10 More Games, Time to Sack Up!

Amerson1990

Banned
CPJ is probably what needs to be sacked up the most , haha.
I hear ya let’s let the season play out with our gold colored glasses on and pretend there’s no elephant in the room and everything is kosher. I think everyone told me the same thing about this past baseball season early on.....either way It doesn’t really matter if we win the next 10 or lose the next 10, one thing is for sure.... CPJ will be back at the helm in 2019, so might as well make the best of it

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Finally someone with a good thread.

Sure, we were all disappointed losing yesterday but what is interesting is that despite having two KO's returned for TD's, and two players being tossed for very questionable targeting calls, we were still in position to win the game. I almost forgot about losing our B-Back after the first couple of series, then having our QB injured shortly thereafter. Oops. My Bad! Our starting Center (Actually # 2) on the depth chart went out for a few series as well. YET, the offense still worked! Tobias was very impressive!!

GT has a razor thin margin for error in each game we play. We saw that firsthand yesterday. But despite all of the foregoing, the Yellow Jackets still had a chance to win this game and the backups stepped it up.

Let's try to be somewhat positive while reflecting on what transpired throughout this game to the entire team on both sides of the football and put it into proper perspective. Also, USF might be be a pretty decent team and I'll wait until they finish up the season and look back and say: GT lost to a conference championship game participant.

Just saying.

Good takeaways:
600 yard of offense
TM threw the ball well and found open receivers
TO came in and drove the offense to three score
Mason came in and averaged over 7 yards per carry
A back and receiver blocking was excellent
The defense played well the first half.
5 stops on 6 possessions
Goal line stand
We had a 60 yard punt
We made our field goals and all extra points

Bottom line, fix the kick coverage. Give the defense time to grow and learn. This was only the second game for them.
Offense, very little to fix.
Just don't fumble.

Oh, and by the way, you never want this to happen and I can't believe I am saying this because I worry about Duke, But their QB might be gone for the year. Broken Clavicle. And he is the machine of their offense.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is probably what needs to be sacked up the most , haha.
I hear ya let’s let the season play out with our gold colored glasses on and pretend there’s no elephant in the room and everything is kosher. I think everyone told me the same thing about this past baseball season early on.....either way It doesn’t really matter if we win the next 10 or lose the next 10, one thing is for sure.... CPJ will be back at the helm in 2019, so might as well make the best of it
Not sure you got enough clichés in there.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has turned us into Navy. We have to outscore teams and dominate TOP.

We aren’t explosive on offense anymore and our defensive talent isn’t capable of stringing stops together without turnovers.
Literally the entire point of the game is to outscore the other team. Have they changed the rules?

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Just got back home from the game. Met Swillings and Q Jackson parents at the hotel before the game. Yes, we had and have issues . Agree with time to regroup and move on. We have a season left to play. Hope all these posters complaining about Johnson and staff are dedicated enough enough to give to the AA fund drive . Not rose colored glasses but refuse to join the pile on. I’m in it for the long term and the team. Changes occur when changes are needed. That’s been true for a long time. Money in the bank makes a big difference.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@Northeast Stinger:

The reality is that unlike MIT, Cal Tech, and probably Carnegie Mellon, GT does play Big Boy Football. But the academic standards are the same. Everyone, okay; most everyone on this Board supports the Institute and its student athletes. However, as a announcer said a long, long, time ago when I was watching GT as a kid on a black and white TV: "You can't be a dummy and go to Georgia Tech!" That still holds true today!

Other schools that are not in the category of STEM can bring in anyone for the most part who are only required to fog a mirror. Stanford has some great kids who are academic stalwarts, but not all of them are in STEM majors.

GT was great back in the time of Heisman and Dodd, as were the military academies. But the evolution of sports, discipline, and pride has caused a disturbance in the balance of the force that has strongly tilted toward athletes not wanting to work as hard academically.

That being said, CPJ and his staff have done a magnificent job of getting quality players who not only can handle the academic rigors of a STEM based education, but want to be at Tech. We can all agree that the pool of players who meet that baseline are those who also look at military academies. Unfortunately, it's not a very large pool of kids to begin with.

As for the margin of error being razor thin, even David couldn't hold off an entire army of Goliaths with slingshots and stones. But he can certainly have his moments and slay enough to get to the ACC Championship Game, Orange Bowl, and be ranked in the top ten from time to time.

That's reality and I'm good with that because if you sacrifice your standards, you become North Carolina or SMU back in the day under the Pony express pay for play model. An Embarrassment!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
@Northeast Stinger:

The reality is that unlike MIT, Cal Tech, and probably Carnegie Mellon, GT does play Big Boy Football. But the academic standards are the same. Everyone, okay; most everyone on this Board supports the Institute and its student athletes. However, as a announcer said a long, long, time ago when I was watching GT as a kid on a black and white TV: "You can't be a dummy and go to Georgia Tech!" That still holds true today!

Other schools that are not in the category of STEM can bring in anyone for the most part who are only required to fog a mirror. Stanford has some great kids who are academic stalwarts, but not all of them are in STEM majors.

GT was great back in the time of Heisman and Dodd, as were the military academies. But the evolution of sports, discipline, and pride has caused a disturbance in the balance of the force that has strongly tilted toward athletes not wanting to work as hard academically.

That being said, CPJ and his staff have done a magnificent job of getting quality players who not only can handle the academic rigors of a STEM based education, but want to be at Tech. We can all agree that the pool of players who meet that baseline are those who also look at military academies. Unfortunately, it's not a very large pool of kids to begin with.

As for the margin of error being razor thin, even David couldn't hold off an entire army of Goliaths with slingshots and stones. But he can certainly have his moments and slay enough to get to the ACC Championship Game, Orange Bowl, and be ranked in the top ten from time to time.

That's reality and I'm good with that because if you sacrifice your standards, you become North Carolina or SMU back in the day under the Pony express pay for play model. An Embarrassment!
Love what you said!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
But you sacrifice every other aspect of football: special teams and defense.

I'm a PJ supporter fwiw, but people need to understand what you get with him.
I don’t think that the sacrifice is required and hope we will begin to see that this year although I am frustrated with losses like this one.