2017 Opponents Players Leaving For Draft

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
The joke about Sirk is that he will still be playing for Duke when Medicare kicks in to cover his injuries.
That's called a Taysom Hill. I think that guy was 26 before he exhausted his eligibility, if they aren't bringing him back for an 8th season next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's a good QB...but man, I don't know about being a first round draft pick. Everyone that's played in that offense puts up BIG numbers, and I wasn't exactly wow'd by any of his throws. I thought Marquis Williams was a much better QB for UNC. Trubisky will only have started for 1 year. The fact that it's a QB friendly offense and he only started a year would scare me off as a GM looking to draft in the first round.

I've seen some drafts with him ahead of DeShaun Watson. OK...who ever drafts Trubisky ahead of Watson needs to be fired. We're in this day and age where less film of a player is better than 3 years of film on someone because now you have too much film to find flaws. It's crazy. What makes Trubisky any better than Jerod Evans of VaTech who put up similar numbers starting just 1 year like Trubisky? Evans is bigger, stronger arm, and made just as many impressive throws...and he didn't have the WRs Trubisky had.

I'm not saying Trubisky isn't NFL caliber, but the 1st QB taken in the draft?! A first rounder? Yikes...glad I'm not the one making those decisions.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
He's a good QB...but man, I don't know about being a first round draft pick. Everyone that's played in that offense puts up BIG numbers, and I wasn't exactly wow'd by any of his throws. I thought Marquis Williams was a much better QB for UNC. Trubisky will only have started for 1 year. The fact that it's a QB friendly offense and he only started a year would scare me off as a GM looking to draft in the first round.

I've seen some drafts with him ahead of DeShaun Watson. OK...who ever drafts Trubisky ahead of Watson needs to be fired. We're in this day and age where less film of a player is better than 3 years of film on someone because now you have too much film to find flaws. It's crazy. What makes Trubisky any better than Jerod Evans of VaTech who put up similar numbers starting just 1 year like Trubisky? Evans is bigger, stronger arm, and made just as many impressive throws...and he didn't have the WRs Trubisky had.

I'm not saying Trubisky isn't NFL caliber, but the 1st QB taken in the draft?! A first rounder? Yikes...glad I'm not the one making those decisions.
MT skill set is better suited in the NFL compared to Watson. The skill set DW will display tonight (read option/QB runs) will not translate to the NFL. Mt is a better pocket passer. I think you will start seeing QB drafted high come from smaller schools or from teams not highly rank in college. In college, a running QB adds a different dimension that doesn't translate to the NFL.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I think it was generally agreed that he could have used an extra year of experience as a starter (e.g., decision making, etc), but I suspect that Hood's prior announcement to leave early may have influenced Trubisky's decision. I agree with you that Williams was a better college QB, and I'm certainly not sold on Trubisky at the next level.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MT skill set is better suited in the NFL compared to Watson. The skill set DW will display tonight (read option/QB runs) will not translate to the NFL. Mt is a better pocket passer. I think you will start seeing QB drafted high come from smaller schools or from teams not highly rank in college. In college, a running QB adds a different dimension that doesn't translate to the NFL.

I think that's where you're wrong. DeShaun Watson is pocket passer WITH the ability to run. There's a difference. You don't put up 400 yards passing on Alabama if you're strictly a read option QB. Remember, he did it without his best receiver Williams who was suspended last year. Watson runs because he's forced to with a bad OL, plus with the read option incorporated, it makes the defense put an extra defender on him. I would compare him to Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston in that sense. Those guys can run the ball, and they do on occassion, but they're also outstanding passers.

Watson was making NFL level throws as a true freshmen...while Trubisky was riding the pine at UNC behind Marquis Williams. The one thing I'm concerned with Watson is his propensity to throw INTs. Other than that, IMO, there's at least a 2 round gap between Trubisky and Watson. Whoever drafts Trubisky in the first round is going to regret IMO.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think that's where you're wrong. DeShaun Watson is pocket passer WITH the ability to run. There's a difference. You don't put up 400 yards passing on Alabama if you're strictly a read option QB. Remember, he did it without his best receiver Williams who was suspended last year. Watson runs because he's forced to with a bad OL, plus with the read option incorporated, it makes the defense put an extra defender on him. I would compare him to Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston in that sense. Those guys can run the ball, and they do on occassion, but they're also outstanding passers.

Watson was making NFL level throws as a true freshmen...while Trubisky was riding the pine at UNC behind Marquis Williams. The one thing I'm concerned with Watson is his propensity to throw INTs. Other than that, IMO, there's at least a 2 round gap between Trubisky and Watson. Whoever drafts Trubisky in the first round is going to regret IMO.
The threat of the run open things up in the passing game. When I say run, I'm not talking about dropping back to pass nothing open or getting pressured and running. I'm talking about designed runs. I think MT is better suited for 5 or 7 step drop read the d and make the throw. I think MT is like Russell and DW is like "Free Crab legs " it's just that I don't think much of "Free Crab legs". He will look good at times and then There are times I don't think he could hit water if he threw a ball off of the Sunshine Skyway bridge

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The threat of the run open things up in the passing game. When I say run, I'm not talking about dropping back to pass nothing open or getting pressured and running. I'm talking about designed runs. I think MT is better suited for 5 or 7 step drop read the d and make the throw. I think MT is like Russell and DW is like "Free Crab legs " it's just that I don't think much of "Free Crab legs". He will look good at times and then There are times I don't think he could hit water if he threw a ball off of the Sunshine Skyway bridge

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The beauty is, we'll get to see it play out over the next few years.

BTW...LOVE the Tampa/Clearwater area. One of my favorite places to take the boat and fish.