2019-20 KenPom rankings

hotpocketsyum

Georgia Tech Fan
Preseason rankings Just dropped last night

GT comes in at 66th, 11th in the confrence.

Sandwiched between Miami and Pitt who are 65th and 67th respectively.

hotpocketsyum

Georgia Tech Fan
So we're in the last 4 in? :D

No. I know its sarcastic, but for those of you from afar watching, Usually last 4 in will be closer to the mid 30s to 40s as there are some 30 odd confrence champions which will have their rankings a bit lower. Looks to be an off-year in general for the ACC, with the big 12 and Big 10 primed to fight for those top spots

GT_EE78

Banned
this isn't a bad place to start out. it's basically near the bottom of the P5 teams. playing over .500 against P5 teams might be enough to get into 30's/40's.
For comparison kenpom had us at 115 end of last season. I think it's going to be a good season.

hotpocketsyum

Georgia Tech Fan
How can KenPom factor in our transfers? Is it all just based on last year?

he tries to do a little with some of that, but with basketball being a sport where teams change dramatically year to year, recruiting and whatnot plays a factor as well. So especially with no data, a lot of it is a bit of a stretch

GT_EE78

Banned
Bama was at #70 and just beat us by almost 30. I'd give Kenpom 10-12 games to start getting believable.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They lost a couple guys to knee injuries in the preseason. Lewis/Petty/Bolden/Jones/Reese are all pretty good players. Lewis is a darkhorse SEC POTY. I had them in the back end of my top 25

I guess by "this year" I meant that Id expect them to make an appearance there at some point.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They lost a couple guys to knee injuries in the preseason. Lewis/Petty/Bolden/Jones/Reese are all pretty good players. Lewis is a darkhorse SEC POTY. I had them in the back end of my top 25

I guess by "this year" I meant that Id expect them to make an appearance there at some point.
Not to mention that they upgraded substantially in the coaching department. Oats will have these guys ready to run through a brick wall for him.

Deleted member 2897

Yea so basically these ore-season calculations can be anywhere from accurate to meaningless. When we have transfers plus nearly all of our starters back, one would expect us to play materially better basketball. Those sorts of things don’t get factored in.

hotpocketsyum

Georgia Tech Fan
Yea so basically these ore-season calculations can be anywhere from accurate to meaningless. When we have transfers plus nearly all of our starters back, one would expect us to play materially better basketball. Those sorts of things don’t get factored in.

kenpom is historically good.

With a post season ban, there could be a lack of motivation as well.

Pre season rankings are almost always useless, but they are hella fun to argue with on message boards, so here we are

Deleted member 2897

Well KenPom didn’t age well. We just beat #40 on the road. The #6 team in the ACC. IIWII.