2015 Warmest Year on Record

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#

Test it out yourself, hope there are parts of Savannah you aren't too partial to.

EDIT: Ooof. Check out St. Simons area as well.
Being very familiar with some of the areas in question in south Louisiana, I can tell you those areas have always been uninhabitable....those are the areas we call "swamp". You might be familiar with the idea....so a 2 foot rise (which imho is highly questionable given the IPCC track record thus far), isn't a panic...

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow

Sidewalking

Banned
No scientists are infallible and most never claim to be, Science if about adapting new data and methods as it comes along. Is there any data that could be presented that would convince you this was true?

Still waiting for you to site a single "correct" climate model from the past. LOL

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
No scientists are infallible and most never claim to be, Science if about adapting new data and methods as it comes along. Is there any data that could be presented that would convince you this was true?
My skepticism is precisely what the scientific method ia all about, and I agree with you that good science is a process of refining projections in the face of alternative data.

The biggest concern many of us have is that (1) data has been selectively used to base many of these projection models on....and (2) as long as we ALL characterize these models as what they are... GUESSES..then I am just fine and dandy with it. But when you have the global radicals like Greta and kids form California Elementary schools claiming that the world will end in 12 years if we don't act NOW....then the green left overplays their hand and loses most all of my support.

Being a responsible steward of the planet....excellent. Being forced to pay out billions to fund questionable actions based on GUESSES....eh, not so much

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
As an FYI, to get a building permit in south Louisiana these days, you must be building at a elevation that is 11 or 12 feet ABOVE "base flood elevation"...I would think a 2 -3 foot rise would not be very problematic given that.....
This is a reasonable position, if you are solely concerned about property losses resulting from a flood event (FEMA perspective). Will you allow me to describe a property loss scenario that is not based on a rainfall/flood event? Just as a thought....if the road to the house you described is at elevation 6 and the existing mean sea level is 1.5 with tides rising and falling 2 feet above/below the mean. Is the house still viable if MSL rises to 4 or 4.5 and tides are running up to 6.5/7? ? In that instance the house is high and dry, but the road to the house is inundated a couple of times a day and much longer during king tides. In that case, if the owner tries to sell, will anybody buy it? Will a bank provide a mortgage? Can the owner get it insured? Will FEMA reimburse the owner (not a rain based flood event) for an undamaged house that is not readily accessible? Maybe the local government raises the road...but the driveway and property itself remain at elevation 5 or 6. To me, this scenario is highly realistic and raises some very problematic issues when multiplied by the millions of properties located at low elevation all over the country. Then add in the businesses, the military bases, the landfills, etc. etc. etc.

I am not suggesting we need to be panicking this minute, but I do suggest that we can't just pretend sea level rise (from both land subsidence and water level rise) is not a threat to the long-term economy of our country.

Deleted member 2897

This is a reasonable position, if you are solely concerned about property losses resulting from a flood event (FEMA perspective). Will you allow me to describe a property loss scenario that is not based on a rainfall/flood event? Just as a thought....if the road to the house you described is at elevation 6 and the existing mean sea level is 1.5 with tides rising and falling 2 feet above/below the mean. Is the house still viable if MSL rises to 4 or 4.5 and tides are running up to 6.5/7? ? In that instance the house is high and dry, but the road to the house is inundated a couple of times a day and much longer during king tides. In that case, if the owner tries to sell, will anybody buy it? Will a bank provide a mortgage? Can the owner get it insured? Will FEMA reimburse the owner (not a rain based flood event) for an undamaged house that is not readily accessible? Maybe the local government raises the road...but the driveway and property itself remain at elevation 5 or 6. To me, this scenario is highly realistic and raises some very problematic issues when multiplied by the millions of properties located at low elevation all over the country. Then add in the businesses, the military bases, the landfills, etc. etc. etc.

I am not suggesting we need to be panicking this minute, but I do suggest that we can't just pretend sea level rise (from both land subsidence and water level rise) is not a threat to the long-term economy of our country.

