2020 ACC Tourney Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just in case anyone wants to discuss it.

Rooting for Wake today, for the novelty of seeing Manning prolong his time there and their fans having mixed feelings about it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don't really care who wins Pitt vs Wake but I'll vote for Wake just because of whathisface on Pitt that was acting like a fool all game when we played them last.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I will be rooting for the hokies when that game comes up. will be pleased to see Roy go down engulfed in a ball of flames.
While I hate the hell out of Roy and Uncheat, they’re playing decent ball right now. Being the degenerate gambler that I am, I put some decent money on them to win the Acc tournament. The payout was too good to pass up! Now do I think they’ll win it? Nope. lol

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When the last seed in the ACC Tournament wins it, the "ACC down year" narrative won't change. The ACC is the Trump/GOP of NCAAM.

That is a pretty good analogy and definitely funny! I've seen people throw around terms like "historically" bad or worst in our generation, and while that is hard to compare, I don't think that it is true.

Sure the conference is down in comparison to past years, but I would put the middle of the ACC up against the middle of just about any other conference.

UNC is starting to play really well, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them go on a run to the finals.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
First, as far as I'm concerned there is no tournament this year. I'm givin' the whole cbb establishment the d0uble-bird fingers this year. I'll probably still watch some since I'm a dang degenerate though.

I'm also all-in on ol' @dtm1997 rooting for chaos in the OP. Haha, that's the ultimate kg-moov. I'm rubbin' off on you, sir. Congrats?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC lacks scoring stars at the top of the League. Otherwise, I think the ACC is fine. I think the "historically bad" narrative grew teeth because of some tough pre-season losses that effected the computer rankings and then were perpetuated by league parity. In other words, I think the rep is all from people who watch the rankings based on numbers crunching above watching teams play ball.

Wake could not play any defense this season. VT could not get their shots to go down in the second half of the ACC slate. They had lots of open looks against Carolina but VT looked like we did in Pastner's first two years. BRICK-CITY, BABY! And they have no bigs. That coach deserves major kudos for getting that team to win 6 conference games.

Deleted member 2897

So far 2 for 2 with upsets. Today North Carolina can absolutely beat Syracuse and Pittsburgh could actually beat NC State if they play well. Can Miami beat Clemson and Boston College beat Notre Dame to go 6 for 6 on upsets? I don't think so. But I wouldn't doubt if we go 4 for 6 or 5 for 6.

The ACC is indeed having one of its worst years quality-play-wise in recent memory. But we're still better than almost every other conference this year. I would take our dead last place North Carolina team against anybody even at the top of a conference and I bet they would be competitive. Take the bottom third of our conference - they're all 13-16 wins and only 1 team right now has no shot at the post season (other than us who bowed out due to the Coronavirus :D)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC favored by 3 so hard to call that an upset. I would take the points.
Of the rest, Miami over Clemson would be my choice though Clemson by 4 right now.
I do think NCSU will play well and BC really has no shot.

Deleted member 2897

Of the rest, Miami over Clemson would be my choice though Clemson by 4 right now.

Well #14 North Carolina is playing #6 Syracuse. That just reinforces what we're saying here. That's absolutely a huge upset...but given that North Carolina is predicted to win, that tells you that an awful lot of people still think the ACC is very very good.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well #14 North Carolina is playing #6 Syracuse. That just reinforces what we're saying here. That's absolutely a huge upset...but given that North Carolina is predicted to win, that tells you that an awful lot of people still think the ACC is very very good.
Has very little to do with ACC perception. It reinforces how important Cole Anthony is and also how consistency in avoiding injuries was to their team, or any team. They are a far better team now than when we played them. Also, the game's being played in Greensboro, NC.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
To add, folks are going to go crazy per usual when a 12-seed beats a 5 in the NCAAT. Realistically, the spread will probably be in the 3-5 point range because there is very little separating the 48th team in the country from #20. Occasionally the 12 has even been favored due to anomalies like injuries, bad match-ups and sometimes the simple fact that the NCAAT committee looks at the wrong metrics in determining the S-Curve. The first two variables are at play in Cuse vs. Carolina.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

FWIW I meant to say "give" the points. UNC runs a nice zone set that is going to stress SYR in the paint. Long as they make some shots they win comfortably.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
FWIW I meant to say "give" the points. UNC runs a nice zone set that is going to stress SYR in the paint. Long as they make some shots they win comfortably.
giphy.gif

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

After consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors, it was determined that beginning Thursday, March 12, all games will be played with only essential tournament personnel, limited school administrators and student-athlete guests, broadcast television and credentialed media members present.