2017 National Championship Game: 'Bama vs Clemson

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone heard the Clemson staff (Dabo?) explain the decision to onside kick with :01 remaining? It worked out perfectly for them... the play was executed to perfection. However, it is my understanding... had Alabama recovered that kick while "down" on the ground, no time would have elapsed. That would have given them the ball at mid-field to run a hail-mary or other desperation play.

Believe me, I was not thinking any of this at the time... assuming the kickoff was going to be the last play for sure...no matter what. As just a dumb dude watching, I failed to consider any sort of 'fair catch' or downing of the kick where no time runs off clock. However, I also have never been paid a dime to coach... all the coaches at Clemson get paid A LOT to think about and know these things. In hindsight... I definitely think an onside kick or pooch is the right call. Definitely do not kick it away for a touchback or return. However, wouldn't the most prudent thing be bounce the onside kick high or pooch it....forcing the return team to touch the ball while not "down" allowing time to expire on the kickoff?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Has anyone heard the Clemson staff (Dabo?) explain the decision to onside kick with :01 remaining? It worked out perfectly for them... the play was executed to perfection. However, it is my understanding... had Alabama recovered that kick while "down" on the ground, no time would have elapsed. That would have given them the ball at mid-field to run a hail-mary or other desperation play.

Believe me, I was not thinking any of this at the time... assuming the kickoff was going to be the last play for sure...no matter what. As just a dumb dude watching, I failed to consider any sort of 'fair catch' or downing of the kick where no time runs off clock. However, I also have never been paid a dime to coach... all the coaches at Clemson get paid A LOT to think about and know these things. In hindsight... I definitely think an onside kick or pooch is the right call. Definitely do not kick it away for a touchback or return. However, wouldn't the most prudent thing be bounce the onside kick high or pooch it....forcing the return team to touch the ball while not "down" allowing time to expire on the kickoff?
It was dumb. Bama would’ve had the ball at Clemson’s 45 just needing a manageable toss into the endzone to win. Either kick it high so they fair catch or kick it out of bounds so they get the ball around around their own 35 for one last play or squib kick it to an up man around the 35 so they have to have some crazy lateral return.