12/5 - MBB vs U(sic)GA

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Not putting much stock in these rankings at this point but we are 142, so some work to do. Georgia is 148 so the game tomorrow is (presently) Q3.

Other rankings of note:
Cincinnati - 14
Mississippi State - 40
Duke - 37
UMass Lowell - 46

The wins over Missy St and Duke are just outside Q1.
How is a win over the #7 team in the nation not a Q1 victory?

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck

Not putting much stock in these rankings at this point but we are 142, so some work to do. Georgia is 148 so the game tomorrow is (presently) Q3.

Other rankings of note:
Cincinnati - 14
Mississippi State - 40
Duke - 37
UMass Lowell - 46

The wins over Missy St and Duke are just outside Q1.
Those rankings are so weird to me. I can’t figure them out. For example, how is 4-2 McNeese State ranked higher than North Carolina? Maybe I just don’t understand them, but it’s like the football playoffs (sorry to bring that up).

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like the big man rotation to be Ndongo, nC State, and Gapare if they can get him up to speed. All 3 have length we need
I’m surprised Gapare isn’t getting more minutes, even just a minute here and there to give the bigs a breather.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m surprised Gapare isn’t getting more minutes, even just a minute here and there to give the bigs a breather.
It'll probably come. Like Abrams, maybe CDS is rethinking his role(s)? Ngl, I was only loving a small percentage of what I was seeing with him those first few games.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would like the big man rotation to be Ndongo, nC State, and Gapare if they can get him up to speed. All 3 have length we need
Gapare is not a big in the traditional sense. I doubt you ever see him play with his back to the basket.

Feels like CDS is using Gapare and Ndongo in similar roles, and we know where those minutes are going to go.

Plus, he is also nursing an injury. I think that he'll have a role once healthy, especially against bigger teams, but I don't expect it to be a big one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
RE: Carter Murphy

If you listen to Stoudamire talk about players "doing the work", I assume Murphy is "doing the work" every day. He's not getting a lot of minutes, but my guess is he's doing the work required of players during practice, adds a dimension to the team (ability to shoot, plays good defense) that adds value when he's on the floor, and he's not a liability.

Stoudamire has been very clear, he's going to rotate players and see how it shakes out when it's crunch time. Seems like we've been playing at least 10 guys every game. Guys like Carter will see time (even if it's just a few minutes). We saw against Duke, the best players during that game ended the game on the floor. Personally, I thought Stoudamire would try to protect the team from mistakes late in the game, and we'd see guys like Sturdy in the game to protect the lead. Nope...doesn't matter if you're true freshmen or 4th year player. If you're the best player that day, you're gonna help close out the game. You have to love that as a player.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When Lance makes it back, Carter's minutes will be gone like a thief in the night! LOL

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I've always thought of Abram as a scoring/shooting guard first, and a work in progress PG.

My guess is with Nait progressing ahead of schedule at PG, and having a good veteran PG with Sturdivant, the need for Abram at PG has slowed. So now he's fighting for minutes at the shooting guard, but no one on the roster is going to play above Kelly at the 2. There are multiple other guys that can play the two, and with how uneven Abram has been on the offensive and defensive side, he'll have to earn his way back into the rotation.

When asked specifically about Abram, Stoudamire has intimated that Abram needs to work on some things, but the ability is there. Coach speak obviously, but there's no doubt he has the ability to play for us.
“Abram’s gonna be alright.” “He’s my guy.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
On Murphy, folks shouldn't overanalyze things. Having a guy on the floor that's considered a 'shooter' helps everybody.

As long as he knows where to be on D and doesn't play 'outside himself' offensively, it's fine to have him out there.

That's my issue with Gapare. I think he plays too much outside himself. Good thing is that's correctable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
“Abram’s gonna be alright.” “He’s my guy.”

I wrote about this earlier in the season. At some point, fans will just need to believe that Stoudamire is sincere about what he says and take him at his word.

He said he would give players "freedom" to play their game and create. We've seen that.

He said he wanted to space the floor, move the ball around, and let the players play. We've seen that.

He said he wanted GT to be tough (physically and mentally) and play hard. We didn't see it early in the season, but we sure as heck saw it against Duke.

He said he wanted the players to "do the work", and those that do the work will play. We've seen that.

He said he would play a lot of players and see who was the best that day and go from there. We've seen that. (Much to the dismay of some of us)

I think he's the same with players. What he says to them he means and is transparent...I believe he said that's what he's about as a coach. Transparency. If Abram isn't playing, it's probably because he's not doing what Stoudamire requires of all his players. Abram is probably one of the more talented players on the roster. Abram not playing is on Abram. Stoudamire isn't like Deion Sanders, he doesn't have different rules for his "good" or "bad" players.

As a fan, you got to like that. As player, you probably love playing for him.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I wrote about this earlier in the season. At some point, fans will just need to believe that Stoudamire is sincere about what he says and take him at his word.

He said he would give players "freedom" to play their game and create. We've seen that.

He said he wanted to space the floor, move the ball around, and let the players play. We've seen that.

He said he wanted GT to be tough (physically and mentally) and play hard. We didn't see it early in the season, but we sure as heck saw it against Duke.

He said he wanted the players to "do the work", and those that do the work will play. We've seen that.

He said he would play a lot of players and see who was the best that day and go from there. We've seen that. (Much to the dismay of some of us)

I think he's the same with players. What he says to them he means and is transparent...I believe he said that's what he's about as a coach. Transparency. If Abram isn't playing, it's probably because he's not doing what Stoudamire requires of all his players. Abram is probably one of the more talented players on the roster. Abram not playing is on Abram. Stoudamire isn't like Deion Sanders, he doesn't have different for his "good" or "bad" players.

They do seem all bought in.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m sure it’s posted here somewhere but there is a very long, good article by Dana O’Neil on the athletic about CDS.

Agree, very good article. https://theathletic.com/5105015/2023/12/04/georgia-tech-basketball-damon-stoudamire/

Also this. https://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/is-atlanta-ready-to-love-georgia-tech-basketball-again/

It's never as good as it seems or as bad. Just as people were despondent about potential future wins this season after losing two in a row, the reality to me is that we are going to be inconsistent for a while. Hard to tell whether GT fans attitudes or GT W/L performance is more bi-polar but they are correlated.

We'll lose some that we don't expect. Just not tonight please.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I think he's the same with players. What he says to them he means and is transparent...I believe he said that's what he's about as a coach. Transparency. If Abram isn't playing, it's probably because he's not doing what Stoudamire requires of all his players. Abram is probably one of the more talented players on the roster. Abram not playing is on Abram. Stoudamire isn't like Deion Sanders, he doesn't have different rules for his "good" or "bad" players.

Good post. Well said