit/write anything. Anyway... it looks like Ga Tech @ Pitt will be April 17-19. This is based on my process of elimination... so, take that for what it is worth. Neither team has officially announced a schedule, yet.

7. FredJacket

Add FSU (...and in italics (Pittsburgh, NC State) teams yet to announce schedule, officially; but using process of elimination should fall where shown)
    It shapes up that our Atlantic Division opponents in 2020 will be: FSU, Clemson, NC State, BC.

This is 46 games. Still need one May OOC weekend series plus 6-7 more mid-week games to get to the typical 55-56 games.

February

March
    13-15: at FSU

April
    10-12: NC State
    17-19: at Pittsburgh

May
    1-3: OOC (TBD)

eokerholm likes this.
  8. FredJacket

Add Mercer (...and in italics (Pittsburgh, NC State) teams yet to announce schedule, officially; but using process of elimination should fall where shown)

February

March
    25: Mercer

April
    21: at Mercer

May

GTNavyNuke and eokerholm like this.
  9. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

I'm looking forward to see the pre-season projections for SoS. uGag, Auburn and Ohio State are all going to be top 20, some maybe top 10 given their returners looking at D1 Baseball write-ups. More later.

FredJacket likes this.
  10. GTNavyNuke

Wish we played NC State in two series .......... actually not. They are projected to be top 25 pre-season or actual top 25 post-season for the 17th straight year. That's a good program.

FredJacket likes this.
  11. FredJacket

Add Kennesaw St
    [up to 50 games how... need to add the out-of-conf series May 1-3 and 2 or 3 more mid-week games]

February

March
    17: Kennesaw St
    25: Mercer

April
    14: at Kennesaw St
    21: at Mercer

May

GTNavyNuke, tatertot1 and THWG like this.
  12. Southpawmac

Southpawmac Helluva Engineer

Official.

gtrower, GTNavyNuke, tkh74 and 5 others like this.
  13. GTNavyNuke

LOL, the GT home page said "Baseball Unveils 2020 Schedule". About a month after @FredJacket had most of it. Only added Bowling Green (275 RPI), Charleston Southern (243) and Tenn Tech (238).

A lot of good teams and a lot of 200+ RPI teams. Will be interesting to see where the SoS falls out.

33 games on ACCN. All on WREK. Hope Wiley is calling most of the games with his cohorts.

14. eokerholm

eokerholm Helluva Engineer

Schedule change announced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THWG and FredJacket like this.
  15. eokerholm

eokerholm Helluva Engineer

I guess it was already on there but decided to tweet about it today.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JacketOff

JacketOff Helluva Engineer

Moving the Suntrust game to Gwinnett really sucks. That game usually has one of the best atmospheres of any college game all year. I think they sold 19k+ tickets last year to help CHOA, and it’s almost always around 20k. Coolray only holds 10 thousand. It’ll probably still be a pretty good atmosphere because the stadium will be full, but I hope there’s enough Tech fans there so it doesn’t turn into a UGA home game.

17. majorQ9

majorQ9 Ramblin' Wreck

Definitely a big disappointment. Hope big air was worth it.

18. JacketOff

Yeah for sure. I was disappointed with the lack of promotion for the game last year on behalf of Suntrust Park and the Braves, although I’m not sure if there’s some type of rule against the Braves promoting the game. Even within a couple of days before the game there wasn’t even a promotional sign on the electronic billboard on 75/85 going by the stadium. The Suntrust Park official twitter never even mentioned the game until after it was over when they thanked everyone for coming. Which is weird considering they posted highlights for the GHSA state championship games that they hosted. You would think since the COFH game is one of the biggest non-Braves events in the stadium they would be all over it.

FredJacket likes this.
  19. FredJacket

Yep. If the issue is money lost for the charity... let's hope (I'm not optimistic) there was a contractual penalty if the park cannot host due to field being damaged/unplayable under these circumstances.

Otherwise.... again... if it's about maximizing charity income, it is not too late to hold all 3 games at the facility in Gwinnett.

Other option ADD a 4th game (midweek) in April or May to be held at SunTrust.

20. JacketOff

Really hope CHOA isn’t losing funds because of this snafu. I would imagine this skiing event has been in the works for at least 18 months or so, and the schedule change for CHOA moving back to the weekend has probably only been known for 10-12. Hopefully somebody will be able to make up the difference for the ~10k tickets and donations that won’t be made. I don’t think I would want to take away the home games for the teams, because they are special and important, but the 4th game in March/April would be a pretty good idea. Even if they play it as an exhibition that doesn’t count against records. Auburn and Alabama play a charity classic in Birmingham every year for their children’s hospital that doesn’t count towards conference records.

eokerholm likes this.