2018 Draft & 2019 Team

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Olson looks at the other thread about whether our pitchers get better or not, he should sign and begin his professional career.

I think Olson and all the families are smart enough to know the facts much better than those (including me) on this board. This is their life. I still think it comes down to the signing bonus. They were smart to get into a good negotiating position with no losing result; getting drafted out of HS is a real accolade whether you take it or not.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
5 days to signing deadline....... all as expected so far. http://beesball.com/draft2018.html

Bart & Simmons signed as did Stallings.

Olson hasn't signed .... no word like Bartnicki who says he's coming to GT.

Unfortunately, Wade hasn't signed; or at least gotten a good enough offer to sign up to. Hope he does well, but the odds are very long when you are drafted so low. Even if you get a chance, the teams treat the minor league players like a puppy mill. I think Wade will do great wherever he goes. One of our best leaders last year.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
5 days to signing deadline....... all as expected so far. http://beesball.com/draft2018.html

Bart & Simmons signed as did Stallings.

Olson hasn't signed .... no word like Bartnicki who says he's coming to GT.

Unfortunately, Wade hasn't signed; or at least gotten a good enough offer to sign up to. Hope he does well, but the odds are very long when you are drafted so low. Even if you get a chance, the teams treat the minor league players like a puppy mill. I think Wade will do great wherever he goes. One of our best leaders last year.
Olson has now officially signed with the Brewers. Gainesville Times says for 440k

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Finley@jackson_finley 16m16 minutes ago
More

Excited to say I’ve committed to Georgia Tech#GoJackets
1f41d.png
26be.png

DhguNv1WsAAH2Qq.jpg

DhguNv3WkAA3Knd.jpg

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That's what Beesball.com has too. In the $125K pool he got $440K. If he were my son, I'd recommend he sign too.
Just noticed that Mississippi State had two first round draft picks decide NOT to sign and go to school there. The Braves #1 pick was one of them, and his slot was worth over $2 million (although the Braves reportedly offered less because of a wrist injury to the pitcher). Two #1 picks deciding to pass up the big bucks to go to play college ball. Wow. That NEVER happens to GT.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Just noticed that Mississippi State had two first round draft picks decide NOT to sign and go to school there. The Braves #1 pick was one of them, and his slot was worth over $2 million (although the Braves reportedly offered less because of a wrist injury to the pitcher). Two #1 picks deciding to pass up the big bucks to go to play college ball. Wow. That NEVER happens to GT.
I think there’s a good chance that Carter Stewart goes to a JUCO in Florida and not Miss St so that he can enter the draft again next year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think there’s a good chance that Carter Stewart goes to a JUCO in Florida and not Miss St so that he can enter the draft again next year.
Perhaps...I do wonder why the Braves used a #1 pick on someone when they did not like the MRI results and only offered him 40% of the slot value. I mean, if you think he's injured, why not pass on him and go after someone else?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps...I do wonder why the Braves used a #1 pick on someone when they did not like the MRI results and only offered him 40% of the slot value. I mean, if you think he's injured, why not pass on him and go after someone else?
THIS!

An MLB club losing a high draft pick to his college of choice isn't in any way an indictment of GT. It's on the MLB club for a colossal failure in doing its due diligence.

Related... but not specific to these MSU guys (that I know of)... to think the calculus is about the money & that's pretty much it, is way over-simplifying things &/or painting with a very broad brush. There could be a LOT of reasons an 18 yr old decides to stay out of a professional environment & opt for college.... even the elite of the elite. Most that age are not close to being ready for that. ...& the downside is REAL & long term.. potentially.

Of course, the MLB club SHOULD be clued into a prospect's situation & not draft a guy who isn't locked into going pro.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken, the MRI was done after Stewart was drafted by the Braves. I think that this is the way it goes with all of the players drafted. I'm kind of glad that the Braves didn't sign him though. If he's not willing to take $4.5 million now, then heaven knows what he will ask for in free agency.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken, the MRI was done after Stewart was drafted by the Braves. I think that this is the way it goes with all of the players drafted. I'm kind of glad that the Braves didn't sign him though. If he's not willing to take $4.5 million now, then heaven knows what he will ask for in free agency.
This but from what I heard he was offered around 2 million and not 4.5 million (want he wanted). Braves had to offer at least 40% of his slot value which came out to 1.992 million to receive the #9th overall pick in the 19 draft.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
This but from what I heard he was offered around 2 million and not 4.5 million (want he wanted). Braves had to offer at least 40% of his slot value which came out to 1.992 million to receive the #9th overall pick in the 19 draft.

The real blame if there is any would be on the Draft Pick's scout for the region and the advisor. Sounds like his advisor was feeding the scout with some bad info. The scout would have been having these conversations of what if - wonder who the kid's "advisor" was/is. The kid may have had insurance on the situation. That happened about 3 years ago with the number 1 draft pick Brady Aiken. He signed with the Astros, MRI showed an issue with his elbow, he said no to the money they offered, had insurance and sure enough he had to have Tommy John surgery. Went to IMG and was redrafted but make no mistake, that kid has made way over way his original offer was from the Astros with the insurance and the re-pick a year later with the Indians.

It is usually a strategy with the advisor, player and family if they have opted out. I am quite sure this Braves pick has insurance on his wrist if anything happens now and he will be set. Insurance is quite expensive and a gamble the family will take if the money wasn't high enough.

A similar situation happened with Jonathan Thomas in his high school draft year and the Orioles, the Orioles were right.

My understanding is that the team cannot ask for you to do any medical procedure/x-ray/mri prior to the draft but you do have to supply all of your medical records to the system prior to the draft. But it's interesting the Braves wouldn't have passed on him unless they thought they could gamble with with the kid and could offer the 40%, they had bad info from the scout through the advisor/family - the family wasn't being truthful with the team or their advisor wasn't being truthful with the scout. That is what happened with Aiken, he was offered the 40% and he passed...game one at IMG, poof...had to have surgery.