2013 Scoring Off, Def; Home, Away

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I found these stats interesting (vs FBS in Regulation):
.................. ....... TDs Home ....... TDs Away ........... FGs Home ......... FGs Away
Def. Allow: ......... 9 ........................ 26 ......................... 4 ........................ 5
Off. Scores: ........ 20 ....................... 20 ......................... 3 ........................ 5

We allowed almost 3 times as many TDs away as at home. Now, to be clear, our away schedule was more difficult:
Clemson averaging 40.2 vs. U[sic]Ga 36.7
Miami 33.8, Duke 32.8, BYU 30.2 vs UNC 32.7, Pitt 26.3, Syracuse 22.7
UVA 19.8 vs VPI 22.5.

However, the offenses we played Away were not 2.5 - 3 times better. These seem to me to be some crazy stats for Away vs Home defense. What say y'all?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is going to take some thought, but very interesting. Home field is usually +3 (away is -3). So being at home is 6 points (a TD) difference. I'll have to work it out ........ later.

What I don't understand is why the O was the same home and away but the D was so different..........

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Doesn't this clearly show the inherent weakness of our Offensive scheme and inability to keep posession of the ball? And thus control the clock and limit scoring opportunities for the other team?.......
Figured someone would make this argument...wanted to save them the keystrokes. Every problem we have is at root a offensive scheme problem right???

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is going to take some thought, but very interesting. Home field is usually +3 (away is -3). So being at home is 6 points (a TD) difference.
Uh, that's not a mathematical equation. If you're at home its a 3 point advantage, if you're away, it's a 3 point disadvantage. And that's just what the Vegas boys use to make lines, it's not literal by any means. Every game starts 0 - 0.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay, I found these stats interesting (vs FBS in Regulation):
.................. ....... TDs Home ....... TDs Away ........... FGs Home ......... FGs Away
Def. Allow: ......... 9 ........................ 26 ......................... 4 ........................ 5
Off. Scores: ........ 20 ....................... 20 ......................... 3 ........................ 5

We allowed almost 3 times as many TDs away as at home. Now, to be clear, our away schedule was more difficult:
Clemson averaging 40.2 vs. U[sic]Ga 36.7
Miami 33.8, Duke 32.8, BYU 30.2 vs UNC 32.7, Pitt 26.3, Syracuse 22.7
UVA 19.8 vs VPI 22.5.

However, the offenses we played Away were not 2.5 - 3 times better. These seem to me to be some crazy stats for Away vs Home defense. What say y'all?

Excellent question./ observation.

My first thought was turnover margin and we did turn the ball over 4 more times on the road than at home (on a side note we only won the turnover battle two times all year against Syracuse and against Miami). However 4 additional turnovers wouldnt account for that scoring margin defensively.

The biggest culprit was our pass defense which was bad at home and completely mortifying on the road.
in five home games Techs defense allowed 93 out of 156 passes to be completed for a completion percentage of 59.6 and 1104 yards. We allowed 7.08 yards per pass attempt and 11.87 yards per pass completion at home. As I said bad at home...

on the road, Tech was god awful at pass defense. We allowed 117 completions in 168 pass attempts. A 69.6 percent pass completion rate!!!! That is dink and dunk level completion percents but we werent getting dinked. We were getting gashed. We allowed 1449 yards those 168 attempts!! We allowed 8.63 yards per pass attempt on the road, a full 1.5 yards more than at home. We also allowed 12.38 yards per completion which, in case you forgot, we were allowing at a rate of 69.6 percent.

It is my greatest hope that Louis Young was that bad that he disrupted out defense, but unless we play tighter coverages this year and get a good pass rush, we are in for another long season. Better ball security will also help but we really need not just Dj and Lynn to cover but also Milton, golden, johnson, the twins, D. Smith, ,,..etc Good teams will use their third and 4th recievers if they havevthe advantage. We have to have our third and fourth cover corners ready to play as well,

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those stats are indicative of a fluke season, if you ask me, and probably not indicative of a specific problem. Here are my thoughts. We won a home game 56-0 against a team that was respectable against most opponents. While I thought we were the better team and certainly deserved to win, we could have played them 99 more times in a row and not produced another margin like that. That alone is going to skew stats. Then throw in the Clemson game where I am not sure they ever missed on a deep throw even if well defended. That was kind of a fluke as well. They were probably better than us and certainly deserved to win, but those kind of passing results are out of the ordinary.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a thought. Maybe one of you guys may have the info but it appears that in the games in which GT lost, the defense was on the field for an extensive number of plays. If that is the case then fatigue plays a major part in your defense production. I am going to watch the Clemson game again and see what I come up with

