2020 ACC Football Season Update

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yea I’m thinking of taking a lot of road underdogs this season. No fans or very limited will make a difference.
Agreed. I am curious how a "bubble" will be implemented. Like do teams on the road have a rough transition to hotel/testing/run through/ testing/game.

I think larger spreads will be hard to cover without a fan base feeding the energy to keep pushing once up 24-31 points in the mid 3rd. Going to be a wacky year.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
So? Hypothetical question.. What happens if GT is healthy, but another team has to cancel, due to the virus? Do we get a W? Does the game just not happen?

Game will be postponed at first and possibly cancelled later. Which is why theyrgoing by win % for selecting teams in the ACCCG. What’s gonna get real interesting is when a team is 7-1 and conveniently decides that they don’t feel safe playing their 9th game @Clemson.

If the current regulations in NY stay in place, Syracuse would have a hard time getting ACC teams in the state for a home game. I think Boston College would be the only ACC team that could actually play a game without quarantining in NY for two weeks before the game.

EDIT: It looks like I missed Pittsburgh. They could have two home games.

Mets and Yankees are hosting teams. Don’t see why exceptions wouldn’t be made for Cuse as well.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it's going to end up like 1918.
Some colleges didn't play at all, some played only a handful of games, some were able to play a larger schedule - GT was actually one of those, playing 7 games, 6 at home with two of them being against teams created at local army bases.

The plan in terms of games right now is games would be postponed and then if they can not be made up later than there is no counting the game. So one team may play 6 games this year, another may play 8 another may play 5, etc. and all standings will be determined by winning %.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it's going to end up like 1918.
Some colleges didn't play at all, some played only a handful of games, some were able to play a larger schedule - GT was actually one of those, playing 7 games, 6 at home with two of them being against teams created at local army bases.

The plan in terms of games right now is games would be postponed and then if they can not be made up later than there is no counting the game. So one team may play 6 games this year, another may play 8 another may play 5, etc. and all standings will be determined by winning %.
In effect these are going to be little more than exhibition games. Any "champion" will come with an asterisk.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Mmm, that's because they do. If not in the official conference records, certainly in the public's perception. *
I understand how astericks are used. But specific to your comment.... if they are in the official conference records (regarding champions), then they exist. If in public perception.. then they don't exist...at least as I perceive things. ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There will be no asterisk on this year's champion. As long as the games are played, it will be legitimate. If the official records don't asterisk it, neither will the public, in time.

There's the rub. If a bunch of games get cancelled and the schedules end up grossly uneven, it won't be viewed as legitimate. Let's say Clemson goes 3-1 losing to Notre Dame and the Wakies get stomped by Clemson but win it at 4-1. That's kind of an extreme example but it could well happen in this very uncertain year. The schedules were already uneven in our too-big conference, but this year they could get way out of whack.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
There will be no asterisk on this year's champion. As long as the games are played, it will be legitimate. If the official records don't asterisk it, neither will the public, in time.
Well, not really. This season will be akin to the strike shortened NFL seasons of 1982 and 1987... when these seasons are mentioned, they always come with the caveat of "the strike-shortened season of 1987" even though 1987 was reduced only to 15 games, but had three weeks of replacement players to reach that. 1982 was only 9 games and gets the same treatment. These certainly are "verbal asterisks" that have been used for over 30 years.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There's the rub. If a bunch of games get cancelled and the schedules end up grossly uneven, it won't be viewed as legitimate. Let's say Clemson goes 3-1 losing to Notre Dame and the Wakies get stomped by Clemson but win it at 4-1. That's kind of an extreme example but it could well happen in this very uncertain year. The schedules were already uneven in our too-big conference, but this year they could get way out of whack.
Hang the banner, Deacs!

But in that scenario we might be congratulating a team that has Clemson on the back end of their schedule or not at all.

If a season is played, I think attrition will probably be the #1 key to success this year, followed by schedule balance. And the definition of attrition this year expands to outbreaks/game cancellations/etc. in addition to losing individual players. We just took our first hit with Cochran gone.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Apparently there's still a chance we play UCF:

Let’s see in order for the game to be played there had better not be a hurricane, tornado, lightning, derecho, tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, sink hole, hail, heat wave, cold snap, ice storm, flood, avalanche, locusts, blizzard, drought, haboob, zombie apocalypse, asteroid hit, coronal mass ejection, nuclear explosion, wifi outage, big foot sighting, etc within 3k mi of either Atlanta, Orlando or any family member on UCF’s team. Of course if the 7th string punter gets a tummy ache they might not be able to play either.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let’s see in order for the game to be played there had better not be a hurricane, tornado, lightning, derecho, tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, sink hole, hail, heat wave, cold snap, ice storm, flood, avalanche, locusts, blizzard, drought, haboob, zombie apocalypse, asteroid hit, coronal mass ejection, nuclear explosion, wifi outage, big foot sighting, etc within 3k mi of either Atlanta, Orlando or any family member on UCF’s team. Of course if the 7th string punter gets a tummy ache they might not be able to play either.

I mean, you're not wrong...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Welp, there goes the UCF game.