2020 Adidas Swag Thread

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
The T hats look better made than the original ones. Can anybody confirm this? I'll have to consider buying a second one if they are better quality.

I didn't take a close look at them, but that was my impression as well. The one I got when it was released was very average in quality. They seem closer to what the baseball team was actually wearing.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The T hats look better made than the original ones. Can anybody confirm this? I'll have to consider buying a second one if they are better quality.
I’ve got 4-5 of them (don’t ask me why...I have a thing for hats), and I’ve found that even with the most recent release, I still want to pick them out myself as the “T” still suffers from the centering issue. I’ve seen some that are a 1/2 inch off center, and it’s pretty common.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Bookstore said they ordered a bunch of stuff and a lot more gold apparel for Adidas, but they just didn’t deliver the order. That’s what they told me

chicoGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, there are new fitted caps with high quality T similar to baseball game hats. The one size fits all with lower quality T is also still available, so you will want to make sure you get the fitted version for better quality.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This isn’t relevant to Tech, but it is relevant to adidas. Apparently Texas State received their game uniforms 2 hours before their opening kickoff today.

Something that I don’t think that’s ever been revealed to the public about GT and adidas: In the 2019 baseball season (first BSB season with adidas) we only had 1 {yes that’s right} official adidas uniform ready for opening weekend. It was the throwback cream uniform, and it was deliver on Opening Day. That is the reason why all of the media productions from the 2019 season was in practice gear. There were literally no uniforms to wear. We wore it twice on opening weekend, and the equipment staff had some very basic white, blue, and gray jerseys made to wear until the rest of the uniforms came in. The official gold and white unis came in time for the 2nd weekend of the year, but the gray pants and jersey, as well as the blue jersey didn’t get in until the 3rd week of the year. Our team was practice pants during road games, and Friday night win vs. Miami in CONFERENCE PLAY was in what was essentially a practice jersey.

Take those 2 stories as you wish in relation to adidas, but remember: Under Armour is going bankrupt, and Nike didn’t want Tech.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This isn’t relevant to Tech, but it is relevant to adidas. Apparently Texas State received their game uniforms 2 hours before their opening kickoff today.

Something that I don’t think that’s ever been revealed to the public about GT and adidas: In the 2019 baseball season (first BSB season with adidas) we only had 1 {yes that’s right} official adidas uniform ready for opening weekend. It was the throwback cream uniform, and it was deliver on Opening Day. That is the reason why all of the media productions from the 2019 season was in practice gear. There were literally no uniforms to wear. We wore it twice on opening weekend, and the equipment staff had some very basic white, blue, and gray jerseys made to wear until the rest of the uniforms came in. The official gold and white unis came in time for the 2nd weekend of the year, but the gray pants and jersey, as well as the blue jersey didn’t get in until the 3rd week of the year. Our team was practice pants during road games, and Friday night win vs. Miami in CONFERENCE PLAY was in what was essentially a practice jersey.

Take those 2 stories as you wish in relation to adidas, but remember: Under Armour is going bankrupt, and Nike didn’t want Tech.

Curious if adidas will soon be going the way of under armour.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, there needs to be competition - we certainly can't end up with one major apparel company when this is all said and done. You would have thought Adidas and Under Armour could have possible merged to compete against Nike. Hopefully, because of hockey and soccer, Adidas will survive, and maybe they just really don't care about college football, except the advertisement.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well, there needs to be competition - we certainly can't end up with one major apparel company when this is all said and done. You would have thought Adidas and Under Armour could have possible merged to compete against Nike. Hopefully, because of hockey and soccer, Adidas will survive, and maybe they just really don't care about college football, except the advertisement.
it’s certainly trending that way. Nike produces uniforms for 3 of the big 4 leagues, the overwhelming majority of major college teams, and most of the US Olympic teams. Adidas won’t ever go away, mostly because of European soccer, but they have certainly fallen from a more prominent spot in recent years. Under Armour will be extinct in the next decade. I thought they would really break through, but they focused the majority of their efforts on signing athletes, and not teams. They went after athletes like Steph Curry, Tom Brady, Bryce Harper, Cam Newton, Julio Jones, Michael Phelps, etc. While they did get Notre Dame and UCLA at the college level, neither of those teams are the level of historic prominence they used to be either. It’s all well and good to sign big name athletes, but when your competitor produces the uniform those athletes wear, it makes your shoes look irrelevant.

