2014 Schedule

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone care to take a very early stab at next year's record? Obviously we don't know many dates, where byes will lie, or attrition on our team or others. I believe the full schedule is usually announced in Feb.

Home

Wofford
Ga Southern
UVA
Duke
Miami
Clemson

Away

Tulane
NC State
UNC
Pitt
VT
UGA

Not knowing very much at all about our opponents I predict 8-4. We need to win 8 and I think it's very realistic. Clemson loses Boyd, Beasley, a few WRs, and more. Miami loses Morris. I believe VT loses Thomas and starters on the DL? Despite our losses on the OL and DL (where we weren't particularly consistent this year anyway) it will likely be unacceptable to whiff on all three of those games.

Unfortunately UGA will be the toughest opponent; otherwise we have a very realistic chance to capitalize on the remainder of the schedule. What do you all think?

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If you putting money on it 8-4 is probably a good estimate. I'd like to think 9-3 is our record this time next year. A Duke like 10-2 would be great.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I think our schedule got a LOT easier. I think we will be about the same on defence and slightly better on offence. Either my glasses are pretty dam gold or we might do pretty well next year. Thinking 8-4 at worst, 9-3 most probable, 10-2 good season.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like we will be 8-4. Winning one game we shouldn't, and loosing one we shouldn't. I'm interested to see if the defense can take the next step and be a top 30 defense

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
If you putting money on it 8-4 is probably a good estimate. I'd like to think 9-3 is our record this time next year. A Duke like 10-2 would be great.
I'd prefer a Florida State 12-0 ;) Realistically though, I think 8-4 to 10-2 is manageable for next year with losses to ugag, miami, clemson, and/or va tech. Pick two to four of them

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We should be 8-4 just swapping Tulane for BYU. I will be very disappointed if our D doesn't improve significantly. I know we're losing Jerry and Jemea, but we'll be in year two of a team concept D.

Last year, people were concerned about losing Cross and TJ on DL, and we did fine. Kitchens and Green can both play. Other guys will step up.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I see another 7 and 5 year. Could be 6 and 6 because Georgia Southern is not a given.
We better beat Ga Southern, already been hearing ga fans saying we're gonna be the third best team in the state after next year. Jaybo went down there and was a star. Mediocre backup up here

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We should be 8-4 just swapping Tulane for BYU. I will be very disappointed if our D doesn't improve significantly. I know we're losing Jerry and Jemea, but we'll be in year two of a team concept D.

Last year, people were concerned about losing Cross and TJ on DL, and we did fine. Kitchens and Green can both play. Other guys will step up.
I expect Hunt-Days and Milton to step up. Golden will be a player, I'm hoping for Kallon to see the light in the offseason, looking at his high school tape he almost could've been argued a 5 star. Need a pass rush though, I hope Gamble is as good as advertised.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are too many variables at this point to make even an educated guess. Last year at this time our OL was much better and we were expecting an even better performance this year. We also were teased by Vad's UNC performance and expected him to be a lot better, too. The only real concerns were a) losing Orwin and b) not having a wr passing threat. Both of those issues became the least of our worries with the emergence of Godhigh and Smelter.

Point being, who knows? Things could and probably will look a lot different a year from now. A lot different.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't get why it's "much" easier. Yes, we trade BYU out for Ga Southern, but all the other teams are the same. Yes, some of those teams lose some key guys, but they are factory schools that reload their talent. Those teams still 'out talent' us as a team like they did this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Don't get why it's "much" easier. Yes, we trade BYU out for Ga Southern, but all the other teams are the same. Yes, some of those teams lose some key guys, but they are factory schools that reload their talent. Those teams still 'out talent' us as a team like they did this year.

Actually, I think seniority would give Tulane the BYU slot while GSU is the slot that's been MidTenn etc

Hunter513

Georgia Tech Fan
I will be surprised if we lose 3 of those first five and very surprised if we lose to southern
I kind of though the same thing this year about VT, Miami, and BYU. Hopefully we can get a win against VT and Maybe UNC next year. GSU should be a win but with GT football, you never know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I kind of though the same thing this year about VT, Miami, and BYU. Hopefully we can get a win against VT and Maybe UNC next year. GSU should be a win but with GT football, you never know.

Yeah, I was definitely surprised by our offensive showing against those 3 and against CU. Although, I think our D really let us down in those latter two games as well. I really think that CPJ and Cook thought that all Vad needed to be able to start making reads in the option game was some game experience. However, unless I'm just nuts, our attempts to make that happen just didn't work. Consequently, we stopped giving him a lot of zone read option looks from the diamond or shotgun and stopped running a lot of triple option. We had to run it some to try and keep the defenses honest, but for the most part CPJ went back to the play-calling against U[sic]Ga that he used against UNC last year--very little option reads but a lot of fast hitting plays. I'm confident that by next year either Vad or JT will be able to run our system at a higher level.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I was definitely surprised by our offensive showing against those 3 and against CU. Although, I think our D really let us down in those latter two games as well. I really think that CPJ and Cook thought that all Vad needed to be able to start making reads in the option game was some game experience. However, unless I'm just nuts, our attempts to make that happen just didn't work. Consequently, we stopped giving him a lot of zone read option looks from the diamond or shotgun and stopped running a lot of triple option. We had to run it some to try and keep the defenses honest, but for the most part CPJ went back to the play-calling against U[sic]Ga that he used against UNC last year--very little option reads but a lot of fast hitting plays. I'm confident that by next year either Vad or JT will be able to run our system at a higher level.
So true. I think CPJ threw in the towel on the option for the UGA game. We focused on it, worked at it for 4 straight weeks, and it still wasn't improving. There will most likely be a decision point for CPJ in the off season. Will he stick with heavy option regimen and find another QB to run it, or run a lot of the same type stuff we saw vs UGAg with Vad. I guess it depends on how fast JT grows running the option.