11/9 - MBB vs. Howard

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Don't take Howard or UMass-Lowell too lightly. They're just the types to pull an upset.
Howard won their opener 92-80 over Hampton. They were 9-28 from three point range and made 29 of 36 FYs. Obviously they can shoot very well.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
IMHO Kyle Sturdivant earned a start against Howard after his play against Georgia Southern. CDS wants more assists; playing Kyle is a good way to get them.
I like him coming off the bench. He even said he liked it because it gives him an opportunity to see what the other team's defense is doing before he enters the game. Plus you don't want Abram to feel like he is being demoted for one game where he was off.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
IMHO Kyle Sturdivant earned a start against Howard after his play against Georgia Southern. CDS wants more assists; playing Kyle is a good way to get them.
Unfortunately for Kyle, personal relationships aside, I don't think he's the type of PG coach wants to play, but I agree with you he's the one we need now. He's Just got the experience and ability to keep everything moving

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately for Kyle, personal relationships aside, I don't think he's the type of PG coach wants to play, but I agree with you he's the one we need now. He's Just got the experience and ability to keep everything moving
CDS knows what he is doing. Note who was playing when we took the lead for good and closed out the game.

There will be lots of lineup experiments early this year. At crunch time the players playing best that day will be on the court.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I like him coming off the bench. He even said he liked it because it gives him an opportunity to see what the other team's defense is doing before he enters the game. Plus you don't want Abram to feel like he is being demoted for one game where he was off.

I don't get the bold. Why should we be worried about Abram feeling demoted, when Kyle was the one who was the starting PG here the last two years and the one who actually lost his starting job?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't get the bold. Why should we be worried about Abram feeling demoted, when Kyle was the one who was the starting PG here the last two years and the one who actually lost his starting job?

Team chemistry is better served with Kyle (Assuming he is happy with his role.) coming off the bench. Abram has more physical skills, younger, and a higher potential ceiling. Sturdivant can help him develop his ball distribution skills.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Against GSU, Abram played 16 minutes and Sturdy played 28 minutes. I would venture to guess Sturdy played the majority of minutes because he was more effective that game.

Sometimes fans just need to take a coach at his word. Stoudamire has repeatedly said he's going to play a lot of guys, and the guys that are playing well will stay on the floor. I'm sure somewhere in the season, Abram will go off and have himself a game and he'll get majority of minutes.

IMO, Abram could easily play the 2nd guard and GT doesn't have to take him off the court if Sturdy is also playing well. This is a VERY versatile roster. Maybe one of the most versatile rosters we've had in a long time. I'm sure Stoudamire's job is a LOT easier having all the options he assembled. It's certainly fun watching as a fan.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Against GSU, Abram played 16 minutes and Sturdy played 28 minutes. I would venture to guess Sturdy played the majority of minutes because he was more effective that game.

Sometimes fans just need to take a coach at his word. Stoudamire has repeatedly said he's going to play a lot of guys, and the guys that are playing well will stay on the floor. I'm sure somewhere in the season, Abram will go off and have himself a game and he'll get majority of minutes.

IMO, Abram could easily play the 2nd guard and GT doesn't have to take him off the court if Sturdy is also playing well. This is a VERY versatile roster. Maybe one of the most versatile rosters we've had in a long time. I'm sure Stoudamire's job is a LOT easier having all the options he assembled. It's certainly fun watching as a fan.

I definitely think Abram is gonna have some big games. I was really impressed by Reeves.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’ll also note that Abram played better than Sturdy against Clark Atlanta. We have 2 good PGs - it’s a good spot to be in.

Don't really agree about Abram playing better.

Abram scored 18 points with 1 assist on 6/7 shooting

Kyle scored 5 points with 11 assists on 2/3 shooting.

Abram scored significantly more while Kyle facilitated for other significantly better. Both played very well against an overmatched in a manner that is of their styles.

Team chemistry is better served with Kyle (Assuming he is happy with his role.) coming off the bench. Abram has more physical skills, younger, and a higher potential ceiling. Sturdivant can help him develop his ball distribution skills.

Abram is a good player with high potential but everything to me points to him needing to develop into the PG role as opposed to being just a scorer (which isn't uncommon for a younger player). But we have a team full of guard and wing scoring, Kelly, Coleman, Terry, Reeves, Abram, and even Kyle can score as well. However, the only player we have that has really proven to be an effective facilitator consistently at this time is Kyle.

To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a back court full of capable scorers but not start with a facilitator to help get them going. That just seems to invite a higher chance for a slow start for no real advantage since Kyle has proven himself to be a capable scorer anyways.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Don't really agree about Abram playing better.

Abram scored 18 points with 1 assist on 6/7 shooting

Kyle scored 5 points with 11 assists on 2/3 shooting.

Abram scored significantly more while Kyle facilitated for other significantly better. Both played very well against an overmatched in a manner that is of their styles.

Abram is a good player with high potential but everything to me points to him needing to develop into the PG role as opposed to being just a scorer (which isn't uncommon for a younger player). But we have a team full of guard and wing scoring, Kelly, Coleman, Terry, Reeves, Abram, and even Kyle can score as well. However, the only player we have that has really proven to be an effective facilitator consistently at this time is Kyle.

To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a back court full of capable scorers but not start with a facilitator to help get them going. That just seems to invite a higher chance for a slow start for no real advantage since Kyle has proven himself to be a capable scorer anyways.
I left that game at the Under 8 or Under 12 so good call out. Kyle had a stronger second half from what I heard.