2009 Play... I have not seen since...

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan

really cool play from navy I noticed. I'm not sure if it's a 3/0, but it seems like a really neat read for when the middle is getting blitzed.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
We ran the same with JJ Green twice against UGA -- and memorably with Orwin Smith -- but blocked it as a counter trey. The fullback as wrap blocker is cool, and could be killer with Dedrick.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Counter, not a draw.
Nope, a counter is a run play not designed to look like a pass play. A counter is when the RB will take a step the opposite way of where he's actually going to get the ball, so if it's a run play to the right his first step will be to the left. A drawl play is where the QB will drop back to fake the pass and then hand it off to the RB. You also have a QB draw where he keeps the ball.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope, a counter is a run play not designed to look like a pass play. A counter is when the RB will take a step the opposite way of where he's actually going to get the ball, so if it's a run play to the right his first step will be to the left. A drawl play is where the QB will drop back to fake the pass and then hand it off to the RB. You also have a QB draw where he keeps the ball.

Incorrect. Counter is for misdirection based upon either a RPO. Nesbitt rolling to the left and Dwyer moves left, takes the ball and sprints up and right through the hole. It's a counter. This particular play looks similar to a weak side counter but instead of the QB rolling right he went left. First step of the RB though again is left THEN right.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Incorrect. Counter is for misdirection based upon either a RPO. Nesbitt rolling to the left and Dwyer moves left, takes the ball and sprints up and right through the hole. It's a counter. This particular play looks similar to a weak side counter but instead of the QB rolling right he went left. First step of the RB though again is left THEN right.
It was a designed fake pass handed to the RB, im sorry but that is a draw. If anything you could possibly say a counter draw lol. Please read this and tell me that's not what happened.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_play

And then read this and tell me which play it was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter_run

He went left and then hit a hole to the right because it was the most open hole. If the hole was bigger to the left he would have gone to the left. A counter play is not designed to look like a pass, the draw play is.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
It was a designed fake pass handed to the RB, im sorry but that is a draw. If anything you could possibly say a counter draw lol. Please read this and tell me that's not what happened.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_play

And then read this and tell me which play it was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter_run

He went left and then hit a hole to the right because it was the most open hole. If the hole was bigger to the left he would have gone to the left. A counter play is not designed to look like a pass, the draw play is.

It is not what happened and still is incorrect. Sorry hoss but its a counter made to look like an RPO. Here is an example except the QB rolls to the right.
Screen+shot+2011-04-06+at+12.26.06+PM.png

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is a draw. The critical piece of evidence is what the OL does. They pretend, for a second, to pass block before trying to clear out the middle. I was a little confused by Nesbitt's lack of a fake drop back until I remembered our qb's unorthodox reverse drop back pivot.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

really cool play from navy I noticed. I'm not sure if it's a 3/0, but it seems like a really neat read for when the middle is getting blitzed.

Same play Orwin Smith took 80+ yards against someone, I think Kansas, several years back. We've been running it for a while.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Same play Orwin Smith took 80+ yards against someone, I think Kansas, several years back. We've been running it for a while.
Not exactly, but almost. The "Orwin play" has two OL's pulling to playside, the Navy play doesn't. Also, in the Navy play, the Bback is the lead blocker. The Bback does not lead the play in the GT version.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
Not exactly, but almost. The "Orwin play" has two OL's pulling to playside, the Navy play doesn't. Also, in the Navy play, the Bback is the lead blocker. The Bback does not lead the play in the GT version.

The Orwin play looks like a called counter, whereas the navy play looked more like an actual read.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It is not what happened and still is incorrect. Sorry hoss but its a counter made to look like an RPO. Here is an example except the QB rolls to the right.
Screen+shot+2011-04-06+at+12.26.06+PM.png
The example you just gave was a run play all the way, never designed to look like a pass. The play in the video was a run play designed to look like a pass, so your picture is WAY off and nothing like the play ran in the video. A draw is designed to have the LB's drop back in coverage to create space for the RB. The QB dropped
back as if he was passing and then handed the ball off. He went to a hole on the right because the OLB was in the hole to the left. It's the same play we ran with JT when he dropped back to fake a pass and then ran, which is a QB draw, only difference is the ball was handed off in the play from the poster above. Once again the difference between a draw and a counter is, a counter is a designed run play, a draw is a designed run play as well but disguised as a pass play, you tell me which it was? Did you even read the links? They sum it up pretty well. Here is JT running a QB draw, he's able to pick the best hole to run through just like the RB in the play from the original post. It's around the 37 second mark.

@Longestday maybe you can shed some light? Maybe I'm wrong?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Draw and a QB draw is not a counter. The draw is a QB dropping back for a pass and hands off to a back pretending to block. A QB draw is a QB who drops back to pass, but the sprints forward for a designed run. The OL is in pass blocking mode for both of these plays.

A counter goes in the opposite direction of blocking and QB direction. The OL is in run blocking mode. You may have a pulling guard on a counter. We run counter dives off the rocket toss, counter dives off the counter option, and counter options. They all look like the play/run is going one way, but then goes the opposite.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Draw and a QB draw is not a counter. The draw is a QB dropping back for a pass and hands off to a back pretending to block. A QB draw is a QB who drops back to pass, but the sprints forward for a designed run. The OL is in pass blocking mode for both of these plays.

A counter goes in the opposite direction of blocking and QB direction. The OL is in run blocking mode. You may have a pulling guard on a counter. We run counter dives off the rocket toss, counter dives off the counter option, and counter options. They all look like the play/run is going one way, but then goes the opposite.
So it was a draw? Not sure if you thought I was saying a draw and QB draw was the same thing as a counter, but I wasn't. Thank you for the info! I was a QB in high school and was coached at one point by an ex Hawaii QB. We ran a pro style offense though. I've watched GT since CPJ has been the coach but never studied the option like we run, so not as familiar with it as I would be with a different style offense.