2018-2019 GT Hoops Post Mortem Thread

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
They better hope that small print is big enough. For those that don't know, since Wake is a private school no one is getting their grubby little fingers on that contract.

Exactly. Nobody knows what's in that contract. I'm just relaying info that I think is credible enough to pass forward.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Does that buyout go down considerably year 5?
Contract is 100% of remaining contract thru year 5, 75% of remaining at year 6 and 60% at year 7.

His pay goes as follows:
2019-2020: $1.9M
2020-2021: $2
2021-2022: $2.2M
72022-2023: $2.4M

Many people may want him gone. Very, very few have the capacity to do jack about it. It would take about 800 people donating $10k each to pull it off this year. I’m not sure we’ve got 800 fans that care, much less 800 people willing to give up 1-2 mortgage payments to roll the dice again. Maybe there’s a 90 yo out there whose dying wish is to see us hang another banner in the rafters & has enough $$ for his kids/grandkids, etc plus $8M extra lying around. We can only hope.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
What is all this crap about the ACC?

We can’t even compete with a ....face ugag team now, and they are starting to recruit.

In sports anything can happen, but not when we are not able to coach up what we have in a SIGNIFICANT way, and not recruit any players.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Without a major defection or injury, I trust the program will turn corner. Never felt this way with CBG - just felt like he built Transfer U each year. My take doesn’t change much from my Dec 3, 2018 overview.
> Next Year - Bubble Team, but I do think we should expect dance. Next year, The attitude for coaches and team has to be “not making the big dance will be a disappointing season.” That’s the culture that needs to be created in Y4 and forward.
> Alvarado - his energy and gritty spirit is the poster image for this team. Needs to be allowed more freedom of pace.
> Devoe - hope he plans to stay with program. I see huge jump from him next year with the off season to work. He lost 2 months in the summer. The second half of season is more representative of his skills. His skill set is the aspirational level of the future talent.
> Banks - another who when total game minutes added up, he’s prob a Soph+ in game log time during next year. He will thrive in open court with his long strides and dunking ability. Love rotation and arc on his FT shots; I think he can hit 15 footer next year.
> Wright - the gigantic X factor for next year. The last 5 games or so, he seems to have shed his immaturity on the court. He seems to be more serious with each play. The asst coach’s work shows. If he puts on 15-20 lbs, and keeps his bounce - and most important, a mature, work ethic to his game, than other teams will have to deal and game plan for him.
> Moore - giant fan of him. I am most impressed when he has the ball that he shows multiple counter moves with the dribble. He was on such a tight leash, that special multi-move ability was restrained. With support and trust from CJP, we’ll see him quickly blossom. He’s so active, his energy raises the offensive and defensive sets.
> Sjouland - He shoots, he dribbles, he dunks. Just needs more time in system, more time on court, and more understanding that he’ll make mistakes. He doesn’t flinch on shooting from anywhere with his quick release. Coaches, please do not stifle that.
> Haywood - don’t want to bag on kids, but man he sulks a lot. Hope the kid stays healthy, and think he’s really a spot time guy for this team. Hope he dramatically expands his game and on court energy - would only help team.
Usher - all reviews are his energy will be tremendous for this team. Bring it on. We need this type of potentially mult-spot piece that brings multi-effort play. Great pickup to further solidify our competitive culture, and keep crowd watching and loving his passion.
> Phillips - a REAL head scratcher. Wish coaches would have given him more of a chance. Wonder if he’ll be on team next year. To his credit, I noticed him up off bench cheering teammates quite a bit.
>Cole - another puzzle. Really good at times, than MIA for multiple games. Seems like he needs more weight on his frame which could help with offensive boards - seems to have a nose for the ball, and ability to find hoop in right and tight spaces.
> Recruits - need a back up big (CJP, earn your stripe by getting Mitchell). A scorer - and not even a starter - is needed in worst way; the slashing variety wouldn’t be bad. Another ball handler wouldn’t be bad, but think Phillips could help as a third limited-time ball handler. Don’t understand the JC player they signed; not sure on plans for him.

I would like to see a handful of plays added that create specific actions for specific shots. We don’t seem to have “plays” to get a player a shot, wish Paster would add a handful of those.

I think we dance next year, and I’m totally sober while I hit Post. I’m seeing the Ball clearly.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
People I know inside that program say the small print on the contract limits the Manning liability significantly should he be let go if certain metrics aren't met. One thing is certain, Manning continues to be their coach if they have to dole out $18M.

