2017 MLB Draft

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The MLB draft will begin on Monday 12 June 2017. All of our commits are eligible as are our existing players who are Jrs (have completed three years) or are 21 within 45 days of the draft (http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3551) .

Using that criteria for eligible, I looked around for mock drafts and found this one (https://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2017/ ). Any other insight to expected draft potential (@Squints ??) would be appreciated.

Looks like none of our current players are "expected" to be drafted. That's a two edged sword of course. I wish we had 14 who were draft "expected" and were hosting in the NCAAs; but it is as it is. I'm not surprised Kel has dropped out of this list due to his dropping batting average (and SOs) as well as sh!tty injuries. The ones I'd really not like to lose (but hope for them they get a great offer they want to take) are Bailey, Datoc and Craport. I don't think Gibson or Dulaney would go even with a good offer since they have another two years of the draft.

I also included all our commits, some of whom are "expected" to be offered in ~8th round (Baron Radcliff and Oscar Serratos). Jason Rooks and Colin Hall expected to be offered later. Fortunately (or unfortunately because they aren't higher ranked), all of the potential draftees are NOT pitchers. This class is already very light in pitchers.

ewwea0oow26nrvt6g.jpg

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The MLB draft will begin on Monday 12 June 2017. All of our commits are eligible as are our existing players who are Jrs (have completed three years) or are 21 within 45 days of the draft (http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3551) .

Using that criteria for eligible, I looked around for mock drafts and found this one (https://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2017/ ). Any other insight to expected draft potential (@Squints ??) would be appreciated.

Looks like none of our current players are "expected" to be drafted. That's a two edged sword of course. I wish we had 14 who were draft "expected" and were hosting in the NCAAs; but it is as it is. I'm not surprised Kel has dropped out of this list due to his dropping batting average (and SOs) as well as sh!tty injuries. The ones I'd really not like to lose (but hope for them they get a great offer they want to take) are Bailey, Datoc and Craport. I don't think Gibson or Dulaney would go even with a good offer since they have another two years of the draft.

I also included all our commits, some of whom are "expected" to be offered in ~8th round (Baron Radcliff and Oscar Serratos). Jason Rooks and Colin Hall expected to be offered later. Fortunately (or unfortunately because they aren't higher ranked), all of the potential draftees are NOT pitchers. This class is already very light in pitchers.

ewwea0oow26nrvt6g.jpg
The one pitcher commit that I'm worried about is Brant Hurter. The one position player commit that I'm worried about is Baron Radcliffe. I believe that Serratos, Rooks, and Hall will be at Tech next year if they are drafted past the 6th round.

As to Bailey and Craport, I believe that they will be back next year. Craport's bat will get him some intrigue from scouts, but he just is not there defensively, yet. Bailey is a bit of a question because he is an outstanding player with a good eye, great bat, and good speed. He is also a good (not great) defensive player. The one thing going against him is his size though. I know that it shouldn't matter in baseball and it really doesn't, but you have to be an elite prospect at that size in order to get drafted high enough to leave college.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My guess is both Bailey and Craport will be drafted if they are willing to sign for $50k or less. I really can't see Kel getting drafted and signing this year.

As for the incoming freshmen, it really depends on what their $ number is. I'm not sure any of the incoming guys can demand a high amount...but you never know how the draft will play out since they've changed the way the draft works over the last few years. Guys getting drafted in the 7th-10th rounds are normally now graduating seniors or rising seniors who will take little to nohing for their signing bonus so the MLB team can use that extra money on later picks.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm really excited to see Baron Radcliff if he doesn't get drafted hope to see him in a Tech uniform I'm ready to see him play,does anybody know abt why he didn't play football for us my guess would be too much for him to play both my guess

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm really excited to see Baron Radcliff if he doesn't get drafted hope to see him in a Tech uniform I'm ready to see him play,does anybody know abt why he didn't play football for us my guess would be too much for him to play both my guess
I think that he just decided to focus on baseball is all.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Article related to GT players in the MLB draft here:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060917aaa.html

I'll just say that I hope Bailey doesn't leave. Craport and Johnson would be good to have back, but not as important to have back. We need to improve our defense and Bailey is a great fielder. Hitting will come, more than enough on the roster.
On the beesball site, it was mentioned that Craport didn't go to Cape Cod so that he could work out for MLB teams. If that's the case, he's likely gone unless he just doesn't get drafted at all.

