2017 GT UDFAs

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
That's about what I thought. I disagree with the guy that said a tryout invitee has a higher uphill battle to make a team than an UFA, though. Once they're all in camp nobody cares how they got there, the better player stays and the lesser player leaves.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference is the tryout invitee has to make it to camp, whereas an UDFA is already guaranteed a spot in camp. Once they're in camp you're right it doesn't make a difference - but the uphill battle is prior to camp.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference is the tryout invitee has to make it to camp, whereas an UDFA is already guaranteed a spot in camp. Once they're in camp you're right it doesn't make a difference - but the uphill battle is prior to camp.
I was talking about rookie mini-camp. Sounds like try-out invitees have to pass this stage to move onto the next. I have no idea what the case is for UFA's.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
The 49ers cut K.D. Cannon (UDFA Baylor), despite paying a $45k bonus.

LINK
I remember him being a huge recruit out of high school. 5 star recruit, top 50 in the nation, Army All American, 5 star name, etc. I don't know what kind of career he had at Baylor, but it's a shame he likely won't get a shot at the NFL. $45k bonus isn't anything to scoff at though. Lets hope JT makes an impression.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I remember him being a huge recruit out of high school. 5 star recruit, top 50 in the nation, Army All American, 5 star name, etc. I don't know what kind of career he had at Baylor, but it's a shame he likely won't get a shot at the NFL. $45k bonus isn't anything to scoff at though. Lets hope JT makes an impression.
I like the part when he committed to Baylor and said he was looking forward to his 3 years there and still left after those 3 even though he was only a projected 7th round/udfa

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That's about what I thought. I disagree with the guy that said a tryout invitee has a higher uphill battle to make a team than an UFA, though. Once they're all in camp nobody cares how they got there, the better player stays and the lesser player leaves.

Drafted players have a big advantage over undrafted. GMs typically make the draft picks as well as contract decisions. If a drafted player bombs it shows the GM did a bad job in the draft.

If player X is a drafted OT, player Y is UDFA, all other things being equal, player Y will have to vastly outplay player X to beat him out for a spot.