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I tried to save you the key strokes Leonard lol...... I kid, I kid. I do think that probably played a minor role but its the D's job to get off the field. Turnovers kill ya in this area. Not sure what role turnovers played. Have to check those stats.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Those stats are indicative of a fluke season, if you ask me, and probably not indicative of a specific problem. Here are my thoughts. We won a home game 56-0 against a team that was respectable against most opponents. While I thought we were the better team and certainly deserved to win, we could have played them 99 more times in a row and not produced another margin like that. That alone is going to skew stats. Then throw in the Clemson game where I am not sure they ever missed on a deep throw even if well defended. That was kind of a fluke as well. They were probably better than us and certainly deserved to win, but those kind of passing results are out of the ordinary.

That's why I cited averages rather than one off games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok, I saw you took out the FCS and overtime points. That leaves 5 games at home and 5 away.

In the 5 real games at home, here's the team and their total scoring O ranking for the year:
UNC #43 (monsoon game)
VT #100
Syracuse #99
Pitt #79
Georgia #21
Average - 68th

Away games
Duke #40 (we played them first week of the new QB who lit things up in later weeks)
Miami #33 (they still had Duke against us)
BYU #55
UVa #110
Clemson #8
Average 49th

So we played weaker offensive teams at home. Coupled with the 4 point home field advantage (J Howell) or more (6 net) from Vegas spreads, one would expect us to score more against weaker teams at home. That is borne out by individual games:
Clemson #8 scored 55 away
UGA #21 scored 41 home
Maimi #33 scored 45 away
Duke #40 scored 14 (see QB comment) away
UNC #43 scored 20 home (Monsoon)
BYU #55 scored 38 away

No one else scored more than UVa (25 points away) ranked #110 on O. So it was the mix of strong teams and those teams being away.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I saw you took out the FCS and overtime points. That leaves 5 games at home and 5 away.

In the 5 real games at home, here's the team and their total scoring O ranking for the year:
UNC #43 (monsoon game)
VT #100
Syracuse #99
Pitt #79
Georgia #21
Average - 68th

Away games
Duke #40 (we played them first week of the new QB who lit things up in later weeks)
Miami #33 (they still had Duke against us)
BYU #55
UVa #110
Clemson #8
Average 49th

So we played weaker offensive teams at home. Coupled with the 4 point home field advantage (J Howell) or more (6 net) from Vegas spreads, one would expect us to score more against weaker teams at home. That is borne out by individual games:
Clemson #8 scored 55 away
UGA #21 scored 41 home
Maimi #33 scored 45 away
Duke #40 scored 14 (see QB comment) away
UNC #43 scored 20 home (Monsoon)
BYU #55 scored 38 away

No one else scored more than UVa (25 points away) ranked #110 on O. So it was the mix of strong teams and those teams being away.

U(sic)Ga only scored 27 in regulation. Look at the actual scores not rankings. They're not 2.5 times better. It's just weird how differently we performed.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I tried to save you the key strokes Leonard lol...... I kid, I kid. I do think that probably played a minor role but its the D's job to get off the field. Turnovers kill ya in this area. Not sure what role turnovers played. Have to check those stats.
Lol. You must be a offensive guy. So you're saying the offenses job is not to score or sustain drives? Expecially Ga Tech's offense. Lack of depth kind of killed the team as well. Have your compared the number of defensive plays run against a powerhouse compared to let's say Alabama A&M, Elon, Presbyterian,....just a thought.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Lol. You must be a offensive guy. So you're saying the offenses job is not to score or sustain drives? Expecially Ga Tech's offense. Lack of depth kind of killed the team as well. Have your compared the number of defensive plays run against a powerhouse compared to let's say Alabama A&M, Elon, Presbyterian,....just a thought.

It might have been a factor, but it's hard to say that it was all on the O. Our D faced more than 70 plays in regulation during only the UVA game where we turned the ball over 5 times and the bowl game. Against Miami we faced 53 plays and 67 against CU.

Our turnovers would have impacted field position, but the problem was not just with the number of TDs.
Ave Plays: OHm, 73.2; OAw 73. DHm 58.2; DAw 68.8
Yds/play: OHm 5.57; OAw 6.07; DHm 5.04; DAw 6.49.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like to see good ball played in all 3 phases, not particularly partial to offense or defense. It's the O's job to score and the D's job to prevent scores. The O makes the D's job difficult to impossible if they turn the ball over or fail to flip the field. But if the D logs a lot of plays, or spends the majority of the game out on the field, they are failing to get stops and get back to the sidelines. That's on the D.