Here's my extremely uneducated guesses:
Bailey 90% chance he leaves
Craport 80% chance he leaves
Kel 40% chance he leaves

I really hope Peurifoy and Zac get drafted---I think they should, but unfortunately their signing bonuses will be next to nothing.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Article related to GT players in the MLB draft here:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060917aaa.html

I'll just say that I hope Bailey doesn't leave. Craport and Johnson would be good to have back, but not as important to have back. We need to improve our defense and Bailey is a great fielder. Hitting will come, more than enough on the roster.
I like this Hall quote regarding next year. Hope it is factually accurate. :)

"....and I think likely, play on a much better baseball team next year than the one we had this year..."

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like this Hall quote regarding next year. Hope it is factually accurate. :)

"....and I think likely, play on a much better baseball team next year than the one we had this year..."
Taking out my personal bias being a GT fan, I think we should be a top 25 team next year IF (and that's a big if) the returning players improve like we hope they can. If you watch this weekend and last weekend, most all the team's pitchers are upperclassmen. This rising junior class was rated out of HS a top 5 nationally class---now is the time for them to show why.

Of course, my pessimism side says this is how I feel after every season to just be disappointed again. And while we hope the players improve...we just haven't seen a drastic improvement for our players from year to year that it seems other schools have.

But, I'm going to ignore my pessimistic side for now and believe we could be really good next season!!!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Of the top 75 picks, 11 were from the ACC. We played against 10 of those this season. All 10 of those came from just 4 teams (Lville, UVA, UNC, Wake). The SEC had 12 players selected tonight (if I counted correctly) and they came from 9 different teams.

I may have counted incorrectly as I was just scrolling down the MLB Draft twitter feed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No one drafted day 2 through Round 10, 315 picks. Approximate pick value is now <$131K.

Georgia Southern has two drafted. No one from UGAg.

Baron Radcliffe, who was ranked 186th on this MLB site, hasn't been picked with 315 picks done. Hope it's because he told them he wasn't interested:) https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/georgia

Bailey wasn't on this site that I could find!?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Craport selected in 11th round by Baltimore.

Serratos (signee) drafted in 14th by Indians
I feel like Craport is gone then, but Serratos will probably come to college. He can really only improve his draft stock by coming to Tech. If he doesn't, then he'll have a first class degree.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like Craport is gone then, but Serratos will probably come to college. He can really only improve his draft stock by coming to Tech. If he doesn't, then he'll have a first class degree.
Yeah, guessing Craport is gone. Serrateos will probably be determined by how much money they're able to offer him. 11th-40th are all "slotted" for $100K, but they can go over that amount if they sign the 1st-10th round picks for underslot value and have "extra slot" money available. I'd guess if they can't get at least to $175K for him, then we will see him in the fall at GT.

Still no Bailey is strange to me. Part of me really hopes he doesn't get drafted (for whatever reason) and he is back for his senior season. Glad to see Zac Ryan get drafted; hopefully Peurifoy will get picked, too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the update from http://www.beesball.com/draft2017.html
Trevor Craport UTIL 11th 338th Baltimore Orioles Unsigned
Oscar Serratos SS 14th 432nd Cleveland Indians Unsigned
Zac Ryan RHP 23rd 685th Los Angeles Angels Unsigned
Elliott Barzilli 3B 32nd 959th Miami Marlins Former Tech player
Jason Rooks OF 35th 1040th Atlanta Braves Unsigned

If Serratos and Rooks don't sign, I think we'll have done well.

Craport has a good bat but poor D. WOnder what position he'll be slated to play?

Ryan getting drafted is great, but he'll probably get screwed by LA in the actual amount of bonus since he has no choice other than accept or sit out.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Here's the update from http://www.beesball.com/draft2017.html
Trevor Craport UTIL 11th 338th Baltimore Orioles Unsigned
Oscar Serratos SS 14th 432nd Cleveland Indians Unsigned
Zac Ryan RHP 23rd 685th Los Angeles Angels Unsigned
Elliott Barzilli 3B 32nd 959th Miami Marlins Former Tech player
Jason Rooks OF 35th 1040th Atlanta Braves Unsigned

If Serratos and Rooks don't sign, I think we'll have done well.

Craport has a good bat but poor D. WOnder what position he'll be slated to play?

Ryan getting drafted is great, but he'll probably get screwed by LA in the actual amount of bonus since he has no choice other than accept or sit out.
I think that Craport should move to first base. It seemed to me that most of his errors were throwing errors so moving to first makes sense.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
There's always the scenario where he puts in the work, gets some professional instruction &/or something just clicks and he becomes a serviceable 3rd basemen too.
That could happen, but when you can't throw, you move to first base. See Ryan Zimmerman for an example.