2018 GT Football Season - General discussions

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
No offense to this kid, because he seems to be a baller (and also, there’s a poster on this board with “amerson” in his name, ie he may have some family reading here), but no way does anyone come in and take Benson’s job if he’s healthy. Even as good as our 2 guys have been, it’s plainly obviously that they are a step down from KirVonte. He’s our most talented RB since Dwyer, with definite NFL potential.

I don’t see Mason & Howard as a step down from Kirvonte at all, care to elaborate?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think many would argue that Kirvonte has everything that Mason and Howard have plus more homerun ability. I'm not 100% sure it's true, but it's not an unreasonable argument from the film they've all put up so far.

I guess I don’t see it. Kirvonte wasn’t exactly Dwyer, TQM lead the team in rushing last season.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I don’t see it. Kirvonte wasn’t exactly Dwyer, TQM lead the team in rushing last season.
Just barely though. Had 93 more yards on 43 more carries. TQM averaged 4.6 YPC, Benson at 5.2 YPC in 2017.

This year, TQM is 34 yards ahead of Mason on 45 more carries. TQM averaging 4.7 YPC, Mason at 6.9 YPC. Benson was at 7.7 YPC on a small sample size (15 carries).

I agree that Mason is the one that will be hard to unseat.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Mason averaged over a yard more currently than Benson in comparison.

Kirvonte: 5.2 yards per carry
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kirvonte-benson-1.html

Mason: 6.9 yards per carry.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jordan-mason-1.html

Where’s the drop off?

Just barely though. Had 93 more yards on 43 more carries. TQM averaged 4.6 YPC, Benson at 5.2 YPC in 2017.

This year, TQM is 34 yards ahead of Mason on 45 more carries. TQM averaging 4.7 YPC, Mason at 6.9 YPC. Benson was at 7.7 YPC on a small sample size (15 carries).

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It’s not just stats, but the total package of what they bring to the table. Defenses had to focus on KirVonte to be able to slow him down, opening up a whole lot more room for TaQuon to run through last year. Also, Mason and Howard are working as a tandem, while Benson was THE guy last year. He would have even better numbers if he had someone to help share the load to help keep him fresh. I don’t want to sound like I’m bad-mouthing the guys we’re riding this year, because they have been good so far, I just see Benson on another level. It’ll be nice having all 3 of those guys, plus Malloy and Amerson if there’s enough reps for them to get a real shot, although I imagine a couple of those guys moving to AB.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So this is how I see it. Benson is Taylor made for our offense in the fact that he’s hard to take down and he gets the tough yards. That’s imo is why he was the starter. On the other hand Mason just ran the hardest I’ve seen this year and was hard to bring down against VT. Mason also has a very good jump cut and hits the hole pretty hard. Howard is probably a cross between Benson and Mason imo. I don’t really see a drop off because they do things so differently. While Benson might get you an extra 5 yards by dragging a defender that Mason or Howard might not get. Howard or Mason might get an extra 5 yards that Benson might not get from a jump cut or something. Really, they all bring something different and valuable to the table. If we are talking about NFL , I’m going with Mason because he is more of a typical NFL back with his jump cut, speed, vision ect. He also does pretty good at letting a play develop, go back and watch where he slipped against VT on what could have been a possible TD. He had two jump cuts and read his OL pretty well.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The main thing is that they all hit the hole hard, with authority. They also all now have experience/knowledge, and with talent to go with it they're able to come close to maximizing every opportunity/yard available and then some. And they don't go down unless someone(s) actually takes them to the ground by force. That's why we're able to have this debate, and GT is better for it. We haven't always had this.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Not to derail this thread even more, but a potential backfield lineup of:

QB: Oliver
BB: Benson
AB: Mason (who has shown great blocking IMO)
AB: Howard/others

would be a power run game like we may have never seen on the flats...
Spot on... with D. Smith and N. Cottrell, and Whitley subing in as ABs

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I like Benson but comparing him to Dwyer is silly. Dwyer was the best RB in the country in 2008. Kirvonte was the 3rd best RB on the team before departures. He’s a bowling ball of a BB with a real uphill battle to think about making an nfl roster.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I like Benson but comparing him to Dwyer is silly. Dwyer was the best RB in the country in 2008. Kirvonte was the 3rd best RB on the team before departures. He’s a bowling ball of a BB with a real uphill battle to think about making an nfl roster.
Now, here we have to disagree. If he returns to health, I think Benson will be a high mid-level pick in the draft. He's exactly what NFL teams are looking for these days: a fast guy who is hard to knock off his feet and runs with attitude toward a hole. He's a little short, but there are several NFL RBs in his range for size. Amerson is even more what they have in mind.

But Benson has to get well and have a good season running the ball. For that we should all pray, light incense, sacrifice sacred chickens … anything it takes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Now, here we have to disagree. If he returns to health, I think Benson will be a high mid-level pick in the draft. He's exactly what NFL teams are looking for these days: a fast guy who is hard to knock off his feet and runs with attitude toward a hole. He's a little short, but there are several NFL RBs in his range for size. Amerson is even more what they have in mind.

But Benson has to get well and have a good season running the ball. For that we should all pray, light incense, sacrifice sacred chickens … anything it takes.
I like Benson, but for him to be a high mid round RB he will really need to work on a jump cut and the ability to do more than being just a bowling ball. If you look at all the high to mid round RB picks most of them are a elite with a jump cut, speed or something of that nature. When you get to the NFL those dudes hit harder and makes it hard for you to brake tackles without change of direction/jump cut/vision. Like I said, I like Benson and he’s a good ball player so this is not a hit on him, but very few players have the ability to make the NFL. However, it would be nice if he does make it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see a draftable player on the roster, maybe Parker, but he would have to have an explosive combine with 20lbs of addictional weight.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd like to piggyback on the BBack discussion, but does anyone feel like maybe Coach Candeto might be let go after this year and replaced by Coach Cook or someone else? The fumbles from the BBacks (and QB) have been really bad since he's been coaching the position and CPJ has been talking about how it's bad coaching and has even gotten more hands-on with the QBs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to piggyback on the BBack discussion, but does anyone feel like maybe Coach Candeto might be let go after this year and replaced by Coach Cook or someone else? The fumbles from the BBacks (and QB) have been really bad since he's been coaching the position and CPJ has been talking about how it's bad coaching and has even gotten more hands-on with the QBs.

Not sure. But i mentioned weeks ago I thought candeto was in over his head. Too big a challenge program and burden for such a young coach. He may be ready in 5 years after spending time somewhere else.