2019 FEI and PPD Data

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
No that’s ok. I’m just curious to see the YoY trend (or maybe a 5 year trend). An 87 ranking is not measurably better than what we had under Johnson’s DCs. As I said, the def looks better than it did under roof / woody. Better run fits, better coverage. It definitely wears down as the game progresses, but that’s a symptom of playing 35-40 minutes per game - as was the case in our win against NCSU last week.

I've been curious as well why the defense looks better but it isn't reflected in the stats. I think part of it is that with the offensive struggles the team has had this year they play more minutes and like you said get worn down.

But also, I think a reason why it's looked better is because we've created more tackles for loss this year.

So far this year we've averaged 5.2 Tackles For Loss per game which puts us tied with Tennessee for 97th in FBS. (no. 1 is UCF with 9.4 for reference)

97th is definitely not great but it is significantly better than the previous year where we were averaging 4.2 TFLPG and ranked 125th in FBS. Only ahead of Louisville, Bowling Green, Ga. State, and Navy. And we were at 4.3 TFLPG in 2017, 4.4 in 2016.

One full TFL per game improvement seems pretty good and definitely plays into the defense looking like they're better. If we can get 1 more TFLPG improvement that would put us in Bama territory.

Current year stats here:
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/467

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think some of the problem in assessing our D was how CU didn't score as efficiently against us as they are now, and we thought USF and others were better teams than they are.

Based on my PPDvPwr5 stat, so far this year, our D seems to be about where our D has been most years under CPJ, and our offense is about where our D has been most years under CPJ.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof's Appalachian State defense is ranked 18th in the country this year, per DFEI.
Wow that’s three times worse than last year (tic). He took a good defense and kept them good. Will see how he does in the future. I thought he did a good job at Penn State before us (never looked up the data, so it’s just eyeballin).

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our defense's problem is the same as it was under Woody and Roof before him. I saw flashes of changing it with Woody and early in the season this year. I believe our injuries affected play calling and some players who weren't ready are seeing reps before they otherwise would have. At the end of the day, we're going to have to stop catching blocks and work through them.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It does look like FEI finally updated. I’ll try to do the full summary later.
Total SOS: 38
Opposing Def SOS: 9
Opposing Off SOS: 86

Edit to say. I’m bummed Bill Connely works for espn now. SP was removed from Football outsiders for this year and I don’t know where to get the full data set for it. He only posts the overall off/def/sp teams now on espn article that I can find.
Overall SOS 38 is not what I was expecting given the amount of criticism of the weak ACC especially our division on this board. Thanks for the data

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Overall SOS 38 is not what I was expecting given the amount of criticism of the weak ACC especially our division on this board. Thanks for the data
Humans equate tough schedules as 2-3 marquee games. In reality, playing 9 above average teams is much harder than 2-3 good teams, and 9 average or below.

slugboy

Staff member
It does look like FEI finally updated. I’ll try to do the full summary later.
Total SOS: 38
Opposing Def SOS: 9
Opposing Off SOS: 86

Edit to say. I’m bummed Bill Connely works for espn now. SP was removed from Football outsiders for this year and I don’t know where to get the full data set for it. He only posts the overall off/def/sp teams now on espn article that I can find.

Ask him about it on Twitter. He’s pretty active there.
On one hand, he’s got an ESPN paywall that some things may be behind. On the other hand, I think a lot of his engagement is people who like to take his data and go deeper and look at other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
Conference rankings—ACC is ahead of the G5 at end of the season. Coastal passes Atlantic

@ESPN_BillC: SP+ CONFERENCE AND DIVISION AVERAGES

Some interesting division movement this week: AAC West jumps P12 South for 6th, ACC COASTAL jumps AAC Atlantic for 8th!!!, and MWC Mountain jumps AAC East for 10th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk