1989 COFH Game

northgajacket

Banned
Mine as well. The 89 season and that game in particular was what cemented my fandom for Tech. Tenn had been my #1 before that. Not to mention the starting FB would make better grades than I would in various EE classes. I never understood how he could do that and all the time FB takes.

Was the starting fullback Steffen Scotton in 1989?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I was always curious if the 1989 GT-uga was televised. I have tried to find it on the internet but I was never able to find it. I have always wanted to see that game since it was the first one contested after I was born. I wonder if there is any game film available and if so how can I view the game.

The 1989 game was "aMAYSing" One of the greatest performances ever seen on Grant Field. Jerry went for over 200 yards rushing and broke the receiving record for backs previously held by Robert Lavette. Both teams featured tough defenses and ran out of the I formation. The biggest difference was Tech would run the option out of that formation while Georgia ran more sweeps and dives with their big tailbacks. This was a preview of what was to come the next year with our national champions. Pretty much the same cast using the same plays.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he was the starting full back in both 1989 and 1990. Versatile back used as a blocker, receiver, and short yardage back. Those teams were exceptional on defense, offense, and special teams. Don't let anyone tell you that the 1990 team was a fluke or lucky. They were clearly the best team in the nation at the end of the year. The only problem was Swilling getting his ankle hurt returning a kickoff against Clemson. He was never quite the same after that.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I dont remember. I remember not being able to hate him (humorously), he had a beautiful girlfriend, was the starting FB for the football team and made better great grades than I did and I could not even hate him because he was also a really nice guy. He was more of a casual acquaintance back then.

northgajacket

Banned
I dont remember. I remember not being able to hate him (humorously), he had a beautiful girlfriend, was the starting FB for the football team and made better great grades than I did and I could not even hate him because he was also a really nice guy. He was more of a casual acquaintance back then.

Yeah I remember watching the UVA game and he was the scholar player of that game with a gpa around 3.7 or something like that.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm pretty sure the '89 game wasn't televised. Mays did go out with a bang. Wish he could have hung around one more year.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Not even on tape delay? I know the 1984 game was on tape delay.
IIRC, one of the local TV stations was the sponsor of the Tech game that day. Back then Tech sold sponsorships for the game. Different companies would pay to be the sponsor, and there would be company banner hanging around the stadium, and other types of special recognition. A different local station had the network rights to the game to televise it, so no way were they going to televise the game with their competition being the sponsor that day with their image all over the stadium. It would be like an ABC affiliate televising the game with the NBC affiliate's name on signs all around the stadium. So nobody televised the game, so there was no tape delay telecast. Ross's show was all the highlights I ever saw. It sucked that we beat them and Mays had his best game and only those in the stadium got to see it. That was almost 30 years ago, so my memory may be off some so take it with a grain of salt.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
89 and 90 is the one stretch I recall that we were physically superior to the Mutts. We really pushed them around in 89. I would love to see that game again. They hung around with us for a little while both years but we owned them in the second half. I just remember Jerry Mays running through huge holes all day. I think Ken Swilling had a pick.

northgajacket

Banned
IIRC, one of the local TV stations was the sponsor of the Tech game that day. Back then Tech sold sponsorships for the game. Different companies would pay to be the sponsor, and there would be company banner hanging around the stadium, and other types of special recognition. A different local station had the network rights to the game to televise it, so no way were they going to televise the game with their competition being the sponsor that day with their image all over the stadium. It would be like an ABC affiliate televising the game with the NBC affiliate's name on signs all around the stadium. So nobody televised the game, so there was no tape delay telecast. Ross's show was all the highlights I ever saw. It sucked that we beat them and Mays had his best game and only those in the stadium got to see it. That was almost 30 years ago, so my memory may be off some so take it with a grain of salt.

I see, well that sucks. I tend to forget that only a handful of games were televised back then, and I believe both teams were sitting on 6-4 records heading into that game so the national networks and ESPN probably weren't to interested in broadcasting the game since the only implications for each team was beating the other.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Great set of highlights! Does anyone know who the big #79 was that almost got a pick 6? He was rumblin'. I think Ross called him Willy. I don't remember him. I do remember Eric Thomas and Sean Smith though. I think both of them were seniors. Also this film reminds me of how good a QB Jones was for us. Man he had some moves. He was a redshirt FR in 89.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stefen was really smart, Academic All-American.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great set of highlights! Does anyone know who the big #79 was that almost got a pick 6? He was rumblin'. I think Ross called him Willy. I don't remember him. I do remember Eric Thomas and Sean Smith though. I think both of them were seniors. Also this film reminds me of how good a QB Jones was for us. Man he had some moves. He was a redshirt FR in 89.
Willie 'Bam-Bam' Burkes (sp?)