2014 Freshman Class

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The ratio has been changing for quite a while. My daughter got into GT (while I suspect that some males might not have with identical records) a few years back and we were pleasantly surprised to see that the whole student body is much more balanced these days.

herb

Helluva Engineer
The female/male ratio is definitely much better now. The break down of the composition of the composition of the classes has changed dramatically too. 32 percent out of state and another 12 percent out of country.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Must be an interesting campus to be a part of. I have always enjoyed diversity in institutions.
Off topic, but why do people celebrate “diversity”, and what do they mean by it?

Diversity of simple things is great in my own opinion....cuisines, for example.

But diversity of moral values is bad for any society

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Off topic, but why do people celebrate “diversity”, and what do they mean by it?

Diversity of simple things is great in my own opinion....cuisines, for example.

But diversity of moral values is bad for any society
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There seem to be certain political key-words, used by both sides.

Criticize "democracy" and you will be called out. Call out "diversity" as a bad thing and you'll be called racist.

You should get the idea now...
Amazing that 318 high schools, 50 states, 3 territories, 55 different countries, and over 40% female, student profile becomes a code to someone of something fearful. I thought it was pretty cool.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Amazing that 318 high schools, 50 states, 3 territories, 55 different countries, and over 40% female, student profile becomes a code to someone of something fearful. I thought it was pretty cool.
Hey, like I said, there are types of diversity that are good and welcoming....but surely you also understand that any criticism of "diversity" is as much of a problem today as commenting that there are racists on the left amongst the black community.

I am very down with everyone getting an excellent education, whatever their race, religion or gender. In fact, I am a huge supporter of that. The things you described in your post seem to me to be something to celebrate, but there are some (many?) on the Progressive left who would not tolerate ANY comment that diversity (of moral values) is a bad thing for this society.

Deleted member 2897

Mother heffer this class has a 1500 SAT average, can’t we just celebrate that?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hey, like I said, there are types of diversity that are good and welcoming....but surely you also understand that any criticism of "diversity" is as much of a problem today as commenting that there are racists on the left amongst the black community.

I am very down with everyone getting an excellent education, whatever their race, religion or gender. In fact, I am a huge supporter of that. The things you described in your post seem to me to be something to celebrate, but there are some (many?) on the Progressive left who would not tolerate ANY comment that diversity (of moral values) is a bad thing for this society.
This thread is about the 2014 freshman class at Tech. I honestly am still baffled by how they hell that became the launching point for gross generalizations about supposed political agendas.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This thread is about the 2014 freshman class at Tech. I honestly am still baffled by how they hell that became the launching point for gross generalizations about supposed political agendas.
Yeah, I did thread jack and apologize for that.

I actually was not TRYING to be combative, but was trying to genuinely ask a question. But, you are correct, it has no business in this thread....