2016 Defense

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Clemson Game:

Out of 11 total possessions the GT offense scored 1 time.

Out of 12 total possessions the Clemson offense scored 4 times. A field goal in the second half.

Pretty good defense against the best offensive team on our schedule in a game where our offense was the worst its been in the CPJ era.
Agree, offense was anemic and "more to blame" than the D in that game, imo. And I'm guessing it was one of the worst O performance against their D this year, if not the worst, on a points per possession view too.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Agree, offense was anemic and "more to blame" than the D in that game, imo. And I'm guessing it was one of the worst O performance against their D this year, if not the worst, on a points per possession view too.
I'm not taking up for our Defense and saying its great. I'm taking up for our Defense and saying its not as bad as certain people suggest. That's all. Its obvious we need improvement on both sides.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be more worried about this stat if our Red Zone defense, ranked 18th, weren't so good.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/704

As it is, we are bending, but we're not breaking nearly as often as people think.

useless stat to me.
too many variables.
This says Syracuse is better than us??!!??

and Bama isn't even in the top 50.... (maybe bc teams don't make it to the red zone)

Which D would you rather have?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
But don't you see that the PPD is misleading? We have less possessions than everyone else you are looking at/comparing. And typically we have less turnovers and go for it on 4th and short in situations other teams would not. The offense we run in nature scores more on possessions than a typical offense. However, this season and last have been horrible. I think the answer is not consolidated within the PPD statistic as you believe. I get what you are saying but I feel there is more to it than the PPD stat. By the nature of what our offense does we should be able to score on 66% of our offensive possession. However, we are not and the defense is catching the brunt of much frustration by the fan base. I agree the Defense is not stellar. But what I am saying is the statistics are misleading and looking at it on paper the defense is much worse.

Fwiw, I really don't think you get what I'm saying.

I don't agree with your logic about our O should score more efficiently, but regardless, it's beside the point. Our style of Offense should have NO EFFECT on our efficiency on Defense, the point of this thread.

Apart from D scores, both sides will have the ball basically the same number of drives. So, the limited number of drives work both ways. The defense allowed the points you listed in the OP in very few drives. Miami's offense only had the ball 7 times and scored 21 pts.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
useless stat to me.
to many variables.
This says Syracuse is better than us??!!??

and Bama isn't even in the top 50.... (maybe bc teams don't make it to the red zone)

Which D would you rather have?
Which in turn means we are not giving up big plays. We make the offense earn it.

Jmonty71

Banned

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I really don't think you get what I'm saying.

I don't agree with your logic about our O should score more efficiently, but regardless, it's beside the point. Our style of Offense should have NO EFFECT on our efficiency on Defense, the point of this thread.

Apart from D scores, both sides will have the ball basically the same number of drives. So, the limited number of drives work both ways. The defense allowed the points you listed in the OP in very few drives. Miami's offense only had the ball 7 times and scored 21 pts.
So, what is your overall point actually?

Jmonty71

Banned
I was there, Clemson let off the gas on the last drive with about 3 minutes to go. We held them to 24 points over 55 minutes of the game. Until then, they were actively trying to move the ball and score.
I was there too. I saw Clemson going mostly vanilla with the offense and saving things for Louisville. I thought they let off the gas mid 3rd qtr. They stopped being as aggressive. Kudos to Dabo for conserving things, for Louisville. Clemson could of went all out and blasted us. But, Dabo knew they Louisville was watching that game. He kept a few things under the curtains. Like any smart coach would do.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
But don't you see that the PPD is misleading? We have less possessions than everyone else you are looking at/comparing. And typically we have less turnovers and go for it on 4th and short in situations other teams would not. The offense we run in nature scores more on possessions than a typical offense. However, this season and last have been horrible. I think the answer is not consolidated within the PPD statistic as you believe. I get what you are saying but I feel there is more to it than the PPD stat. By the nature of what our offense does we should be able to score on 66% of our offensive possession. However, we are not and the defense is catching the brunt of much frustration by the fan base. I agree the Defense is not stellar. But what I am saying is the statistics are misleading and looking at it on paper the defense is much worse.

no, the PPD is not misleading. The PPD tells the truth of the story.

We have less turnovers. That's GOOD. We go for it on 4th and short and make it. That's GOOD.

The offense we run in nature scores on more possessions than a typical offense. THAT"S THE FREAKING DEFINITION OF A GOOD OFFENSE.

EVERY offense wants to score as many points on every possession as they can. Teams that run other offenses aren't like "well, we COULD score more often, but maybe lets not and see what happens".

EVERY defense wants to prevent as many points on every possession as they can. The good ones do. The bad ones do not.

It really IS that simple. GT does a bad job of stopping other teams from scoring points when the other team has the opportunity to do so. That makes them a bad defense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
useless stat to me.

Most stats are useless unless they further the narrative.

Alabama is top 10 in 3rd down stops. Different style of play. Syracuse is effective in the RZ, just like we are. Look who else is effective in the RZ: Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, VT & Clemson.

The problem with stats is people look for a single statistic to tell the ENTIRE story. That rarely happens. Looking at correlating stats like RZ Def and Down Conversion D give you a clearer picture. Our defense is mediocre. It's not great, but it's not horrible either.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was there too. I saw Clemson going mostly vanilla with the offense and saving things for Louisville. I thought they let off the gas mid 3rd qtr. They stopped being as aggressive. Kudos to Dabo for conserving things, for Louisville. Clemson could of went all out and blasted us. But, Dabo knew they Louisville was watching that game. He kept a few things under the curtains. Like any smart coach would do.

Yeah. They started handing the ball off and wen't away from the passes they had been throwing all game long, on the last drive in the 4th qtr. You might need to rewatch that game.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

thank you ..

we DID watch the same game.
They could have hung 60.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
no, the PPD is not misleading. The PPD tells the truth of the story.

We have less turnovers. That's GOOD. We go for it on 4th and short and make it. That's GOOD.

The offense we run in nature scores on more possessions than a typical offense. THAT"S THE FREAKING DEFINITION OF A GOOD OFFENSE.

EVERY offense wants to score as many points on every possession as they can. Teams that run other offenses aren't like "well, we COULD score more often, but maybe lets not and see what happens".

EVERY defense wants to prevent as many points on every possession as they can. The good ones do. The bad ones do not.

It really IS that simple. GT does a bad job of stopping other teams from scoring points when the other team has the opportunity to do so. That makes them a bad defense.
Wow. I'm thoroughly at a loss....

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Most stats are useless unless they further the narrative.

Alabama is top 10 in 3rd down stops. Different style of play. Syracuse is effective in the RZ, just like we are. Look who else is effective in the RZ: Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, VT & Clemson.

The problem with stats is people look for a single statistic to tell the ENTIRE story. That rarely happens. Looking at correlating stats like RZ Def and Down Conversion D give you a clearer picture. Our defense is mediocre. It's not great, but it's not horrible either.

Different style of play??? you mean having a good defense?

how many plays were scored on outside of RZ ?
We won't know. too many variables..

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I was there, Clemson let off the gas on the last drive with about 3 minutes to go. We held them to 24 points over 55 minutes of the game. Until then, they were actively trying to move the ball and score.
And they were trying to score on their last possession of the game too.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
And they were trying to score on their last possession of the game too.

when you dominate the first half and the other team can't score, you hold them to 7 points, and you don't have to score a lot to win,

yea you left off the gas.