10 More Games, Time to Sack Up!

Just got back home from the game. Met Swillings and Q Jackson parents at the hotel before the game. Yes, we had and have issues . Agree with time to regroup and move on. We have a season left to play. Hope all these posters complaining about Johnson and staff are dedicated enough enough to give to the AA fund drive . Not rose colored glasses but refuse to join the pile on. I’m in it for the long term and the team. Changes occur when changes are needed. That’s been true for a long time. Money in the bank makes a big difference.
I tried to convince two different posters on here last night of that, and yet they say they will never give another cent to the AA as long as CPJ is coach. So how the hell do they expect us to afforcd anyone without money in the bank? They don't care; they're sticking by their stubbornness.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
@Northeast Stinger:

The reality is that unlike MIT, Cal Tech, and probably Carnegie Mellon, GT does play Big Boy Football. But the academic standards are the same. Everyone, okay; most everyone on this Board supports the Institute and its student athletes. However, as a announcer said a long, long, time ago when I was watching GT as a kid on a black and white TV: "You can't be a dummy and go to Georgia Tech!" That still holds true today!

Other schools that are not in the category of STEM can bring in anyone for the most part who are only required to fog a mirror. Stanford has some great kids who are academic stalwarts, but not all of them are in STEM majors.

GT was great back in the time of Heisman and Dodd, as were the military academies. But the evolution of sports, discipline, and pride has caused a disturbance in the balance of the force that has strongly tilted toward athletes not wanting to work as hard academically.

That being said, CPJ and his staff have done a magnificent job of getting quality players who not only can handle the academic rigors of a STEM based education, but want to be at Tech. We can all agree that the pool of players who meet that baseline are those who also look at military academies. Unfortunately, it's not a very large pool of kids to begin with.

As for the margin of error being razor thin, even David couldn't hold off an entire army of Goliaths with slingshots and stones. But he can certainly have his moments and slay enough to get to the ACC Championship Game, Orange Bowl, and be ranked in the top ten from time to time.

That's reality and I'm good with that because if you sacrifice your standards, you become North Carolina or SMU back in the day under the Pony express pay for play model. An Embarrassment!

Great post and you should include Rice who is still trying to play Big Boy Football but can't compete.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good takeaways:
600 yard of offense
TM threw the ball well and found open receivers
TO came in and drove the offense to three score
Mason came in and averaged over 7 yards per carry
A back and receiver blocking was excellent
The defense played well the first half.
5 stops on 6 possessions
Goal line stand
We had a 60 yard punt
We made our field goals and all extra points

Bottom line, fix the kick coverage. Give the defense time to grow and learn. This was only the second game for them.
Offense, very little to fix.
Just don't fumble.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

This is no place for that kind of rational, objective discussion!!!

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I tried to convince two different posters on here last night of that, and yet they say they will never give another cent to the AA as long as CPJ is coach. So how the hell do they expect us to afforcd anyone without money in the bank? They don't care; they're sticking by their stubbornness.
Depends on how much they are not giving. Been around a long time. Big difference in a $1-5 k giver and a $ 25- 100 k giver deciding not to donate for whatever reason. I’ve always wondered how many larger donors post on these boards.
Regardless of whether Johnson wins or loses we need the fund to compete. They should Listen to Todd talk about his vision. It is not coach specific. Best AD we have had in years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

That's what happens when you give an extension to a coach who misses a bowl game for the second time in three years. People lose confidence that their money will be spent well.

So folks, take a long look at this record. Based on this we should have, Fired, Coach Alex, Fired Bobby Dodd, Fired Bobby Ross, as you all base what is happening now with CPJ. Tech is not Alabama.

index.html

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We’ve waited 10 LONG months for this season to begin, lets just try to savor this precious time and enjoy watching our men in White and Gold do battle and quit making this all such a miserable experience please! There’s no quit in any CPJ team that i’ve ever watched, the season is not lost!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest difference with TO and Taquan was the sets and the splits we used to suit either quarterback's talent set. Either our guys have more difficulty blocking with wider splits, the USF defense was better at handling them, or both. Not like we generally had trouble moving the ball either way. Clearly Marshall is the more talented QB, and we have no idea what TO would look like if he had to pass. This game exposed us, but it exposed us in ways that are all fixable. Too bad we had to take a L to find that out since the game was probably ours until the fumble. Still, it's gonna be a stretch to imagine we will actually fix all the things that are broken. Mainly it showed how we're going to continue to struggle on D until we get more reps in, probably next year. Hopefully the O and fortune will be on our side enough the rest of the way to salvage a good season nonetheless. CPJ has shown we don't need a great D to succeed, but it sure is nice.

GTFLETCH

Banned
After this loss we are looking at going 2-2 OOC (win against FCS and Bowling Green and Losses to USF & UGag) 4-4 ACC (wins vs Pitt, UVA, UNC, Louisville and losses to Duke, Clemson, VT & Miami) If we are only going to win 5 or 6 games... Hopefully we can get to a who give a f*** Bowl and win for 7 total wins on the year

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And you love talking about them for some reason. It seems all you are here to do is be the gatekeeper
I’m willing to bet most here would agree that the best way to keep this forum the classiest sports discussion board on the Internet, is to police it ourselves rather than rely on the mods. I know for me, if a bunch of my peers told me I was out of line with my comments, I take it to heart a lot more than if it was a moderator.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We’ve waited 10 LONG months for this season to begin, lets just try to savor this precious time and enjoy watching our men in White and Gold do battle and quit making this all such a miserable experience please! There’s no quit in any CPJ team that i’ve ever watched, the season is not lost!
You must not have watched the Duke game last year.

That said, I agree with the sentiment of your post. We haven't even played a conference game yet. No time to panic.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

That said, I agree with the sentiment of your post. We haven't even played a conference game yet. No time to panic.

Yeah i’ll give you that, the def probably quit in the 2nd half of that one

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Exactly. I am hopeful that we beat Pitt, then it is definitely probable that we lose to Clemson. That would put Tech at 2-2 with a stretch of 7 winnable games in a row until Georgia. The season is not yet lost.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has turned us into Navy. We have to outscore teams and dominate TOP.

We aren’t explosive on offense anymore and our defensive talent isn’t capable of stringing stops together without turnovers.
I'm pissed about the game, but you don't rack up 600 yards without explosive plays. I think we've gotten numb to 20-30 yard runs. Those are big time plays that have become normal for us. Per usual we played well enough on offense to win. That doesn't excuse Paul from being the HC though and having all three facets playing well. Special teams has to improve drastically, and so does the defense, although I think they will get better as the year goes on. I think CNW is a good one. I never ever liked Roof after watching his Auburn defenses.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Some of these roaches haven’t been seen since back to back losses to Duke and North Carolina, and they were calling for CPJ’s firing . Oh, and the year I’m referring to was 2014.
And coach out in shamire at lg..

the rest of 14 our line dominated the line of scrimmage.

In 15 the same line was not able to deal w the adjustments the other teams presented.

Now we have a quick , mobile and still strong ol. We have adjusted.

Be positive