2017 MLB Draft

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's always the scenario where he puts in the work, gets some professional instruction &/or something just clicks and he becomes a serviceable 3rd basemen too.

I don't think you can teach the instincts and reaction to become an elite 3rd baseman. Maybe outfield if he is fast enough and his bat is good enough.

Anyway, here's the final from the draft:
Trevor Craport UTIL 11th 338th Baltimore Orioles Unsigned
Oscar Serratos SS 14th 432nd Cleveland Indians Unsigned
Zac Ryan RHP 23rd 685th Los Angeles Angels Unsigned
Elliott Barzilli 3B 32nd 959th Miami Marlins Former Tech player
Jason Rooks OF 35th 1040th Atlanta Braves Unsigned
Ryan Peurifoy CF 38th 1138th Pittsburgh Pirates Unsigned
Colin Hall CF 39th 1166th Colorado Rockies Unsigned
Baron Radcliff RF 40th 1190th Atlanta Braves Unsigned

Good to see Peurifoy get drafted. Hall and Radcliff will come to GT is my 90% guess.

Serratos is the only one I'm worried about. Not only bat but maybe he is a good in-fielder and we really need that. Fortunately for us, Wade looks like he is back.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Craport--I wonder if maybe they'll look at him first as a C? That's where he played in HS and CDH had said at one point in the fall or preseason that Craport was the emergency C.

On Rooks--I have heard he actually never signed with GT due to academics possibly. I could be wrong on that though.

The draft just made me even more optimistic for next year. Wade coming back is HUGE along with Kel. I think we know what to expect with Kel--he's gonna hit .250-.275 with 10-15 hrs and a good bit of strikeouts; but I'll take that if he's our 5th-7th hitter. Tristin English is the one I'm most excited about returning! Even if he doesn't get to pitch, his defense at 1B and hitting will be such a lift for this team. Just need those pitchers to come through for us!

DylanR_CC

Georgia Tech Fan
Seeing what you said about Rooks and how RW never mentioned him gotta say you're right. Unfortunate, the kid has phenomenal power could've been a game changer at the plate.

(Some reason the quote never got inserted)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Great news!!! Thanks.

"After hearing from representatives from the Cleveland organization during Monday’s early rounds of the draft, the Indians selected Serratos in the 14th round Wednesday, though he said Tuesday that barring something unforeseen, he was likely to opt to play in college."

"... but all three seem very likely to report with the Jackets’ freshmen sometime this summer."

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Mitch Waters, former G.T. Center/Snapper, has come to terms with the Braves at almost 1.7 million-for his son Drew, second round. Their first rounder, Kyle Wright from Vandy signed earlier this week for 7 million(above slot value, rumors had him as the potential top choice-remaining until #5).