11/28 - MBB vs. Miss St.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
GT vs. Miss St.! ACC vs. SEC! Top 25 opponent coming into McCamish! 7:00 Tuesday night!

Our men's basketball team gets another challenge against a very good Mississippi St. team. In Coach Chris Jans first season last year, they made the NCAA tournament and they are already 6-0 this year with wins over Northwestern and Arizona St. They have an experienced team with 6 Srs. but their best player so far this year is freshman Josh Hubbard coming off the bench. It looks like they play excellent defense, holding opponents to 59 points per game (11th in NCAA).

GT is 2-2 and riding a two-game losing streak and coming off of devastating loss to Cincinnati. They have not looked particularly good so far, but it seems Coach Stoudamire is still searching for the right combinations. So then, is this game hopeless?

Do we have any chance?

Well, yes, I think so. First of all, we are back at home and Miss St. is playing their first true away game. Second, if there is one thing we have done well this year it is offensive rebounding, as we average 15.5 a game (good for 11th). One could argue that is because we miss so many shots, but I would like to think that it is an actual strength of our team and will give us important second chances that will lead to more points. Finally, I would like to point out that our chances are improved because I titled the thread appropriately, which is apparently very important. We'll find out soon.

Go Jackets!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we don't come out like crazed dogs from the opening tip, I'll be extremely disappointed. Anything less is a lack of heart IMO.

Anytime you get beat by 35, you better damn well play like your hair is on fire. As fans, we should expect maximum effort and focus in the next game.

Make no mistake, this is going to be a very tough game. If we don't come ready to play, it could be another big loss. Miss St. is a good defensive team so we must share the ball and make shots.

Hoping that the fan base (and students) show up tomorrow night and give us a home crowd. Maybe more energy in the building will help us get off to a better start.

Will be there in 104 doing my part!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We've had slow starts every game so far. Definitely hoping we come out strong and get the crowd involved early. Maybe students give a good showing with a possible chance of a court storming? They really came out for Wisconsin a couple years ago in the B1G/ACC challenge.

I will be there in 102 bringing the noise and momentum like usual. Sitting 104 with you @Connell62 for the Duke game on Saturday though. Feel like Baye is going to have a big coming out party tomorrow and continue to establish himself.

Also -- anybody seen any news on Lance's return?

Last edited:

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I watched Miss St last game. This game could get out of hand very quickly. Our team is going to have to grow up quick for us to have a chance.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I now believe it going to take a year before we see a big improvement . The style of play is so different and he has so many players to sort through. The FR he has and the 2 he has coming in will be more "moldable" to his game. The group he has now, while talented, have been playing in a different system. Pastner was 90% zone defense, and high post Princetone offense. Niether is Stoudamire's style. I think he will do a good job, but patience is going to be required. I hope I'm wrong. We'll see how quickly the new stlyle(s) are picked up, and by which players. Thoughts?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
IMG_9479.png

We are in the “Louisville” group below the arse group. 🫣🥲

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As I said above, I expect us to compete and match their physicality. That’s a must to have a chance.

From there, it’s gonna come down to guard play; we need big games from our lead guards and one of Deebo/Miles/Kowacie.

Let’s get loud!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
As I said above, I expect us to compete and match their physicality. That’s a must to have a chance.

From there, it’s gonna come down to guard play; we need big games from our lead guards and one of Deebo/Miles/Kowacie.

Let’s get loud!
Yep - I do expect us to play a lot better than we did last time. Let's see what we get tonight. They must compete as you say and I hope there are a few tweeks in the offensive approach.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
CDS ought to be getting a clue as to who can play, and with whom, by this time. I still think there's a potential late surge in this team after Terry returns. He's a sparkplug for the team... at least he was last season.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
CDS ought to be getting a clue as to who can play, and with whom, by this time. I still think there's a potential late surge in this team after Terry returns. He's a sparkplug for the team... at least he was last season.
We need to pass the ball before Terry is going to have an impact. Our strong shooters (of which there are many) are neutralized when they can't catch the ball in the pocket and shoot in rhythm.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that we need good guard play, especially if we are going to play this spread/iso style offense. And our guards all need to be more determined finishers. I know ideally the intent is to break down your man to force the defense to adjust and then find the open man for a scoring opportunity, but it only works if the initiator is actually a legitimate threat to score. Our guards haven’t really been a consistent threat to score off of penetration. Unfortunately none of our guards can play above the rim, but even so, the lack of athleticism and creativity that they have shown in finishing in the lane and at the rim has been a problem for our offense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
With the shooters we have there is always a chance we can win by having a hot night shooting. It'll be interesting to see what if anything changes after the sputtering start. Need to have at least a good competitive showing to prevent too much negative momentum building.