2009 Play... I have not seen since...

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
Jet was fast enough that we could let him scramble. It was better to have the lb take himself put of the play by honing in on the bb.

Might see it more with mj

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
we ran it a few times recently...it was stuffed...perhaps you mean we haven't seen it successful since :)

but just off the top of my head I do recall seeing it the last few years. No clue what games...

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Slow motion watch every game... have not seen this play in years. QB runs, yes... no draw hand off to BB who looks like he is going to block. I am rewatching all the CPJ season right now. This is the first time run for this play.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Honestly it didn't make a whole lot of since when we had JT...QB draw was more effective. Before that we had Vad at QB with Sims and Laskey...also maybe not the best two guys for that play.

I think it would have been a great play for Marcus Marshall...but that doesn't really matter anymore. Dedrick isn't quite as fast as Dwyer, but if he gets a head of steam he'll plow some folks. Might work with him...maybe we'll see it...who knows

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
In the vt game we saw the draw several times with MJ. He's good for 5 though yards but that isn't good when we need 8. Some slipperiness/RB skill is needed on that play. After all, we choose the diesel back then when it's not like JN wasn't pure money getting tough yards. MJ is more a Nesbitt style runner, and although Derrick is a power guy he's gonna cut and find open lanes when he can. Plus the draw when not blown up in the backfield lets the feet get churning.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly it didn't make a whole lot of since when we had JT...QB draw was more effective. Before that we had Vad at QB with Sims and Laskey...also maybe not the best two guys for that play.

I think it would have been a great play for Marcus Marshall...but that doesn't really matter anymore. Dedrick isn't quite as fast as Dwyer, but if he gets a head of steam he'll plow some folks. Might work with him...maybe we'll see it...who knows

Maybe Kirvonte Benson.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the hand off would work better as everyone is after the QB and the QB also has to change directions 180 degrees. This hand off is quicker to get up field and takes advantage of the initial run/pass read confusion.

Benson would be a good choice.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
M Marshall definitely "could"get to full speed , but last year he seemed to be optimizing his path inside of picking one and going. Sure would have been fun to see him get better especially on this play.
Oh well we have to settle for Mills picking a slightly better angle.

IMO and others think Mills will have numerous high lite film long runs off broken yard of scrimmage tackles. "Folks they just cant stop him!!"

Then fake draw and the fly pass to AB on the read by the qb (to make ATL happy and get CPJ in hunt for Dodd Coach of year award. MORE KOOL-AID!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw it 3 times in the Duke 2009 game. All three time made very good yards. This is not only about who should be running the ball, QB versus BB. The BB has better vision and is facing the right direction. The running gaps and lanes can open and change so fast that the BB has better advantage.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Slow motion watch every game... have not seen this play in years. QB runs, yes... no draw hand off to BB who looks like he is going to block. I am rewatching all the CPJ season right now. This is the first time run for this play.

I wonder why? We saw that old school draw play a bunch with Dwyer but not since.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I do like the Bback draw better than the Qb draw because the bback has the forward momentum. The qb is goinng the opposite direction. I thought Marshall would have been perfect cause his backside vision and cutting ability was so great. Not particularly Mills strong suit. Maybe benson will have that same ability.