2018 Draft & 2019 Team

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's what the draft / eligibility looks like to me. The biggest and really only draft question is English. My guess today is that he'll not get drafted high enough to go. Currently I don't see anyone having him in the top 5 rounds. He then has next year to improve as a rJr and not get the Senior screwing by the MLB draft.
6bl6355zff6bs5z6g.jpg

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as what we lose this year, the biggest loss will be Joey Bart. Then I'll really miss Wade Bailey's reliability at second.

There are a bunch of players who haven't played much this year and may or may not decide to hang it up. I have no inside information, just impressions.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
It will interesting to see what they do with the middle infield next year, especially if simmons comes to tech. Honestly, I think Serratos will be our best hitter next year and fill that hole left by Bart

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The draft will kill us next year, so we better make a lot of noise next year. I believe that Murray, McCann, Curry, Thomas, and English will all be drafted very high in the 2019 draft.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The draft will kill us next year, so we better make a lot of noise next year. I believe that Murray, McCann, Curry, Thomas, and English will all be drafted very high in the 2019 draft.

Having that much 2019 talent for the draft is a good problem(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Let's hope for our own selfish reasons that English's 4.03 ERA and 2-1 record keeps him out of the higher rounds. But English is going to just keep getting better this year and has 3 regular season starts, 1 ACC tourney start and maybe an NCAA start. His bat and "just" fielding isn't good enough to get him drafted yet. I think English staying on the team could be the difference between hosting and not hosting next year's regionals.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I was asked by a player parent about the rule. He played just a few games this year, so it seems to me there is a chance. Whether he wants to, I have no inside on that. But he is still in school.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, with a 2-3 record and 4.50 ERA and arm soreness, I doubt Tristan will get drafted very high this year. He has gotten better as the year has gone on and I think he'll be a lot better pitching next year. Add playing 1st and hitting as a bonus.

Just looking for a silver lining after our 6th straight loss to UGAg, this is the only one I could think of.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well, with a 2-3 record and 4.50 ERA and arm soreness, I doubt Tristan will get drafted very high this year. He has gotten better as the year has gone on and I think he'll be a lot better pitching next year. Add playing 1st and hitting as a bonus.

Just looking for a silver lining after our 6th straight loss to UGAg, this is the only one I could think of.
We have 7 freshmen and sophomores that start this year that will be back. As well as all 4 starting pitchers.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
2019–
OF: Murray LF, Hall CF, Radcliff RF. Key subs-N Wilhite, Guldberg, Ryan Miller (FR)

1B: English
2B: A. Wilhite/Waddell
SS: Kendall Simmons (FR)/A. Wilhite
3B: Serratos/Simmons
C: McCann

SP: Curry, Thomas, Hurter
Closer: English
Bartnicki (FR) if he gets on campus will compete for Sunday spot and weekday starter spot
Key relievers: Archer, Winborne, Carpenter
Then a lot of other arms that will have to prove they can contribute

Question is who else plays 1B other than English. Does McCann only catch or also play some 1B? Backup catchers are Taylor and Turley. Serratos might be a potential backup (or starting if English is Dh only) 1B if Simmons ends up on campus.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
2019–
OF: Murray LF, Hall CF, Radcliff RF. Key subs-N Wilhite, Guldberg, Ryan Miller (FR)

1B: English
2B: A. Wilhite/Waddell
SS: Kendall Simmons (FR)/A. Wilhite
3B: Serratos/Simmons
C: McCann

SP: Curry, Thomas, Hurter
Closer: English
Bartnicki (FR) if he gets on campus will compete for Sunday spot and weekday starter spot
Key relievers: Archer, Winborne, Carpenter
Then a lot of other arms that will have to prove they can contribute

Question is who else plays 1B other than English. Does McCann only catch or also play some 1B? Backup catchers are Taylor and Turley. Serratos might be a potential backup (or starting if English is Dh only) 1B if Simmons ends up on campus.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Serratos start at 1B and be an intergal part of the pen. You could alternate him and English between 1B and DH. I think Simmons will start at 3rd (if he makes it on campus which I think he will) and if he doesn't, then it wouldn't surprise me to see Miller at 3rd. Waddell and Wilhite will be up the middle. I would really like to see a starting outfield of Murray, Guldberg, and Hall.

Edit: The backup catcher will be Turley and he is going to really impress next year.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan

The one thing to point out is Craport last year went in the 11th round and got around $125K so perhaps Tristan would consider going instead of sticking around. Depends on how much he wants to make of his career at Tech, does he want another year to maybe only get maybe $25K? So I think we count out Tristan for 2019.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The one thing to point out is Craport last year went in the 11th round and got around $125K so perhaps Tristan would consider going instead of sticking around. Depends on how much he wants to make of his career at Tech, does he want another year to maybe only get maybe $25K? So I think we count out Tristan for 2019.
He is only a RS sophomore though. If he comes back one more year, he still has that leverage as a JR.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He is only a RS sophomore though. If he comes back one more year, he still has that leverage as a JR.
Correct, English has the most to gain coming back for another year. Unless some scouts saw enough today in his pitching (along with what they saw from HS) to be willing to spend some decent money on him this year.

I truly think he could come back next year and be a Top 3 round pick as a pitcher...of course that would require an incredible season from him.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tristan could get a good draft offer but I doubt it now. He ended up with a 4.50 ERA and sore arm which held him out a bit (if you believe the coaches). So it would be a big risk for a team to pay more than $200K which is probably what it would take.

I think he'll be back and "should" be one of our top 2 pitchers and best 1st baseman.

But if he gets an offer of $200K or more he should take it and go. The offers can be whatever the team works into their cap. Given how many of our pitchers have regressed this year, you never know what next year will bring.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He took part in Senior Day festivities. All indications are he's headed to medical school to be a dentist. Interesting it's something that has always come up off & on throughout his career (the dentist thing). I wish him all the best.

Being a dentist, he'll be set for life and its great he has that as something he really wants to do. I wouldn't be surprised if others in his family are dentists. Our two local dentists all feature multiple dentists from the same family. There is life after baseball!