2014-2015 Coaching Carousel

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Honest question, does Andersen to Oregon State help our recruiting? I know we've been competing with Wisconsin for recruits and if they can't properly replace Andersen, I see that removing a major competitor.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Smoke swirling that Bud Foster's headed to Texas A&M as DC. I don't buy it as it just doesn't make much sense unless he's finally tired of middle-of-nowhere Virginia. Meh, I guess we'll see.

http://justwaittilnextseason.blogspot.com/2014/12/virginia-techs-bud-foster-to-be-texas.html?m=1

http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Could-Bud-Foster-be-the-next-DC-33715741

ETA: I'm gonna bite the bullet and head to Techsideline for their take on this. I'm just hoping my eyes don't crack and bleed from the hideous format. Wish me luck ... I'll need it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Smoke swirling that Bud Foster's headed to Texas A&M as DC. I don't buy it as it just doesn't make much sense unless he's finally tired of middle-of-nowhere Virginia. Meh, I guess we'll see.

http://justwaittilnextseason.blogspot.com/2014/12/virginia-techs-bud-foster-to-be-texas.html?m=1

http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Could-Bud-Foster-be-the-next-DC-33715741

Well, his $800K annuity matures on December14th, so we'll know for sure soon.

He's "only" getting paid $570K salary, so he could be approaching closer to $1 Million if TX A&M is serious (and top coordinators in the SEC are in that salary stratosphere)....hard to turn that money down to go to a bigger program with more resources at an easier school to recruit to. Plus, A&M is loaded with defensive talent in the last 2 recruiting classes. If you consider yourself the best, you want to test your mettle against the best.

Plus, he knows CPJ's teams are getting more talented. He doesn't want GT to wreck his reputation...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yea that came out of nowhere. Maybe after getting shut out he figured he needs to go play PAC12 defenses to make himself look better.

I read Barry Alvarez (AD) is tough to coach under plus they don't pay assistants well. Could explain Bielema's move and now Anderson's.

Also, I'm back from "Tech"sideline. They don't know anything on Foster's potential move. Not surprisingly. I did survive so I have that going for me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pat Forde on Wisconsin's coaching problems.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/on-wis...lem-may-be-institutional-025124097-ncaaf.html
Oh, and there also was that bizarre, come-from-ahead loss in the season opener against LSU. In that game, Wisconsin stopped running Heisman Trophy finalist Melvin Gordon in the second half and started a quarterback who simply couldn’t play at that level. Andersen was grilled in the aftermath, and his non-answers about why Gordon didn’t carry the ball only left people more confused and unhappy.

The following Monday, Andersen said Gordon was bothered by a hip flexor injury during the game – something he did not divulge that night. And he didn’t sound very happy divulging it two days later, either.

“I don't quite frankly think it's anybody's business to pass that on to somebody after the game,” Andersen said. “But apparently it is because that's what I was told to do.”

There’s only one person who could tell the head coach how to handle a player injury – Alvarez.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I read Barry Alvarez (AD) is tough to coach under plus they don't pay assistants well. Could explain Bielema's move and now Anderson's.

Also, I'm back from "Tech"sideline. They don't know anything on Foster's potential move. Not surprisingly. I did survive so I have that going for me.
Bielema was there for like 7 years though. I’m glad you survived Tech Sideline and didn’t come back. Hope you took good notes on your PalmPilot.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bielema was there for like 7 years though. I’m glad you survived Tech Sideline and didn’t come back. Hope you took good notes on your PalmPilot.

Oh ho ho, check that Forde article. He addressed Bielema too.
Bielema always bristled at the notion that he was merely maintaining Alvarez’s program. I heard him more than once in the last of his seven years at Wisconsin go to great lengths to point out the length of his tenure and the amount of success he’d had. You got the feeling the athletic director still liked to lay claim to the Badgers’ football glory – and you got that feeling from the things Alvarez said when Bielema left.

"Bret used my gameplan to win,” he said. “The coach I hire will have to understand who we are and how we go about our business."

Lastly, why you gotta bang on my PalmPilot? In rural Virginia they'd make me mayor if I whipped that out. "Oooo, what's that?" :ROFLMAO:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Baylor OC Philip Montgomery is finally taking the leap to HC. Tulsa has hired him...great hire. Have always been a Montgomery fan. Was rumored that Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee was a top candidate there.

Here's another one for the football X's and O's geeks: Montana is set to hire Bob Stitt. Offensive guru at Colorado School of Mines. That's a situation to look out for in the future. Lots of top coaches on this level have borrowed a lot of his concepts.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Read UNC has fired their DC Koennig (sp?). Do we have to worry about someone like McCollum leaving? Isn't he from NC?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean their offense has usually been pretty good (whether that's coaching or their limitless talent is yet to be seen). I think if he left the biggest damage would be to their recruiting, especially at QB. There's no doubt the guy knows how to recruit QB's and any loss to their passing game would help us a ton considering how well we've done against the run.