ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That sounds like a rapper's name.

Done.
IMG_2397.PNG

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Georgia Tech: Per source, defensive coordinator Nate Woody is having Appalachian State graduate assistant Trey Money join him at Georgia Tech. Money worked with the linebackers at App State.

Sweet, CNW already demonstrating that he gets it. The #1 complaint on this board is that the AA needs more Money in order to compete with the big boys.

slugboy

Staff member
It says "Graduate Assistant" on that post. Anyway, hope whoever it is can coach and recruit.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Bud is head of

Wish we had an influential gt person as member of the board of governors of ncaa.
Oh, wait we do have a gt guy . Its this Buds for u P is the president.
Only thing missing is " influential" in a manner that goes against mega p 5 schools.
At least the research center is ginning out admin $.
Maybe next YEAR he will ....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Meh the playoffs do let non-blueblood schools in, Michigan State and Washington both made the playoffs.
MSU #16 in football revenue.
UW #25.

The playoff is not that old. As the years go by, you’ll see my prediction come to pass. There will always be outliers. The current regulations (or lack there of) favor the rich. Parity is not an objective.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree. I think we're going to see more parity going forward. I believe that at least 1 of the playoff spots most years will be a non-blueblood and we will have a few that will contain more than one.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. I think we're going to see more parity going forward. I believe that at least 1 of the playoff spots most years will be a non-blueblood and we will have a few that will contain more than one.
I say , u say
In next 3 years 12 spots.
How many are outliers like ucf? 0 due to the almost mega p5 complain about week shedule.
How many like gt, duke, Kentucky? 0
How many regular power 5 ( staff of less than 30) like Arkansas, Missouri, penn state , ucla, washington? 1
How many mega power 5 (staff 30 ish) that are not in sec or acc like osu, michigan? 2
The other 9 - 3 alabama 1 auburn, 2 clemson, 1 fsu, 1 miami, and 3 to ou, osu, lsu, msu , miss, texas
EVERY RECRUIT THAT SABAN HAS COACHED HAS A NATTY RING. He has unlimited budget to hire asst coaches.

My pick is basically the best 3 teams from acc super mega verses the sec super mega 3 and 1 other.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I say , u say
In next 3 years 12 spots.
How many are outliers like ucf? 0 due to the almost mega p5 complain about week shedule.
How many like gt, duke, Kentucky? 0
How many regular power 5 ( staff of less than 30) like Arkansas, Missouri, penn state , ucla, washington? 1
How many mega power 5 (staff 30 ish) that are not in sec or acc like osu, michigan? 2
The other 9 - 3 alabama 1 auburn, 2 clemson, 1 fsu, 1 miami, and 3 to ou, osu, lsu, msu , miss, texas
EVERY RECRUIT THAT SABAN HAS COACHED HAS A NATTY RING. He has unlimited budget to hire asst coaches.

My pick is basically the best 3 teams from acc super mega verses the sec super mega 3 and 1 other.
If I understand you correctly you’re saying 3 of the 4 spots, on average, will go to the mega-budget factories. In this I agree.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not counting G5 teams, which really have 0 chance of getting in. Of the p5 teams I think almost every year at least one spot will go to a non-blueblood and maybe even 2 (Iowa was the first one out year 1). Wisconsin and TCU have both been close as well. Years like this one where everyone was a factory school will be an outlier.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm not counting G5 teams, which really have 0 chance of getting in. Of the p5 teams I think almost every year at least one spot will go to a non-blueblood and maybe even 2 (Iowa was the first one out year 1). Wisconsin and TCU have both been close as well. Years like this one where everyone was a factory school will be an outlier.
75% "blue bloods" making the playoff is not parity. I think over several years it'll even be higher than 75%. What is so wrong with instituting caps on various things with the idea of evening the playing field?

Coaches salaries, cap it.
Support staff, cap it.
Total expenditures, cap it.
Academic minimums, raise them. (Sheesh, a college student should read above a 6th grade level.)

If you want to beat your opponent, out coach them, out recruit them, out play them. But do these things on a level playing field. The only one that's level is the last one because they have to play on the same field with the same rules.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
From AJC article.

Georgia Tech has completed its coaching staff with the hire of Wofford defensive line coach Jerome Riase. The hire was confirmed by a person familiar with the situation. Riase will have to go through a standard background check for the hire to be made official.

Riase had coached at Wofford for the past four seasons. He did not overlap with new Tech defensive coordinator Nate Woody – who was defensive coordinator at Wofford 2000-12 before moving on to Appalachian State – but did coach with Shiel Wood, who was Wofford’s safeties coach in 2016 and its defensive coordinator in 2017. Wofford had six defensive-line selections to the Southern Conference all-conference team during his tenure. He also held the title of defensive run-game coordinator.

Wofford continued to run a 3-4 defense after Woody left, and Riase evidently had the knowledge base that Woody was seeking for that position. Tech decided not to retain defensive line coach Mike Pelton with a plan to hire a replacement with experience coaching the defensive line in the 3-4.

The hire was first reported in a tweet from a Spartanburg Herald-Journal reporter.