2017 Game @UCF rescheduled

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The real reason the game was cancelled was because there was a rumor Lawrence Phillips was going to be playing B-Back for GT, and Scott Frost wanted nothing to do with another encounter with Mr. Phillips. So he cancelled the game and hid in a bathroom game day Saturday.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I don’t know about UCF, but their fans were in Georgia or above. It would have been impossible to get there, traffic was horrendous in South Georgia, and we were devastated. I couldn’t even have watched it on TV. No power and cleaning up. Don’t cast stones unless you have lived through a hurricane.
Lived through Andrew(although I was young) and Harvey in Houston last year. Football is a great escape from bad **** and you better believe we took a break from the recovery to watch our game vs Tennessee.

UCF Hurricane Rebuild 2017 - Never Forget!!!

rebuild.jpg

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yep, the Athletic Director on his radio interview seemed totally sincere - they thought it was going to be utter destruction (Irma had 180 mph winds earlier in Puerto Rico), so they sent any players home that wanted to go help their families. And he said they did so without any contingency of what to do if the storm ended up turning and not hitting Orlando. So when it did (they didn't even get hurricane force winds), they were SOL as several of their players were still gone. They came back that week as campus opened Monday (our game was scheduled for the following Saturday), but they didn't want to play us without having enough time to prepare.

Faculty and staff went back to work on the 15th. Classes didn't resume until the 18th, two days after the cancelled game.

Milwaukee

Banned
The real reason the game was cancelled was because there was a rumor Lawrence Phillips was going to be playing B-Back for GT, and Scott Frost wanted nothing to do with another encounter with Mr. Phillips. So he cancelled the game and hid in a bathroom game day Saturday.

Don't leave out the part that not only did he hide in the bathroom, he hid in the bathroom and did nothing while Phillips beat the crap out of the girl in the apartment. Almost killed her actually. Crazy story.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you weren't plugged into everything that went down last year, but UCFs campus was back open on Monday. All the UCF sports teams were practicing all week. The football team was even posting to social media showing practice, etc. Other UCF sports had their games still scheduled. Other local football teams like USF and the Bucs played. The Athletic Director did a radio interview and essentially said they overreacted on the football team and let some of the players go home without a contingency plan if the storm wasn't that bad after all. When it wasn't, and everything was back open, they were missing some key players early in the week and thought they wouldn't be able to prepare thoroughly enough for us. We also offered them before the storm hit to just move the game and come on up to Atlanta (and then we'd play at their site the next time), and they said no to that.

But you said a team that we are playing in 2020, and just rescheduled to play us in 2022, " doesn't want to play us."

Deleted member 2897

But you said a team that we are playing in 2020, and just rescheduled to play us in 2022, " doesn't want to play us."

Please don't leave out key context and information for what I have posted. I said the Athletic Director was genuine and I gave about a full explanation of what they said as best as I could. They didn't want to play us...without having the normal full preparation.

I've tried as best as I can to stay on target and explain the relevant facts for what went on and the situation they were in. I'm not the one posting irrelevant facts like faculty and staff weren't on campus and many of the fans were out of town.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Please don't leave out key context and information for what I have posted. I said the Athletic Director was genuine and I gave about a full explanation of what they said as best as I could. They didn't want to play us...without having the normal full preparation.

I've tried as best as I can to stay on target and explain the relevant facts for what went on and the situation they were in. I'm not the one posting irrelevant facts like faculty and staff weren't on campus and many of the fans were out of town.

You're the one who falsely claimed the campus was open the Monday before the game. I don't know what you mean by "open", but students weren't back until the Monday after the cancelled game. And if UCF is afraid to play us, why did they schedule us in the first place and why reschedule the cancelled game? It doesn't make sense.

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
Lived through Andrew(although I was young) and Harvey in Houston last year. Football is a great escape from bad **** and you better believe we took a break from the recovery to watch our game vs Tennessee.
You are 100% right...we got 2.5 feet of water in our house and were living upstairs during Harvey with no electricity for about 1.5 days. When they got us out by boat, we headed to stay with a friend. As soon as we walked in, he said "Do you need anything?" Yes, a beer and a TV to watch the game. He is an Arkansas fan, but he watch every minute of that game with me. It suck losing, but sometimes, the little things like watching Tech, become the most important thing in the world.

Deleted member 2897

You're the one who falsely claimed the campus was open the Monday before the game. I don't know what you mean by "open", but students weren't back until the Monday after the cancelled game. And if UCF is afraid to play us, why did they schedule us in the first place and why reschedule the cancelled game? It doesn't make sense.

LOL, I didn't falsely claim anything. I just posted reality:
And at the University of Central Florida, residence halls reopened Monday night, according to a post on UCF Police’s Twitter account, though classes and activities won’t continue until Thursday.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-ucf-reopens-20170911-story.html
Note this story is dated September 11th. Our game was scheduled for September 16th.

