2018 is the door unlocked?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
#3 rain/weather.Tech fans have to be concerned when something that's uncontrollable as rain can really effect the outcome of a game due the offense we use.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
#3 rain/weather.Tech fans have to be concerned when something that's uncontrollable as rain can really effect the outcome of a game due the offense we use.

Rain effects everyone’s offense. At least we can change ours slightly without completely abandoning our normal game plan (running inside vs. outside). I would think that air raid / predominantly pass teams would be impacted by rain more than us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
i think he is thinking we will be at about the average. Basically tm started above 50 % and gradually went down to above 25%. for a season avg of 37% .

But even a very low percentage can be ok in right circumstances.

Looking at last 4 games Virginia 6 for 22 w int, vt 2 for 8, Duke 3 for 14, uga 2 for 9.
That's 13 for 56 = less than 25%.
Now look at what yards we got w each reception.
V 6 catches @ 30 yds per catch,
vt 2 catches @ 70 yds per catch,
duke at 3 catches @ 29 yds per catch
and uga 2 catches at 15 yds per catch.

Doubling the completions (×5% to 50%) in 4 games from 13 to 26 would add 440 ydz of passing or 110 yds per game AND 3 FIRST DOWNS!!!

Adding 110 to total offense for last 4 games
v 220 rush 179 pass = 399 + 110 = 509yds
vt 261 rush 140 pass = 401 + 110 = 511yds
d 277 rush 82 pass = 359 + 110 = 469 yds
uga 188 rush 38 pass = 240 +110 = 350yds.

imo with q3 more completions spread overx4 games
we easily win virginia,
win winn big against vt
we play duke close despite a defensive collapse in second half.
we are not embarrassed by by uga.
the virginia game.

In my wishful thinking for 18 we will have a couple of 70 % completion games that we win by 20 plus .

At that percentage u will hear -" they can't stop these yellow jackets".

Someone needs to fwd this to CPJ every other day until kickoff lol

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Rain effects everyone’s offense. At least we can change ours slightly without completely abandoning our normal game plan (running inside vs. outside). I would think that air raid / predominantly pass teams would be impacted by rain more than us.

Except that they aren't. In terms of route-running and DB being able to react, it's a wash. The WR isn't as fast but he knows where he is going, if anything the slipping is a plus for the offense.

The balls are not made of old school leather anymore so they don't get crazy heavy like they used to. They do slip a teeny bit more when wet, but again it's not much. This a marginal plus for the defense. Ultimately, it just bogs down both teams pretty evenly.

Rain affects us more than other teams because so much of what we do is predicated on ALL of our personnel running and cutting at full speed. A lineman slipping for us and missing the MLB is just as devastating as when a conventional offense has the ball-carrier slip and fall.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Nice work Thanks .

I also went back and looked and a few thing stood out to me. Every time we have scored my points then our opponents we have won. Also if you look close any time we have held our opponent to less points then we have scored we also won. So after drinking a few beers it looks like we can win if our offense and defense are good.
My testing and calculations verify your findings. [emoji39]

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Get this - The last 9 completions = 4 to them and. 5 to us.

Coach must have a stomach of iron.

IMO
TQ can't be depended upon to improve w passing frequency.. I believe he will be much better but his height 5 9/10 is very limiting when they know we need to pass. i love this kids warrior mentality. I think the team does as well.

ICE-- you just gave us the reason we probably won't improve on passing much.Its too hard.Then the experience factor will be offset by losing our best WR by FAR. also-If the OL goes bust,the passing game for sure is dead.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...aches-their-everlasting-quest-coach-turnovers

Turnovers are based on luck and 86% of turnovers are by the team losing. Also some good stats on turnovers on 3rd and long - run the damn ball. Maybe this year will be our year. I agree they matter, just don't know if you can really control them that much.
Yep. It’s a unicorn coaches chase. The hope is that Woody can maximize the output of the talent we have by using their skills in a more efficient manner, and hopefully improve tackling.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes, key number two is percent completion by the main QB for each year.... except 2010 when you had 2 main QBs.

Also, it is game of inches right. I feel the data indicates that 2017 would be a winning season with a bowl with a 45% to 50% completion rate. 1 or 2 extra reception a game is a game changer for GT, especially when they are TD passes, red zone passes, or 1st downs...

Yes, score more and make them score less.... improve where we are not strong and that will happen.

The Miami game started slick and Miami covering the middle. GT started going outside and was scoring. Then the rain came and Benson went out and the scoring dried. Rain bad!

Forced turnovers is Key #1. 2017 had low or normal turnovers... just few take away.
Miami made adjustments on defense and we couldn't adjust to those and keep rolling. It wasn't just the rain, our O went dry before the rain came.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Rain affects us more than other teams because so much of what we do is predicated on ALL of our personnel running and cutting at full speed. A lineman slipping for us and missing the MLB is just as devastating as when a conventional offense has the ball-carrier slip and fall.
This ^^^!

Agreed. It's interesting - no one complained about rain until last year and now, all the sudden, our offense is the Wicked Witch of the West during a rain shower. I don't get it and think it's a load of horsecrap.

Except that they aren't. In terms of route-running and DB being able to react, it's a wash. The WR isn't as fast but he knows where he is going, if anything the slipping is a plus for the offense.

The balls are not made of old school leather anymore so they don't get crazy heavy like they used to. They do slip a teeny bit more when wet, but again it's not much. This a marginal plus for the defense. Ultimately, it just bogs down both teams pretty evenly.

I don't get that. ALL offenses involve personnel running and cutting at full speed, to various degrees on various plays. The OL for Alabama is just as prone to slip and miss the MLB as any other team - ours seems to be the only one that complains about it.

We seem to be awfully fragile and delicate on offense if rain just shuts us down, like no other team in football.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess I am no one as I complained last year... there was one post that almost debunk my irrational fear of rain before the start of last season. Rain bad!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't get that. ALL offenses involve personnel running and cutting at full speed, to various degrees on various plays. The OL for Alabama is just as prone to slip and miss the MLB as any other team - ours seems to be the only one that complains about it.

We seem to be awfully fragile and delicate on offense if rain just shuts us down, like no other team in football.
th

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rewatched the Miami game and the momentum changed significantly when the ran came for both offense and defense. Kervonte was out before the rain and GT was still moving the ball well. I think the rain and the new sod combined to make it even worse.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
You covered it near the end, but finding a kicker is absolutely key #4. Not only does it change outcomes of games directly (UT) but if you don't have confidence in the kicking game it changes how you call a game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You covered it near the end, but finding a kicker is absolutely key #4. Not only does it change outcomes of games directly (UT) but if you don't have confidence in the kicking game it changes how you call a game.
At the end of our last drive in the Miami game we were in long fieldgoal range, but decided to go for it instead of kick a field goal.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
At the end of our last drive in the Miami game we were in long fieldgoal range, but decided to go for it instead of kick a field goal.

Are you talking about the drive where we punted from just outside the 40? If so, was that because of lack of confidence or field conditions due to the rain? Just not sure who would have attempted a FG from 50+ in those conditions with 2+ min left rather than punt it away pinning them inside the 10 with the lead. I think that may have just been showing too much unjustified confidence in the D to hold them out of range and/or get the ball back.