11/9 - MBB vs. Howard

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You know a lot about basketball. Do you think Howard is a good team, i.e. conference winners maybe this year? Do you think that a large part of the closeness in the game was Howard was very hot shooting? (I know being hot is helped by poor D and don't know enough to separate the two.)

I watched on ACCNX most of the game. I'm real impressed we got down 14 but came back. Shows a lot about character.

Howard looked good to my uncalibrated eyeballs, but how much was them and us I don't know.

Winning always beats losing and I'm glad it was a close game so there is more to learn from without losing.
I do think they will compete in the MEAC. They were a tournament team last season IIRC. I like the Dockery kid and after watching them play against us I even put some $ on them yesterday to upset James Madison (whoops).

My concern is us and our slow starts. It’s unfathomable to me that this trend has seemingly stretched into a fourth consecutive regime. The good news is I think we have the horses now to buckle down defensively against athletic teams and hopefully create easy runouts. I love this roster. The guys just need to get used to each other and hopefully the concerning things we’ve seen in the first couple of games disappear.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I do think they will compete in the MEAC. They were a tournament team last season IIRC. I like the Dockery kid and after watching them play against us I even put some $ on them yesterday to upset James Madison (whoops).

My concern is us and our slow starts. It’s unfathomable to me that this trend has seemingly stretched into a fourth consecutive regime. The good news is I think we have the horses now to buckle down defensively against athletic teams and hopefully create easy runouts. I love this roster. The guys just need to get used to each other and hopefully the concerning things we’ve seen in the first couple of games disappear.
I haven't seen how this team does the pre-game warmups, but it does seem like they need to do something different to get things mentally in gear before tipoff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FYI: James Madison beat Howard tonight 107-86. Keep in mind that Madison beat no. 4 Michigan St. last week.

The AD there is doing a great job. Their football program is probably the best program outside of the Power 5 this year...and that includes Liberty and Tulane.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All the moaning and groaning and I think that everyone has missed the biggest gripe... Free throwing shooting. That will come back to haunt you. 16/27 from the stripe will lose tougher game.

I'll take 2-0 with the understanding that this team is still gelling, and two of our projected starters are still on the mend. Once we hit our stride, this could be a dangerous team.

Hope to see us play well tomorrow night and take care of business from the start. UMASS-Lowell was picked to finish 2nd in their conference (America East).

Once the fellas get more accustomed to playing with one another, know where each other is going to be, the defense will improve.

slugboy

Staff member
All the moaning and groaning and I think that everyone has missed the biggest gripe... Free throwing shooting. That will come back to haunt you. 16/27 from the stripe will lose tougher game.

I'll take 2-0 with the understanding that this team is still gelling, and two of our projected starters are still on the mend. Once we hit our stride, this could be a dangerous team.

Hope to see us play well tomorrow night and take care of business from the start. UMASS-Lowell was picked to finish 2nd in their conference (America East).

Once the fellas get more accustomed to playing with one another, know where each other is going to be, the defense will improve.
At 61%, we rank 292nd in the nation in free throw shooting. We are WAY below average. It will cost us.

I don’t know if I want to say too much after two games, but we start so cold—I don’t know what our first half shooting percentage is, but it seems like it’s lower.

I think we have good coaching to improve our shooting, though.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
At 61%, we rank 292nd in the nation in free throw shooting. We are WAY below average. It will cost us.

I don’t know if I want to say too much after two games, but we start so cold—I don’t know what our first half shooting percentage is, but it seems like it’s lower.

I would expect Kelly and Coleman to "progress" to the mean and be much closer to their career numbers from the FT line than they have been the 1st two games.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

It is way too early to extrapolate free throw shooting statistics. Unless someone has a terribly inconsistent approach or fundamentally incorrect stance it isn't likely to improve one's FT shooting during the season.

Kelly shot 93% for the season last year. He didn't suddenly become a 61% FT shooter. The large sample size is more telling than the small one.

If there is one thing a GT message board should collectively understand it is this.

slugboy

Staff member
It is way too early to extrapolate free throw shooting statistics. Unless someone has a terribly inconsistent approach or fundamentally incorrect stance it isn't likely to improve one's FT shooting during the season.

Kelly shot 93% for the season last year. He didn't suddenly become a 61% FT shooter. The large sample size is more telling than the small one.

If there is one thing a GT message board should collectively understand it is this.
A. Yes, it’s just two games, but it’s also way below average and something Stoudamire talked about in his last postgame presser. it’s got the coaches’ attention

B. Maybe it’s just an aberration, but it’s also a good explanation of part of the scoring margin in the last two games. We did win big enough, though, and have started better than some of our other seasons.