2019 Season Previews

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the D1 Baseball summary that I posted in mid-October:

"Aaron Fitt's "Fall Report" on GT is out. He has long liked GT. Conclusion: If our defense improves, we can be a top 25 team.

A lot of details on how the pitching has gotten better.
  • Connor Thomas - "analytics darling". Against USC he gave up some runs early then struck out 4 of 5.
  • Xzavion Curry - has the pitches and power but needed better control to start. Ended first with three straight SOs.
  • Tristin English - May be the nations premier 2 way player. Glad that he didn't get drafted or leave post draft!! Aaron noted it was a huge coup for us to get him back.
  • Hurter and Archer aren't pitching this fall.
  • Jake Lee - Looked good against USC and could be a mid reliever. For whatever reason, I really like Jake; may be his attitude on the hill.
  • Amos Willingham - Juco with three quality pitches. Start mid-week and then move to weekend or bullpen was Aaron's guess.
  • Luke Bartnicki - "crown jewel" of 2018 Fr recruiting class. Good against USC with 3 pitches. According to Hall, Luke has really improved his slider. (One of these days I'll figure out again how to tell what the pitch is when it's thrown.)
  • Cort Roedig - Fr good in his one USC inning.
Offense - good again with McCann, Murray, Serratos were some mentioned.

Defense - sucked (my words to paraphrase Aaron) against USC.
  • Waddell made some nice plays at second against USC.
  • Austin Wilhite - struggled early in the summer then went to NECBL and was an all star. So we'll see.
  • Oscar Serratos - "one of Tech's most phusically gifted players". Capable of making great plays at third but not consistent. Regardless, I love him on the base pads.
  • Baron Radcliffe - may get some time at first when Tristin isn't there. Needs to hit better with his power to spare.
  • Nick Wilhite - getting better hitting in Sun Belt League over summer. Hit a single and double against USC. If he gets the bat going (with his ninja mind game ability to get walks) there is no keeping him out of the line-up (my opinion). I looked up Nick's summer stats (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=206183 ). Hit 304 for Norcross Astros, which is a lot higher than his 155 last year (against better pitching).
It's the off season and most teams are projected top 25 potential right now. I'm cautiously optimistic, but like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding, nervous."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While we are going to have a lot of talent and a good team, so are a lot of other teams we play. Reading through all the D1 Baseball season forecasts, a bottom line summary is below. It's good to read about other programs to keep expectations realistic.

Only 4 teams will go to the CWS and D1 is obviously playing the Lake Woebegone everyone above average card. So reading between the lines and ranking, here's where D1 thinks teams will come out.

UNC - can go back to CWS. They were within a game of winning last year.
L'Ville - Get back to CWS like they used to do regularly.
WF - great pitching, has Omaha potential.
FSU - Martin last season - talent as good as 2017 team which went to Omaha.
Duke -possible CWS with their returning pitching.
GT - potential top 25. A lot of talent.
UVa - very good with 14 of 15 starters returning.
NC State - major factor in ACC.
Miami - new coach, haven't been to NCAAs in two years. Some talent.
Clemson - lost 4 players who made up more than 1/2 the offense.
VT - better than last year. (Ouch)

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for this. Tech baseball is the reason I started rooting for everything GT-
Acc is stacked for sure, looking forward to an entertaining season.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
While we are going to have a lot of talent and a good team, so are a lot of other teams we play. Reading through all the D1 Baseball season forecasts, a bottom line summary is below. It's good to read about other programs to keep expectations realistic.

Only 4 teams will go to the CWS and D1 is obviously playing the Lake Woebegone everyone above average card. So reading between the lines and ranking, here's where D1 thinks teams will come out.

UNC - can go back to CWS. They were within a game of winning last year.
L'Ville - Get back to CWS like they used to do regularly.
WF - great pitching, has Omaha potential.
FSU - Martin last season - talent as good as 2017 team which went to Omaha.
Duke -possible CWS with their returning pitching.
GT - potential top 25. A lot of talent.
UVa - very good with 14 of 15 starters returning.
NC State - major factor in ACC.
Miami - new coach, haven't been to NCAAs in two years. Some talent.
Clemson - lost 4 players who made up more than 1/2 the offense.
VT - better than last year. (Ouch)
Thank you.

