1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

2014 Freshman Class

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by OldJacketFan, Aug 21, 2014.

1. OldJacketFan

OldJacketFan Helluva Engineer

2. GTMom

GTMom Helluva Engineer

What is your issue with this?

3. OldJacketFan

OldJacketFan Helluva Engineer

Mom, you misinterpret my post :) For YEARS one of the knock on Tech in recruiting was the alleged lack of females is the student body. I was merely commenting on the reality versus the perception.

4. GTMom

GTMom Helluva Engineer

Thanks for explaining. I agree with your perspective and I'm sure my Tech son appreciates the increase in numbers ;)

5. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

THWG likes this.
  6. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

The ratio has been changing for quite a while. My daughter got into GT (while I suspect that some males might not have with identical records) a few years back and we were pleasantly surprised to see that the whole student body is much more balanced these days.

7. herb

herb Helluva Engineer

The female/male ratio is definitely much better now. The break down of the composition of the composition of the classes has changed dramatically too. 32 percent out of state and another 12 percent out of country.

8. Northeast Stinger

Northeast Stinger Helluva Engineer

Must be an interesting campus to be a part of. I have always enjoyed diversity in institutions.

9. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Off topic, but why do people celebrate “diversity”, and what do they mean by it?

Diversity of simple things is great in my own opinion....cuisines, for example.

But diversity of moral values is bad for any society

awbuzz likes this.
  10. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

How many are hot? :sneaky:

*dodges flying bricks*

11. Northeast Stinger

I have no idea what you are talking about.

12. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

There seem to be certain political key-words, used by both sides.

Criticize "democracy" and you will be called out. Call out "diversity" as a bad thing and you'll be called racist.

You should get the idea now...

13. Northeast Stinger

Amazing that 318 high schools, 50 states, 3 territories, 55 different countries, and over 40% female, student profile becomes a code to someone of something fearful. I thought it was pretty cool.

14. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Hey, like I said, there are types of diversity that are good and welcoming....but surely you also understand that any criticism of "diversity" is as much of a problem today as commenting that there are racists on the left amongst the black community.

I am very down with everyone getting an excellent education, whatever their race, religion or gender. In fact, I am a huge supporter of that. The things you described in your post seem to me to be something to celebrate, but there are some (many?) on the Progressive left who would not tolerate ANY comment that diversity (of moral values) is a bad thing for this society.

15. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Mother heffer this class has a 1500 SAT average, can’t we just celebrate that?

16. Northeast Stinger

This thread is about the 2014 freshman class at Tech. I honestly am still baffled by how they hell that became the launching point for gross generalizations about supposed political agendas.

17. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I did thread jack and apologize for that.

I actually was not TRYING to be combative, but was trying to genuinely ask a question. But, you are correct, it has no business in this thread....

Northeast Stinger likes this.