1st Half Def. Breakdown vs. Clemson

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I thought it would be interesting to see what we're up against academically vs. Clemson. Their starters include the below majors. Nearly half of the team is "Undeclared". "Pre-business" is supposed to be a prep for a BS-Business degree, yet all four starters majoring in pre-business are JR's and SR's. There's a few other gems, but to compare Tech's SA's to Clemson's in terms of workload appears to be questionable.

upload_2018-9-27_8-6-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-27_8-6-20.png
    upload_2018-9-27_8-6-20.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 43

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought it would be interesting to see what we're up against academically vs. Clemson. Their starters include the below majors. Nearly half of the team is "Undeclared". "Pre-business" is supposed to be a prep for a BS-Business degree, yet all four starters majoring in pre-business are JR's and SR's. There's a few other gems, but to compare Tech's SA's to Clemson's in terms of workload appears to be questionable.

View attachment 4220
As frustrating as that may be... They dont put Academic Points on the Athletic Scoreboard.

It looks petty to trot out this argument every time we get beat by another less rigorous school. Besides, it didnt matter one iota when we beat Clemson multiple times over the last 15-20 years.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

We can be a good defense, but we need to do the small things correct first, like get the play in from the sideline and get lined up. I have yet to see us look outmanned or dominated. We just do other silly stuff that causes breakdowns and lead to scores

I haven't watched this yet, but I will.

Generally, I've felt the same. We aren't untalented. Put another way, we have enough talent to have better results than we've seen.

Also, I'm liking what I've seen from Walton as a tFr. That solid form tackle he put on the Clem Wr on that 3rd down play was something I hadn't seen from a GT db in a long time. Got us off the field too.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As frustrating as that may be... They dont put Academic Points on the Athletic Scoreboard.

It looks petty to trot out this argument every time we get beat by another less rigorous school. Besides, it didnt matter one iota when we beat Clemson multiple times over the last 15-20 years.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Thanks. I was musing over the arguments made that a) academics don't matter (compared to other things) or b) academics do matter since they impact the type of recruits we can persuade to come to Tech. Clemson was the first school I reviewed, could easily have been Duke.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Generally, I've felt the same. We aren't untalented. Put another way, we have enough talent to have better results than we've seen.

Also, I'm liking what I've seen from Walton as a tFr. That solid form tackle he put on the Clem Wr on that 3rd down play was something I hadn't seen from a GT db in a long time. Got us off the field too.

You better watch lol

Contrary to what the village idiots believe, the defense has an extremely high ceiling. I see 3 NFL draft guy talent on Carpenter, Oliver, Walton. It’s just a lot brain farts over there that cost us a big Tim

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I was musing over the arguments made that a) academics don't matter (compared to other things) or b) academics do matter since they impact the type of recruits we can persuade to come to Tech. Clemson was the first school I reviewed, could easily have been Duke.

Thanks for CONTENT.

Once I looked at Stanxxxx and saw a lot of undeclared guys - could that be a school thing. ALSO some pretty nerdy majors.

I would like to learn more about our competition - so I can mention it when needed.

NOW BACK TI IB 'S CONTENT

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You better watch lol

Contrary to what the village idiots believe, the defense has an extremely high ceiling. I see 3 NFL draft guy talent on Carpenter, Oliver, Walton. It’s just a lot brain farts over there that cost us a big Tim

Haha. It's on the agenda.

Agreed. I was listening to Greg Mcelroy on cfb radio on xm and, while discussing the star Clemson QB, he said kind of matter of factly that "Well, Georgia Tech's not that good .. especially on defense, blah, blah, blah".

It made me think. Well, we're really not that bad. We actually look improved but there are young (and not-so young) guys making odd mistakes. Conceptually, we are much better IMHO.