GT and Russell becoming the laughing stock of the major apparel deals pretty much means that no other team or league with prominence will take a chance and go with a brand like New Balance, Rawlings, Reebok, Puma, etc. because there’s no “cool factor” tied into those brands. It’s going to require a lifestyle brand like Lululemon, Gymshark, Rhône, etc. to dive into team apparel to bust up Nike’s “monopoly.” I know for a fact that if Lululemon went into team apparel that a ton of schools and pro leagues would take notice.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
it’s certainly trending that way. Nike produces uniforms for 3 of the big 4 leagues, the overwhelming majority of major college teams, and most of the US Olympic teams. Adidas won’t ever go away, mostly because of European soccer, but they have certainly fallen from a more prominent spot in recent years. Under Armour will be extinct in the next decade. I thought they would really break through, but they focused the majority of their efforts on signing athletes, and not teams. They went after athletes like Steph Curry, Tom Brady, Bryce Harper, Cam Newton, Julio Jones, Michael Phelps, etc. While they did get Notre Dame and UCLA at the college level, neither of those teams are the level of historic prominence they used to be either. It’s all well and good to sign big name athletes, but when your competitor produces the uniform those athletes wear, it makes your shoes look irrelevant.

GT and Russell becoming the laughing stock of the major apparel deals pretty much means that no other team or league with prominence will take a chance and go with a brand like New Balance, Rawlings, Reebok, Puma, etc. because there’s no “cool factor” tied into those brands. It’s going to require a lifestyle brand like Lululemon, Gymshark, Rhône, etc. to dive into team apparel to bust up Nike’s “monopoly.” I know for a fact that if Lululemon went into team apparel that a ton of schools and pro leagues would take notice.
Adidas is not in trouble, in any way, and in fact is still ascending in terms of worldwide sporting apparel market share.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I
Adidas is not in trouble, in any way, and in fact is still ascending in terms of worldwide sporting apparel market share.
I didn’t say they were in trouble? I said they aren’t as prominent as they once were, which is true in American sports. Their worldwide market share is not meaningful to me because I don’t really follow any non-domestic leagues or teams. And it’s obvious that there’s none, to very little carryover between their success overseas to the quality and success on American soil. Adidas was the NBA’s manufacturer for many years, and made uniforms for NFL teams as well before their exclusive deal with Reebok. They also lost their deal with the CFL, and numerous premier college teams. Regardless of their international prominence, it’s not making their American products or exclusive offers any better.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Yup.
The US as a whole is going towards monopolies. Amazon, Walmart, Nike. Each area has such a dominant stake in the market its become laughable to say they do not own a monopoly. Capitalism will do that eventually unless there is a check and balance.

Adidas has become less focused on American sports in the past 5 years. They seem to be more European, and trend setting style focused.

I tend to wish New Balance would make a strong effort to become the "IT" brand. I like their shoes, and they have quality products. I am not a Puma fan. It's just too European/middle eastern for me.
Luluemon is far too "rich" to be a massive everyday brand. Their baseline Tshirts run $50+. GT wouldn't sell a single item of theirs to our fanbase 😂🤣.
We wait for $20 Tshirts to go on half off sales!

I'm curious if Brooks would ever go back to being more well rounded. Currently focused on running shoes.
That or Abercrombie and Fitch goes back to their sporting good ways and does athletic wear fitting and drops all the creepy half naked teen crap.

Otherwise Nike is King. Adidas is a Jester, and everyone else is a fad.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Not that this is the end-all metric, but take a look at the stock price of the big three over the last year.

Nike: 88.69 (year ago) - 112.40 (today)
adidas: 153.83 - 156.40
UA: 19.56 - 10.43

Obviously, this has been a tough year earnings wise across retail brands, but gives a glimpse of relative health in eyes of investors. Most of these apparel deals for schools aren't intended to make money, but more of a marketing/exposure bet on eyeballs. Maybe a superstar ends up in their stable (as the FBI wiretaps underscored).

At some point the numbers don't make sense, which is where UA landed. They were an upstart and then felt like they could outspend Nike. (It's kind of like when other airlines tried to establish routes to ATL and Delta would crush them in a fare war.) Adidas has only 12 power-5 schools, so their bet in college sports is more measured. I highly doubt they are pulling back anytime soon, but they (or anyone) won't be throwing crazy money deals in the near future.

I wonder what's happening behind the scenes with UA and Notre Dame.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Curious if adidas will soon be going the way of under armour.

Not even close. This has been well documented that Adidas is distribution.

I highly doubt they would get out of the business like Russell Athletics did.

Also, COVID is causing A LOT of supply chain issues whether it’s adidas or not. I’m just now getting packages that i ordered back in May

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Gold1 @Supersizethatorder-mutt
7CEE6CE9-B706-4971-83C1-93E34249E541.jpeg