Yep, and in 10 years we'll all be here laughing (while crying) that we saw this coming. Woa is me, all these (predominantly well-to-do) people asking for help because their ocean front property is now a lost cause...oh please Uncle Sam bail me out.

GTRules

Georgia Tech Fan
I wouldn't mind the raw data before the political "corrections" were made for a start.

Deleted member 2897

Our local weather gives money if they’re within 6 degrees in their next day forecast (+\- 3 degrees). They’ve been within 6 degrees on their next day forecast 18 of the 30 days this month LOL.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't mind the raw data before the political "corrections" were made for a start.
This is not raw data, but it references much of the work being conducted by GT professors related to sea level rise. Some pretty interesting research going on down there at the Georgia Tech Research Institute.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, and in 10 years we'll all be here laughing (while crying) that we saw this coming. Woa is me, all these (predominantly well-to-do) people asking for help because their ocean front property is now a lost cause...oh please Uncle Sam bail me out.
You and I both know that when Mar a Lago and the Trump Library (collection of comic books and playboy magazines) gets inundated due to sea level rise, the Trump family will sue Palm Beach County, the State of Florida, and the Federal Government for failing to take action and protect his property in a timely manner.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerp...-make-her-unhirable-in-academia/#6585eac63682

Short version: Former Tech prof Judith Curry should be "unhirable" due to her record on climate science. Not surprising given the number of shrill ideologues in climate science.

This stood out to me - Tech's apparent lack of support of her:

I asked Professor Curry about this situation. She explained, “In 2012 I was informed by my Dean that the administration wanted me to step down as Chair. While there were several reasons for this, one obvious reason was extreme displeasure by several activist climate scientists who had a very direct pipeline to the Dean.”

So Curry stepped down and started looking for administrative positions at other universities, “At the time, I was getting numerous inquiries from academic headhunters encouraging me to apply for major administration positions, ranging from Dean to Vice Chancellor for Research. I applied for several of these, and actually interviewed for two of them. I did not make it to the final short list.”

The headhunter gave Curry the following feedback from the universities: “They thought I was an outstanding candidate, looked excellent on paper, articulated a strong vision, and interviewed very well in person. The show stopper was my public profile in the climate debate, as evidenced by a simple Google search.”

Deleted member 2897

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerp...-make-her-unhirable-in-academia/#6585eac63682

Short version: Former Tech prof Judith Curry should be "unhirable" due to her record on climate science. Not surprising given the number of shrill ideologues in climate science.

This stood out to me - Tech's apparent lack of support of her:

I asked Professor Curry about this situation. She explained, “In 2012 I was informed by my Dean that the administration wanted me to step down as Chair. While there were several reasons for this, one obvious reason was extreme displeasure by several activist climate scientists who had a very direct pipeline to the Dean.”

So Curry stepped down and started looking for administrative positions at other universities, “At the time, I was getting numerous inquiries from academic headhunters encouraging me to apply for major administration positions, ranging from Dean to Vice Chancellor for Research. I applied for several of these, and actually interviewed for two of them. I did not make it to the final short list.”

The headhunter gave Curry the following feedback from the universities: “They thought I was an outstanding candidate, looked excellent on paper, articulated a strong vision, and interviewed very well in person. The show stopper was my public profile in the climate debate, as evidenced by a simple Google search.”

The bigoted anti-science intolerance by those who profess to be the beacons of tolerance and respect and the worshipers of science is ironic.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is probably the cheapest solution available.....

Of course, knowing most liberals, she probably means that people in India, China, the Philippines, Indonesia and Nigeria should stop reproducing since those are the countries where rampant population growth is out of control.

RACIST!

Population growth in the Philippines is definitely strong. Our 25 nieces and nephews over there can attest to that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So why won't the alarmists debate? Are they afraid their unscientific hysteria will bite them in the butt?
Because in a debate, the drones who have been convinced will actually hear arguments and data they have never heard before. Some small percentage will likely go somewhere to check out those arguments, and a few will become convinced that have been bamboozled. So, they have nothing to gain but everything to lose....