What did you mean "4 will go to CWS..."?

As for ACC... it only helps if the conference is loaded.

VT better? That's fine as long as we go up there & win (sweep) that series. I particularly don't like all things Hokie.

Will be interesting if Clemson does take a slide back.

Miami had a ton of freshman a couple of years ago. Those guys should be in prime now. Hopefully... transition to new HC is painful for them.

Somewhere around 60 days to opening day. (y)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... What did you mean "4 will go to CWS..."? ......

Damned if I know. I was subconsciously splitting the difference between being wrong about the number of CWS teams (2) and Omaha teams (8). Maybe the Lake Woebegone effect that we should have 4 in the finals rather than two (tic).

I hope to see GT in Omaha again one year. Looking back at CWS history, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series the CWS has not been kind to the ACC recently. The exception was the 2015 UVa run where they barely made it to the ACC tourney and then caught fire. And then there is FSU, Clemson and UNC who have the three most appearances in the tourney without a CWS title.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Damned if I know. I was subconsciously splitting the difference between being wrong about the number of CWS teams (2) and Omaha teams (8). Maybe the Lake Woebegone effect that we should have 4 in the finals rather than two (tic).

I hope to see GT in Omaha again one year. Looking back at CWS history, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series the CWS has not been kind to the ACC recently. The exception was the 2015 UVa run where they barely made it to the ACC tourney and then caught fire. And then there is FSU, Clemson and UNC who have the three most appearances in the tourney without a CWS title.
1994 Tech who had a loaded line-up and just fell apart vs. Oklahoma (I still contend that in the current three game format we would've won the title). Varitek hit a HR in that game that still hasn't landed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Yes.
The year UVA won it all...2015... they beat Tech in ACCT "play in" game. Then proceeded to go 0-3 on pool play. Then bounce back big time going & winning national championship. Crazy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1994 Tech who had a loaded line-up and just fell apart vs. Oklahoma (I still contend that in the current three game format we would've won the title). Varitek hit a HR in that game that still hasn't landed.

"Falling apart" is typical as all 8 teams have a legitimate reason to think they can win it all.

Stop and ponder being an FSU fan never won despite 22 tries:
1957, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2017

Or Clemson fan who's teams clemson in more than football:
1958, 1959, 1976, 1977, 1980, 1991, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2010

Or UNC:
1960, 1966, 1978, 1989, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2018

When we make it again, I hope we win it all and get it over with!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
"Falling apart" is typical as all 8 teams have a legitimate reason to think they can win it all.

Stop and ponder being an FSU fan never won despite 22 tries:
1957, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2017

Or Clemson fan who's teams clemson in more than football:
1958, 1959, 1976, 1977, 1980, 1991, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2010

Or UNC:
1960, 1966, 1978, 1989, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2018

When we make it again, I hope we win it all and get it over with!

The run by UNCheat from 06-09 has to be particularly galling to the the tarholes given the talent on those teams

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...Tech is scheduled to play 20 games v 7 of the Top 25 in that poll:
UCLA(3)
UNC(8)
Louisville(9)
UGA(13)
Clemson(15)
Duke(20)
Auburn(23)

UCLA is going to be scary good. They were a game from Omaha last year with a young team. Most are returning; it seems all they lost was their catcher. They don't know that a pitcher with a 94 mph fastball and command of 4 pitches is their best starter ........

That home series 22-24 Feb against UCLA can go a long way to putting us on the map ........ or killing the buzz. I wish it were later in the season since I think our D will need to be worked out with all the changes.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ACC Coastal
http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2019/01/04/2019-cbd-preview-and-predictions-acc-coastal/

"Ga Tech is a sexy pick..." :kiss:

Almost certain it was the world renowned personal relationship [sex] therapist George P Burdell who once told "a friend" of mine... "Sexy will only get you so far, big boy. In quick order, you are going to have to PERFORM!"

ACC Atlantic
http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2019/01/04/2019-cbd-preview-and-predictions-acc-atlantic/

"Another point of emphasis this offseason for Georgia Tech has been cleaning up its infield defense."

Right now that's the biggest worry in the worry closet. I think we will clean up the infield defense like we do most years, just hope it's in time for UCLA.

GT finishing second to UNC would be a very good regular season. Duke and Miami and UVa should be very good too.