2015 DL Speculation

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately, we will be thin once again, especially at DT. Hopefully we can stay relatively healthy on the DL again next season. We were very fortunate in 2014. Like Pelton said, it's a miracle we made it through the season with 4 scholarship DT's. It's gonna take some time to get our numbers back up again at DT after last offseason.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The DL in my mind played lights out during the bowl game. MSU got a ton of yardage but we weren't losing the battle in the trenches. We got pressure on the QB. The DL was working hard during passing downs. During the beginning of the season I saw a lot of them get stuck in mud and had a hard time working moves to get off blocks. Later in the season you could see the improvement. Would love to see our guys get bigger in the middle. Gotsis either has a body type that holds it weight well or he lost a good chunk during the season. I would rather have him on the outside and gamble inside but that's just a personal preference. Our improved OL play will lead to better play from the DL. Have to unless you wanna get whipped during practice. Couldn't be prouder of the group given the depth they played determined and restless all year.

I would like to see Gotsis at DE as well but there are two reasons why I think he stays inside. Gamble has played pretty well but he tends more to roam around, gets pushed around (plays high), and pursues better than he holds his ground. His natural talent and tendencies seem better outside. Gotsis holds his ground and plays virtually every down. Our better depth is at DE which would be wasted if Gotsis soaks up the PT at DE. For the overall team sake, considering depth especially, IMO Gotsis stays inside.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see Gotsis at DE as well but there are two reasons why I think he stays inside. Gamble has played pretty well but he tends more to roam around, gets pushed around (plays high), and pursues better than he holds his ground. His natural talent and tendencies seem better outside. Gotsis holds his ground and plays virtually every down. Our better depth is at DE which would be wasted if Gotsis soaks up the PT at DE. For the overall team sake, considering depth especially, IMO Gotsis stays inside.
Depth doesn't wouldn't deter me from getting the best players on the field. Gamble can learn to fire off and hold his ground. Another year in the strength program will be great for him. Would be interested given our DT depth if the 3-3-5 stays and becomes anything more. Could sways have a hybrid LB that could drop to play DE pushing Gotsis inside when we want to have a 4 man front. I'm not even saying we drop this guy in coverage a ton. With the 3-3-5 he gets the opportunity to come from all different spots on the field. We did this basically with JA45. Everyone knew he was rushing when it came to a passing down.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We may gain JH but lose S. Green. I think Green's contribution this year has been undervalued. He may not be in the record books for sacks or TFL but he ate up a ton of double teams and held the point of attack better than the rest of the DL IMO. I think it's entirely too early to say we will be improved next year on D.
Also, at LB we lose Nealy. At this point I'm not convinced we have any elite players in our front 7. I think Freeman has a shot at being elite but he's still a young guy and elite may still be two years down the road.
We were not able to give consistent pressure against any QB all year and likely need to be able to do so next year if we want to have an equivalent season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We may gain JH but lose S. Green. I think Green's contribution this year has been undervalued. He may not be in the record books for sacks or TFL but he ate up a ton of double teams and held the point of attack better than the rest of the DL IMO. I think it's entirely too early to say we will be improved next year on D.
Also, at LB we lose Nealy. At this point I'm not convinced we have any elite players in our front 7. I think Freeman has a shot at being elite but he's still a young guy and elite may still be two years down the road.
We were not able to give consistent pressure against any QB all year and likely need to be able to do so next year if we want to have an equivalent season.
We pressured that Clemson backup qb pretty good, but yeah, you're point still stands.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Potential DT's
Henderson, Glanton, Kallon, Gotsis, Gamble, Morgan, Hunt
2 Seniors
2 Juniors
3 Freshman with a possible 4th with Sellers as of now.
That's solid depth.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Potential DT's
2 Seniors
2 Juniors
That's solid depth.
Counting on an academic casualty AND 3 true frosh in your depth doesn't sound too solid to me. I'd feel a lot better if we knew JHD was coming back.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Potential DT's
2 Seniors
2 Juniors
That's solid depth.
Just young and unproven. Agree about the depth. Henderson will be interesting to watch given he will have spring under his belt and the benefit of working out with teammates.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think JHD will be back. Even if he isn't it's better depth than what we had all last year, it's better to have young than none.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
But will the starters be better? That is what will dictate how good we really are. Improved depth certainly helps but you have to have playmakers....not warm bodies.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Depth doesn't wouldn't deter me from getting the best players on the field. Gamble can learn to fire off and hold his ground. Another year in the strength program will be great for him. Would be interested given our DT depth if the 3-3-5 stays and becomes anything more. Could sways have a hybrid LB that could drop to play DE pushing Gotsis inside when we want to have a 4 man front. I'm not even saying we drop this guy in coverage a ton. With the 3-3-5 he gets the opportunity to come from all different spots on the field. We did this basically with JA45. Everyone knew he was rushing when it came to a passing down.

Roof has used the 3 man line in some (long yardage) situations and he will probably continue to do so. However, the Johnson/Roof D strategy is to stop the run first and that fits into the CPJ strategy of controlling the time of possession and winning the turnover battle. I foresee Roof continuing to use the 4 man line as our base D. Our recruiting is aimed at Roof's scheme and without a dominating NT it is very hard to stop the run with a 3 man line (and we have no dominating NT on the roster or in our recruiting target). I do see a situation (very long yardage or a big lead whereby there is obvious passing on every down) where we could effectively use a 3 man line.... but our base D would remain a 4-3 or 4-2 nickel. In those 3 man fronts I would prefer a pass rush using Freeman/Whitehead/Simmons at DEs and Gotsis inside.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why so many of you are putting JHD in the lineup? Passing is one thing, raising your GPA significantly, especially as an upperclassman, is incredibly hard to do at GT.

So true, DCS. It is definitely not a done deal, and the rumor (based on not wanting to use his last name anymore) that he seems to have not come to a place where his "parents" are in his inside circle of influence concerns me. One of the first rules of correcting a screw up is to agree with those who love you that you did screw up. Without that, very often it does not get corrected. And, to your point, even if he really is giving it his all, as a GT upperclassman, it is very difficult.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Roof has used the 3 man line in some (long yardage) situations and he will probably continue to do so. However, the Johnson/Roof D strategy is to stop the run first and that fits into the CPJ strategy of controlling the time of possession and winning the turnover battle. I foresee Roof continuing to use the 4 man line as our base D. Our recruiting is aimed at Roof's scheme and without a dominating NT it is very hard to stop the run with a 3 man line (and we have no dominating NT on the roster or in our recruiting target). I do see a situation (very long yardage or a big lead whereby there is obvious passing d Os but you can be on every down) where we could effectively use a 3 man line.... but our base D would remain a 4-3 or 4-2 nickel. In those 3 man fronts I would prefer a pass rush using Freeman/Whitehead/Simmons at DEs and Gotsis inside.
Not necessarily. I won't get into all the Xs and Os but you can have the same personnel on the field and show something other than a 4-2-5 or base defense. It's the reason our offense is hard to have different personnel groupings. We have the same people on the field all the time. We don't bring TEs in or a FB. It's typically 1 BB, 2 ABs, and 2 WRs. We run a ton of formations out of there which can cause alignment issues with the opposing defense. Also, he didn't use it just for long downs. Look at the play where Golden caused the fumble against MSU. 2nd and 4, we were lined up in the 3-3-5 and brought a blitz. Same formation we could walk Marcordes onto the line and have a 4 man front. It's essential what the 3-4 does. But instead of the junk we ran with Groh you can have you DL play gap a certain gap. Similar to how the 4 man front is done. I wouldn't lineup any of the DL headup and not be a mountain of a man.