Something our so called negotiators have never been smart enough to do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
> Devoe - hope he plans to stay with program. I see huge jump from him next year with the off season to work. He lost 2 months in the summer. The second half of season is more representative of his skills. His skill set is the aspirational level of the future talent.

What's going on there? That's not the first time I've seen someone mention that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What's going on there? That's not the first time I've seen someone mention that.

Because of our "can't have nice things" mentality, we assume that the highest potential kid on the hoops team is at risk of transferring because he can leave for a better program.

There's no real evidence of that possibility right now, but I understand why people have taken to assuming the worst at this point.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Contract is 100% of remaining contract thru year 5, 75% of remaining at year 6 and 60% at year 7.

His pay goes as follows:
2019-2020: $1.9M
2020-2021: $2
2021-2022: $2.2M
72022-2023: $2.4M

Many people may want him gone. Very, very few have the capacity to do jack about it. It would take about 800 people donating $10k each to pull it off this year. I’m not sure we’ve got 800 fans that care, much less 800 people willing to give up 1-2 mortgage payments to roll the dice again. Maybe there’s a 90 yo out there whose dying wish is to see us hang another banner in the rafters & has enough $$ for his kids/grandkids, etc plus $8M extra lying around. We can only hope.
I'm really hoping he turns it around. I just don't want us to get into another Hewitt type contract. Also, I don't want to se us end up like wake or bc.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It always seemed like a possibility to me because of what @dtm1997 said as well as the fact that DLab was his guy.

Devoe's social media implies hes really happy at GT though..

Following on this, Jose's pre ACCT presser made it sound like the two of them would spend a lot of time together this summer working on their game.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
It always seemed like a possibility to me because of what @dtm1997 said as well as the fact that DLab was his guy.

Devoe's social media implies hes really happy at GT though..

More “speculation” from this my vantage: the DLab mention, on court he doesn’t seem as connected to guys (maybe his persona; CJP has said trying to get him to not play “cool”, and during a Jose interview, he lit up about some other guys talking about them personally, but with Mike seemed to be standard, interview time to his responses about them working together), just feeling like there is something underlying. HOPE NOT, they could be best backcourt in league at some point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I worry more about Coach Reveno getting hired away than the chances of a player leaving. The work he's done with our big men...can not say enough good things about it. He's gotten 3 years of All ACC Defensive play from Lammers (2017, 2018) and Banks (2019). Those were guys who had modest production until they started working with Reveno. Then he turned guys like AD and Wright into solid contributors. Wright looks like a potential plus starter who could a VERY good player if he puts it all together...which is likely if he continues to work with Reveno.

I really see Banks contributing more on the offensive end next season. Wright has the potential to be a solid offensive threat and help our scoring from the big guys. Cole has flashes of ability, and I think he takes another step. IMO, Reveno is key in the "get old stay old" plan that Pastner loves to promote.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If we do make a change on the bench (assistant) I’d like to see us give Tony Shaver a look. He was dismissed from William & Mary and that program has been above average on offense for years.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll get into this thread hopefully tomorrow if i have more time.

Pastner isn't going anywhere and hasn't done anything to deserve firing yet. Coaches deserve a legit amount of time to build their program. Next year has to be at least an good NIT level team or I would then say that Pastner is not the right coach for the long term. Though I'll be surprised if he doesn't get 5 years (he would have to be sub .500 imo for GT to consider making a move). Year 4 has always been critical for GT coaches. His overall and ACC records are not out of line with any other GT basketball coaches over the last 40+ years.

Their should be some optimism with so much returning production. No ACC team had a higher percentage of its min played by FR and SO. With the exception of Duke no team that relied heavily on FR and SO had a winning record in the ACC. Also, don't take too much from one game - it is only 1 data point. You have to look at the whole season of data points. There are definite areas to be concerned about, but there are areas for optimism as well. Next year will likely answer the question of which ones end up being more predictive.

On coaches salaries and buyouts - remember those are available for coaches at public schools because anybody can make a FOIA request for the information. Private schools are excluded from FOIA rules. You can largely trust numbers from the public schools, but not the private ones.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
His overall and ACC records are not out of line with any other GT basketball coaches over the last 40+ years.
I agree with most of your post but that statement confuses me. Cremins took a 4-23 program to an NIT in his third season, an Elite Eight in Season 4. Hewitt took a 13-17 team to the NCAA's in season 1 and was in the National Final in Season 4. The only coach Pastner's record looks like is his predecessor. We need to be in the tourney next year plain and simple.