2018 GT Football Season - General discussions

Benson turns those 3 yard carries into 5 and believe it or not, maybe prior to injury, was one of the fastest guys on the team. It will be interesting next year as we will have 4 very good guys at the B-back spot. As for the continued statements about Mills, at his time he was not our best B-back, M Marshall had the home run ability.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Now, here we have to disagree. If he returns to health, I think Benson will be a high mid-level pick in the draft. He's exactly what NFL teams are looking for these days: a fast guy who is hard to knock off his feet and runs with attitude toward a hole. He's a little short, but there are several NFL RBs in his range for size. Amerson is even more what they have in mind.

But Benson has to get well and have a good season running the ball. For that we should all pray, light incense, sacrifice sacred chickens … anything it takes.
Benson is a good college player and even if he comes back next year and puts up 1200+ yards I don’t see him being drafted. He has no elite tools

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not to derail this thread even more, but a potential backfield lineup of:

QB: Oliver
BB: Benson
AB: Mason (who has shown great blocking IMO)
AB: Howard/others

would be a power run game like we may have never seen on the flats...

An interesting idea except that Jerry is not quick enough to play A back. He is a power running B back period. I am not at all sure how Kirvonte is going to respond to his knee surgery. He may not be all the way back come fall. Mason is fast enough to play A back but he might be stuck at B back. We will see. What we really need to do is clone the big, fast A back we had a few years ago who mostly played with Tevin. Name escapes me but he was a load to handle let me tell you.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I sometimes question whether some of y'all even watch the game with respect to Benson. The kid is good. Maybe not Mills level but he may have gotten there this year.

I honestly believe that Mills was going to be the closest thing to Dwyer that we would have in quite a while. Did not have Dwyer's elite combination of size and speed but man he was the prototype of what you look for in a B back.

An interesting idea except that Jerry is not quick enough to play A back. He is a power running B back period. I am not at all sure how Kirvonte is going to respond to his knee surgery. He may not be all the way back come fall. Mason is fast enough to play A back but he might be stuck at B back. We will see. What we really need to do is clone the big, fast A back we had a few years ago who mostly played with Tevin. Name escapes me but he was a load to handle let me tell you.
Anthony Allen, maybe?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Anree is definitely still raw and will need a good combine, I don't think he is that undersized. Tak McKinley was taken by the Falcons at 6'3" 250 and Anree is listed at 6'3" 245 right now.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
As much as I love and appreciate Anree, he is just not big enough. We don't have anyone on this roster with the exception of maybe a couple of the redshirt freshmen that are early round NFL prospects.
I don’t think he will be drafted as a DE but I could see him being productive or at least worthy of a late round pick at OLB. Someone like Dee Ford (1st round) or Justin Houston (1st round worthy) come to mind, although I know he’s not as quick as they are but he has comparable size and he’s showing up on tape.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I sometimes question whether some of y'all even watch the game with respect to Benson. The kid is good. Maybe not Mills level but he may have gotten there this year.

I watched Benson and Mason closely in the Alcorn St. game, Benson was suspended for the first quarter or half so i got to see a lot of Mason. When Benson finally came in i thought he looked considerably faster and hit the hole harder and with a quicker burst. Don’t get me wrong, Mason has grown up quick this season and i like his game a lot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Benson didn't get many snaps this season, but the snaps he did get you can tell the difference between him and Howard/Mason. Benson has the ability to cut in the hole and after contact through the LOS, AND he's gotten stronger which helps his leverage.

Howard and Mason will get there. They don't have the seasoning that Benson does. Howard and Mason are both really good BBs and will only get better.

This is a GOOD problem to have.