2015 DL Speculation

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Assuming Days is eligible the following is a DL I would like to see in 2015:

Usual 4 man line
WDE Freeman Simmons (Merriweather RSs)
NT Days Henderson or Glanton (one RSs)
DT Gotsis Kallon
SDE Gamble Chungong or Stargel (run play situation) Whitehead (pass play situation)

Third and long (obvious pass situation) with 3 man line
E Freeman or Simmons
NT Gotsis
E Whitehead

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to see Simmons add weight and get more playing time so redshirt.
Add Scott Morgan as well, since he'll most likely play DLine.
Hopefully we'll get another signee ie Arnee ;)

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
That actually looks somewhat promising. Getting solid production from 2 DTs will do wonders, and the pass rush should be decent. Good defensive play will help if we struggle more than expected on offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I really don't like the idea of Jabari playing DT. Maybe his frame is big enough to hold the weight but I feel like he would be better staying around 260-270 and playing DE

For 2015 the good news is the coaches can make their best choice among Gamble, Gotsis, or JHD for SDE. Depth is still "iffy" at DT with Kallon and 3 freshmen to chose from. We have experienced backups at SDE with Stargel and Chungong. Still it's an improvement over choices we had this past year.

Time for this group to push one another! They need to realize that they are the one weakness of our team right now. I would be tickled if these guys bulked up and became one of the strengths of our team. Only way we ever make it to the playoff is with a disruptive defense line.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Back 7 will be ferocious next year. DL will be better and deeper. We may have a log jam at DE with depth and several good options. The DL has to practice against a great OL every day. You think Mason didn't make Gotsis better? Coaches and players are more confident in and experienced with each other. We have 8 starters back, count'em, 8. Roof did a good job of bringing along the second team and getting them quality minutes. Probably 20 returning defenders have time on the field when the game was in doubt and not just mop up. This defense shut down some good teams late in the year and produced lots of turnovers. White, Golden, Gotsis, Davis, and maybe Freeman are preseason All-ACC. Milton can be by year end. Johnson's offense is still going to control the clock and put the pressure on opposing offenses. Who do you see on the schedule that is able to line up and run it down our throat? Offenses have changed. Everybody wants to run the shotgun and short passes. Hell, most teams can't take a snap under center even on the one yard line. That minimizes the need for great DT and maximizes the need for good DB's and LB's. (Pitt may be the exception, and they scare me some). I'm betting we pick up where we left off. We start the year with a solid defense, and by late in the year(as always with the caveat of an average injury year), we no longer remember who Tenuta was.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I'm really looking forward to see what another year in the weight room does for Freeman, Merriweather and Simmons. Those 3 guys could make a huge difference in our defense.

Biggest jumps are from year 1 to 2!

I am excited to see them as well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... The DL has to practice against a great OL every day. You think Mason didn't make Gotsis better? ......

Great post. The starting DL will practice against the starting OL through spring. I thought once we got within a couple weeks of the season it was all the scout teams against the #1 O or #1 D.

@redmule , how do you see DT shaking out?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if what the trainer said is true, I got one of my questions answered and not what I wanted to hear. The other has to do with Whitehead. Has he been playing on the scout team? If so, does anyone know what the coaches are saying about him?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
The DL in my mind played lights out during the bowl game. MSU got a ton of yardage but we weren't losing the battle in the trenches. We got pressure on the QB. The DL was working hard during passing downs. During the beginning of the season I saw a lot of them get stuck in mud and had a hard time working moves to get off blocks. Later in the season you could see the improvement. Would love to see our guys get bigger in the middle. Gotsis either has a body type that holds it weight well or he lost a good chunk during the season. I would rather have him on the outside and gamble inside but that's just a personal preference. Our improved OL play will lead to better play from the DL. Have to unless you wanna get whipped during practice. Couldn't be prouder of the group given the depth they played determined and restless all year.