You're still putting all kinds of words in my mouth. I didn't say they were afraid to play us. I gave all the information above THAT UCF STATED.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
LOL, I didn't falsely claim anything. I just posted reality:
And at the University of Central Florida, residence halls reopened Monday night, according to a post on UCF Police’s Twitter account, though classes and activities won’t continue until Thursday.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-ucf-reopens-20170911-story.html
Note this story is dated September 11th. Our game was scheduled for September 16th.

You're still putting all kinds of words in my mouth. I didn't say they were afraid to play us. I gave all the information above THAT UCF STATED.

I didn't get into the article you linked because it conveniently requires a subscription. If you will google, "hurricane Irma ucf", the first article to pop up is an official UCF Today update dated 9/12 which reports that classes start 9/18. The headline is, "Hurricane Irma: UCF Students Return to Classes Sept. 18, Employees Return Sept. 15". Also, UCF didn't return to practice until Thursday the 14th, two days before the scheduled game. And you said they "didn't want to play us", like Auburn and Ole Miss. I think I know what that means.

Deleted member 2897

I didn't get into the article you linked because it conveniently requires a subscription. If you will google, "hurricane Irma ucf", the first article to pop up is an official UCF Today update dated 9/12 which reports that classes start 9/18. The headline is, "Hurricane Irma: UCF Students Return to Classes Sept. 18, Employees Return Sept. 15". Also, UCF didn't return to practice until Thursday the 14th, two days before the scheduled game. And you said they "didn't want to play us", like Auburn and Ole Miss. I think I know what that means.

What does any of this have to do with the price of rice in China? Why are you so hung up on this? If you don't like it, why don't you complain to UCF. I quoted the article so you didn't have to click through. I don't have a subscription, so I don't know why I can see it if you can't. What does class starting have to do with a football game? What do fans being out of town have to do with a football game? What do professors being on campus have to do with a football game? The Athletic Director's quote says it all. I've laid it all out. Almost all of the football players were back on campus by Wednesday before our game. The AD admits he goofed letting some of them go home without having a contingency if the storm didn't turn out bad. (They made the best decision they could at the time and I believe were very sincere in what they were doing and weren't trying to avoid playing us when this all started.) . They didn't want to have to play us without a normal and thorough preparation. Its as simple as that. The other UCF sports played that weekend. Other area college and pro teams played that weekend. Before the storm hit we offered to flip the series and they declined that too. If you don't like it, go argue with someone else...preferably from UCF since I have nothing to do with this.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What does any of this have to do with the price of rice in China? Why are you so hung up on this? If you don't like it, why don't you complain to UCF. I quoted the article so you didn't have to click through. I don't have a subscription, so I don't know why I can see it if you can't. What does class starting have to do with a football game? What do fans being out of town have to do with a football game? What do professors being on campus have to do with a football game? The Athletic Director's quote says it all. I've laid it all out. Almost all of the football players were back on campus by Wednesday before our game. The AD admits he goofed letting some of them go home without having a contingency if the storm didn't turn out bad. (They made the best decision they could at the time and I believe were very sincere in what they were doing and weren't trying to avoid playing us when this all started.) . They didn't want to have to play us without a normal and thorough preparation. Its as simple as that. The other UCF sports played that weekend. Other area college and pro teams played that weekend. If you don't like it, go argue with someone else...preferably from UCF since I have nothing to do with this.

Why am I hung up on it? Why is it that I am but you aren't? It doesn't make sense, like your claim that they "didn't want to play us", even though they just rescheduled us. They cancelled the game because they had no time to prepare. Seems legit to me. And if some others did play, Miami - FSU did not. This whole insinuation that they ducked us is sort of absurd in light of the fact they had a better team and would have been favored to win. We're probably lucky they did cancel. We'll never know.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Why am I hung up on it? Why is it that I am but you aren't? It doesn't make sense, like your claim that they "didn't want to play us", even though they just rescheduled us. They cancelled the game because they had no time to prepare. Seems legit to me. And if some others did play, Miami - FSU did not. This whole insinuation that they ducked us is sort of absurd in light of the fact they had a better team and would have been favored to win. We're probably lucky they did cancel. We'll never know.
After the first week of the season UCF was unranked and it's unlikely they would have been considered the better team. I doubt they waited to begin preparations for us until the week before given their week one opponent was FIU who they easily handled. Teams that play us throughout the season say they begin preparation in fall camp. The game could have and should have been played.

Deleted member 2897

There you go again putting words in my mouth.

I’m saying you’re hung up on it because I posted news articles and quotes from the media and the AD and you’re treating this like I’m launching some sort of attack on UCF. I feel like I’ve been pretty repetitive about the level of sincerity the AD had. The bottom line is they could have played, but only would have had a couple days to prepare due to how they dealt with the storm and decided they didn’t want to do that. Would it suck to play any team on 2-3 days preparation? Of course. Could they have just played us in Atlanta instead or played on short prep? Of course.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
"Auburn, Ole Miss, UCF - nobody wants to play us"

What does this have to do with a hurricane?

Those teams are , what are you saying, scared of us?

Maybe they could get some tips from puke or um.

Auburn will schedule, as an example, Washington and Clemson but they are scared of us?