2014 Schedule

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't think most coaches approach the issue of improving W-L with simply a "We just have to do better attitude." I think that they typically look at strengths and weaknesses and focus on improving especially in area of weaknesses. Stats help identify areas of weakness.

I get the feeling that some people who don't like the coach just like to make things up to make him look bad and get upset or feel uncomfortable when the actual statistics don't support their emotional reaction.
Attitude plus Execution will always make stats better..But 7-6 etc and bowl loss and loss to Ga hurts no matter what the stats say at end of the day.You like stats and they paint a good pic of our offense and maybe next year our defense gets better stats and if they do we.....will win at least 8 !

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Attitude plus Execution will always make stats better..But 7-6 etc and bowl loss and loss to Ga hurts no matter what the stats say at end of the day.You like stats and they paint a good pic of our offense and maybe next year our defense gets better stats and if they do we.....will win at least 8 !
Your exactly right Mr. Mack. It doesnt make any difference what kind of stats you rack up if you arent winning games. Im a stathead, and I love the big stats but we still needd more W's every way you look at it.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Alabama A&M came on the schedule because we backed out of the Alabama game. I'm not proud of it, but that's what happened. It isn't the ACC's fault.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/05/04/why-tech-and-alabama-postponed/

That "attractive alternative" ended up being Alabama A&M.

And I'll say it again.....8-4 will not keep Paul Johnson his job if GT doesn't win the Coastal division next year. It's CD champs or vamoose. I've had a lot of people who should know tell me that this is the case.
I am hearing the same thing....that several folks have sort of banded together to get things moving.I think though with the current attitude of the Hill they would take 8-4 and bowl game and be satisfied....Of course the sage continues and like I said all I have heard is scuttlebutt and in Court its called Hearsay and not permissible..We should know more soon.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Your exactly right Mr. Mack. It doesnt make any difference what kind of stats you rack up if you arent winning games. Im a stathead, and I love the big stats but we still needd more W's every way you look at it.
Well should have been clearer to my friends but when you see a coach talking to the press he says well we were weak in the red zone or we didnt get a pass rush and most fans understand this general attitude of what went wrong.If you look at film after the game you are looking more at execution than anything else since good execution equals good stats.Now they are important no doubt but again they cannot tell whole story of the football team..........Good execution sure helps out both sides of the ball no doubt about it and we need some of that next year.Course I aint a engineer and a math major etc and didnt go to Tech so I am looking at win loss and let others use their skills on facts and figures.Bottom line is winning.

Animal02

Banned
Alabama A&M came on the schedule because we backed out of the Alabama game. I'm not proud of it, but that's what happened. It isn't the ACC's fault.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/05/04/why-tech-and-alabama-postponed/

That "attractive alternative" ended up being Alabama A&M.

And I'll say it again.....8-4 will not keep Paul Johnson his job if GT doesn't win the Coastal division next year. It's CD champs or vamoose. I've had a lot of people who should know tell me that this is the case.

No, Alabama A&M came on the schedule because the ACC switched from the planned 9 game schedule and stuck with the 8 game schedule at the last minute. Every ACC team had started clearing OCC games to make room for the extra conference game. By the time the ACC pulled the switch, there was were few/no alternatives to scheduling a second FCS team.

The Bama series getting canned was a separate issue. "Radakovich said the alternatives being considered are home-and-home series that wouldn’t involve payouts for either team, other than normal expenses paid for travel."

The A&M game was a one off caused by the ACC. Same reason Clemp played South Carolina State and The Citadel this year. Look at last year's schedule for ACC teams.....almost all have 2 obscure games

Last edited:
I am hearing the same thing....that several folks have sort of banded together to get things moving.I think though with the current attitude of the Hill they would take 8-4 and bowl game and be satisfied....Of course the sage continues and like I said all I have heard is scuttlebutt and in Court its called Hearsay and not permissible..We should know more soon.
All well and fine, but what does Drew Hearn say about 8-4? He don't like it one little bit. 8-4 is raising the bar ridiculously high, eh? I jest.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I heard was that the Alabama/GT series was postponed by GT because Alabama was pushing for a home game in Tuscaloosa and an away game at the Georgia Dome (where the revenue would be shared). They were refusing to play at GF@HBST.

This may not be true, but it's what I heard when it happened.

Animal02

Banned
The A&M game last year was a result of canceling games against BYU...NOT BAMA

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/10/8-game-acc-football-schedule-the-fallout/

Due to the now defunct 9-game schedule, Georgia Tech canceled two games of a four-game series vs. BYU. The final two games of the series were scheduled for Atlanta in 2014 (Oct. 11) and Provo in 2017 (Oct. 14).
The cancellation leaves the Yellow Jackets with one non-conference opening in 2014 and two in 2017. Tech also needs one game in 2013 and 2015 and two in 2016.
Georgia Tech is the 3rd ACC school that plays an in-state SEC rival on an annual basis (Georgia).

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
The A&M game last year was a result of canceling games against BYU...NOT BAMA

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/10/8-game-acc-football-schedule-the-fallout/
Due to the now defunct 9-game schedule, Georgia Tech canceled two games of a four-game series vs. BYU. The final two games of the series were scheduled for Atlanta in 2014 (Oct. 11) and Provo in 2017 (Oct. 14).
The cancellation leaves the Yellow Jackets with one non-conference opening in 2014 and two in 2017. Tech also needs one game in 2013 and 2015 and two in 2016.
Georgia Tech is the 3rd ACC school that plays an in-state SEC rival on an annual basis (Georgia).

Uhh...2014 is this year, we played BYU last year

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Mack fine. We're talking past each other. I agree that people can use misleading stats. I also agree that the ultimate issue is W-L. Your posts reflect either a failure to understand my point or a desire to intentionally misrepresent my post by introducing misused stats rather than showing where I misused stats.

This past off-season, the University of Florida replaced their offensive coordinator but not their defensive coordinator. Now, you could say, "Well, their record was 4-8 so they should fire everybody. If you don't fire the head coach, you should fire both coordinators. You just need to get better."

Or, you could say, "Their offense was ranked 99th while their defense was 17th. The offense was probably the problem."

Yes, coaches know what the problem is based on their greater knowledge, but statistical rankings help fans know.

I was responding to those people who posted issues related to our offense needing to improve. I was using the statistical rankings to say that those posts would be like UF fans complaining about their defense.

Animal02

Banned
Additionally, if this was for me, I didn't say anything about Alabama A&M. I gave the reason I heard about why the Alabama series was indefinitely postponed.

No, it wasn't.......someone else posted that the A&M game was the replacement for BAMA.......that series getting canceled was a completely different issue than the ACC screw up.

You can see the sequencing of events the last couple of years in the "headlines" section here...http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets.php

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No, it wasn't.......someone else posted that the A&M game was the replacement for BAMA.......that series getting canceled was a completely different issue than the ACC screw up.
I agree that Alabama A&M was added because of the 9-to-8 ACC schedule. I didn't dispute this.

I'm not sure I'm following your post. If your response wasn't to me, then we're clear.