I do agree with the notion that a big differentiating factor between us and good teams is across the LOS. We lack talented depth but that's kinda been true for a long time. Puts more pressure on our lb's and secondary. JMHO

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I see 3 NFL draft guy talent on Carpenter, Oliver, Walton. It’s just a lot brain farts over there that cost us a big Tim

I agree 100%! Those three are ballers, and an absolute upgrade in pure talent over any DBs we've had recently (and that's no knock on Griffin, Gray, the Austins). The three you mentioned, plus others like Juanyeh Thomas are just dudes who pop off the screen in an obvious manner when it comes to athletic ability.

Deleted member 2897

Do you want to be a Clemson or Georgia where your players slide down kiddie slides all day and don't really have to go to school? Then you literally have no excuse not to win 12 games every year as you can go get those highly talented kids that have no interest in class. Personally, I'd rather be the college that's an actual college, but can walk and chew gum at the same time. I mean, we don't offer a single solitary Bachelor of Arts degree. Most of our peers like MIT, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon, etc. don't even field football teams. The very few that do are like Division III where it might as well be intramurals. The only thing that most of the athletes at those schools have with the students there is that they live in the same zip code and wear a lot of the same colors.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You better watch lol

I remember saying look out for Oliver because they didnt give him Jersey 40 for no reason.

He seems to have very good instincts AND get by the blocker quicks without giving up a lane.

Walton is tall - but seems to need more arm strength.

All good prospects.

As for J Thomsd - he needs to be closer to l o s so he can be disruptive on almost every play. As his lover beady matches his upper body - he could be outside lb type.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I remember saying look out for Oliver because they didnt give him Jersey 40 for no reason.

He seems to have very good instincts AND get by the blocker quicks without giving up a lane.

Walton is tall - but seems to need more arm strength.

All good prospects.

As for J Thomsd - he needs to be closer to l o s so he can be disruptive on almost every play. As his lover beady matches his upper body - he could be outside lb type.

You are right on Walton.At 170 or so he needs STRENGTH a lot.I saw 2 missed tackles mainly on that.Is he still on KO team.He made a grevious error in that usf game on a TD runback.But he is a True-fr.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I am glad you also caught how bad the refs were at not calling illegal man downfield on Clemson. It might as well not even been a rule at this point if the ACC is going to let some of this stuff slide.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I am glad you also caught how bad the refs were at not calling illegal man downfield on Clemson. It might as well not even been a rule at this point if the ACC is going to let some of this stuff slide.

Yeah it’s literally a 6yd downfield screen play to the slot WR

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of illegal or uncalled penalties. The holding on defensive players. Several stretched jersey on offensive linemen trying to release to the second level.

Firstly, is this holding? I believe it is. But I have never seen it called at any level of football. Has there ever been a holding call on a defensive lineman limiting the release of an offensive lineman?

Secondly, if it is not holding, our offensive linemen need to use their hands to keep the defensive linemen away from their jerseys as they release.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You are right on Walton.At 170 or so he needs STRENGTH a lot.I saw 2 missed tackles mainly on that.Is he still on KO team.He made a grevious error in that usf game on a TD runback.But he is a True-fr.
At usf we were sitting next to a guy wearing a WALTON jersey.
On the kickoff return the guy was pretty befuddled. On other plays the guy was pretty pumped about his play.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Be careful now. Brant looked like a natural tackler too before he got a season with us under his belt.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

You won't find much of a difference if you do that analysis. If you've got the time, do it for every single one of GT's opponents to reinforce the point. The last time I looked at Duke (maybe 3 years ago?) I think they had 19 different majors represented. GT had 6. As a side comparison, Stanford had 17 different majors. I don't recall how many actually overlapped with what GT offers, but your Clemson example shows just 1: management.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

We can be a good defense, but we need to do the small things correct first, like get the play in from the sideline and get lined up. I have yet to see us look outmanned or dominated. We just do other silly stuff that causes breakdowns and lead to scores

Thanks for the analysis.

Through four games so far, which position group has played the best in your opinion? Which position group needs a spankin'?