2018-2019 GT Hoops Post Mortem Thread

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
He is turning Auburn into a brand. He is making money for the NCAA. They dont want o mess with the bottom line.
I honestly think it's a matter of time before Aub gets hit with something because of Pearl. But it seems we've all learned that it's worth it. If you cheat big, the punishment is never as big as the reward. It's only when you cheat small like we have that you pay more than you gain.

If Aub makes it to the FF in the next few years, and later has their wins vacated, I doubt their fans will care. It sucks, but it's the state of college sports now. Except in rare cases, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't competin'

Maybe that's why I watch less than I used to, or maybe I'm just old and crotchety and want all these players to get off my lawn.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I honestly think it's a matter of time before Aub gets hit with something because of Pearl. But it seems we've all learned that it's worth it. If you cheat big, the punishment is never as big as the reward. It's only when you cheat small like we have that you pay more than you gain.

If Aub makes it to the FF in the next few years, and later has their wins vacated, I doubt their fans will care. It sucks, but it's the state of college sports now. Except in rare cases, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't competin'

Maybe that's why I watch less than I used to, or maybe I'm just old and crotchety and want all these players to get off my lawn.

This is why some have said LSU should just let Will Wade coach. LSU has high potential to make a run. The NCAA can delete the results, but the fans will always have the memories.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is why some have said LSU should just let Will Wade coach. LSU has high potential to make a run. The NCAA can delete the results, but the fans will always have the memories.

Greenburg used this logic to explain why Smart was reinstated despite the "strong assed offer" he received. He isn't on the tape so there is a bit of wiggle room - at least from a PR basis - and if he is convicted they are screwed already so why not go all the way in and put him back on the roster.

slugboy

Staff member
I tend to generally agree. Maybe Tech's recruiting strategy has to be signing mostly Devoe/Banks level guys who are developed as opposed to 5-star types who might be instant stars. The recruiting methods used in Bobby's day, and to some extent Hewitt's day, might cause a recruiter to HAVE to do some 'splaining these days. Nevertheless, I'm optimistic that 'we can be all that we can be' in the next year or so.
We could have had some solid 4* talent in this year’s class, but Pastner bet big on 5* players and lost out.
If he’d hit, I’d be talking about how smart he was as a recruiter. Looking back, pulling in the players he passed on would have set us up nicely next year and the years after, and we’d have started hitting on big names in the next year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The recruiting thing is really annoying but the team is getting incrementally better. Last year we had a NBA first round draft pick and seniors absorbing major minutes. This year we had a Junior who practiced during the offseason as if he wasn't going to play and 2 seniors off the bench yet we did better overall and the same in conference. It's not good enough, but it is getting better. I just hope the nucleus of out team keeps getting better as they age and are good enough to dance next year. Making the tourney will help with the recruiting issue IMO.

Sonic98

Georgia Tech Fan
I have to say this season was extremely disappointment for me, but I have confidence in Pastner. The team overachieved in season 1, and season 2 was always projected to be rough, but this year was supposed to be a bounce back year, and it was not.

At some point I just could not watch some of the games anymore. The team easily should have won at least 5 more games. I'm not sure how much confidence I have for next year. I'm just not sure the guys currently on the roster give me any kind of hope. I'm just not sure how good they are. To be honest I've never thought this team had that much talent from year 1-3, a lot of good players but nothing great. Josh and Jose are the only players who stuck out to me. Many of the players this year, showed some flashes but I just was not impressed for the most part. Jose was the only one I thought played great for stretches of games. Banks, Devoe, Alston, and Banks were disappointing for me a lot of the time. Gaye was ok. But the season was almost over before the other guys started to show some promise, then once Jose kind of fell off the season was over. Then a lot of the games we lost were just head scratchers: missed three throws, missed dunks, missed lay-ups uncontested, guys just losing the ball, missed open 3's, bonehead decisions. I'm not sure you can do much to coach that up. At times I wondered if any of these guys are truly D1 or ACC starters.

Maybe some of the returning guys will make some big improvements, but they worry me. I would likely only be hopeful about a high-ranked recruiting class. Josh can do it. He can get tournament-level talent. I think he might have to change his recruiting strategy. He loves 3-4 year guys. He loves the idea of "get old and stay old," but I guess every 3 years or so you cannot be scared of those 1 year guys. Look at at his previous school. Memphis was filled with 3-4 year guys. They bring in Rose and they have a historic season. You need it in the ACC. You need great talent to get you to the top half. With the talent we have the players and coaches have to have a great night every night. Coach K or a Duke player can have an off night or a bad stretch of games because they have so much talent, but even they looked weakened when two good players went down. When I look at Kentucky they seem to underachieve from all the time, then all the sudden they start tearing it up. Cal doesn't all the sudden do something special. That talent just takes over when it has to

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
but this year was supposed to be a bounce back year, and it was not.

I don't think many people expected this to be a bounce back year. It was expected to be a step back year since the better players are all in their first or second year.

This is the reason you should expect the team to be better next year. The better players all have another year of maturity and experience. We didn't lose much from this year's team. One could argue that other than about 10 minutes of decent replacement level ball per game from Gueye we lost nothing.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I guess Bryce Drew wishes he had taken the Tech job. Before folks start complaining about Pastner, they need to be careful what they wish for. Given the constraints, I don't know who we could have hired at the time that would have done any better.

I agree with the sentiment that next year is the test, however. If things don't work out, someone better come with big bucks if we expect to do better.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Next year we need another big to spell banks and run high low post at times. A grad transfer will help but then 2020 has a big void at that position.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess Bryce Drew wishes he had taken the Tech job. Before folks start complaining about Pastner, they need to be careful what they wish for. Given the constraints, I don't know who we could have hired at the time that would have done any better.

I agree with the sentiment that next year is the test, however. If things don't work out, someone better come with big bucks if we expect to do better.

I think there were better options. I also think one side or the other didn't feel the same and we ended up with Pastner, who has coached better than expected, but recruited worse than expected.

Drew choosing allegedly more money at a private school.

GT saying no thanks to Kevin Keatts and, maybe, Jeff Capel (felt like Capel withdrew from consideration when he knew he wasn't the choice).

The someone you mention is all of us. We need to stop expecting to depend on some white knight big booster to pony up. We need to step up and put in whatever extra we can afford for extra donations. We need to keep buying season tickets throughout the down years.

College athletics is a passion project. A hobby. If you don't invest in your hobby, how much fun will you get out of it. It's time we all step forward with that investment or we need to accept we're DePaul or Wazzu or Rutgers in college hoops.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I suspect he was promised for $$$ in the "recruiting budget" at Vandy

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Damn - DTM you answered me seriously :confused:
Must not be drinking yet :p :beercheers:

Or are you saying we are not a key Adidas school despite the recent contract :(

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Damn - DTM you answered me seriously :confused:
Must not be drinking yet :p :beercheers:

Or are you saying we are not a key Adidas school despite the recent contract :(

I think Adidas probably wants to see our investment first.

Also, I've had to do some driving today, so no drinking.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know, I'm just congratulating the guy. Damn good coach. And we're stuck with what we're stuck with.

He is a really great coach whose kids will run through a brick wall for him.

I'm thrilled for a few friends that are Auburn grads.