2019 Season Previews

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
"Georgia Tech returns much of its team and nearly all its pitching staff, including the one-two starting punch of Xzavion Curry and Connor Thomas, as well as Tristin English and Brant Hurter. Position players who return include outfielders Chase Murray, Colin Hall, Nick Wilhite and Baron Radcliff, catcher Kyle McCann and infielders Oscar Serratos, Austin Wilhite, Luke Waddell and Michael Guldberg.

An influx of talented newcomers includes transfer Amos Willingham and freshmen Luke Bartnicki and Cort Roedig.

The Yellow Jackets lost catcher Joey Bart, who was the No. 2 player taken in the Major League Baseball draft, and second baseman Wade Bailey. "

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
D1 Baseball does not put Tech in Top25. Interesting Wake is #20 in this poll; but didn't make Top 40 (well deep in 'receiving votes' list) in Collegiate Baseball poll (where Tech was #17).

With that in mind... perhaps this is a good year for Tech not getting scheduled to meet these 3 ACC teams.... all predicted to be pretty strong (WF, FSU, NCST)

https://d1baseball.com/rankings/2019-d1baseball-preseason-top-25/

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
D1 Baseball does not put Tech in Top25. Interesting Wake is #20 in this poll; but didn't make Top 40 (well deep in 'receiving votes' list) in Collegiate Baseball poll (where Tech was #17).

With that in mind... perhaps this is a good year for Tech not getting scheduled to meet these 3 ACC teams.... all predicted to be pretty strong (WF, FSU, NCST)

https://d1baseball.com/rankings/2019-d1baseball-preseason-top-25/

Wow, the planets are aligning already!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, the planets are aligning already!!

Hopefully.

I was ready to get liquored up about our recruiting classes and then remembered past years. Remember the #4 class in 2015? With that class we got one top 25 finish for the next three years; 23rd at that. See pdf attached.

So I wouldn't pick GT to be in the top 25 either. We haven't converted the recruiting rankings into RPI results for a long time. My opinion is largely that is because of lack of quality pitching depth but the last couple years the defensive errors and missed double plays have increased.

Maybe this year is different. Hope is all we have right now.

Attachments

• Class Ranking versus RPI 2019.pdf
    34.8 KB · Views: 10

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Has there been any indication from anyone with direct involvement from the team on who our closer might be this year? Were there any clues from the fall game(s) or was that more of a 2-3 innings per pitcher type of deal. The problem with defensive errors and missed double plays (and the maddening overuse of the sacrifice bunt IMHO) notwithstanding, lack of a solid closer (which I guess falls under lack of quality pitching depth) can be a really devastating thing. Maybe it is just the "obviousness" of a blown save .... even the most novice of fan sees it and feels it ...... but it seems like over the last couple of years there have been games that changed the whole momentum of our season (NCSU anyone?) that we lost because we couldn't close the deal.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Has there been any indication from anyone with direct involvement from the team on who our closer might be this year? Were there any clues from the fall game(s) or was that more of a 2-3 innings per pitcher type of deal. The problem with defensive errors and missed double plays (and the maddening overuse of the sacrifice bunt IMHO) notwithstanding, lack of a solid closer (which I guess falls under lack of quality pitching depth) can be a really devastating thing. Maybe it is just the "obviousness" of a blown save .... even the most novice of fan sees it and feels it ...... but it seems like over the last couple of years there have been games that changed the whole momentum of our season (NCSU anyone?) that we lost because we couldn't close the deal.
No inside info—
I would love to see a weekend rotation of Curry, Thomas, Hurter which would allow English to be the closer. If English wants to start and CDH agrees with him being one of the best starting options, then I think we could see any of the following in a closer role: Bartnicki, Willingham, Carpenter (Hurter if he is a displaced starter).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 baseball has us in the top dozen that didn't make their top 25. I agree entirely, 100% and completely with their conclusion. Aaron Fitt likes GT and says good things about us; when he has we haven't fulfilled his expectations.

"Georgia Tech
The Yellow Jackets have taken a step back the past couple of seasons, but that trend could change in a big way in 2019. Tech has quite the intriguing weekend rotation with Xzavion Curry, rising Connor Thomas and two-way star and All-American Tristin English leading the way, while the offense is loaded with interesting bats, too, including hard-hitting Kyle McCann as the headliner with 15 home runs, along with toolsy Oscar Serratos and Chase Murray. It wouldn’t be remotely surprising to see the Jackets have a strong season, and get into the mix for a host spot at one point.
For now? We need to see it to believe it."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member