10-2? 9-3? 8-4? 7-5? End of season predictions

Not predicting or advocating for this, just a hypothetical. Say we go 7-5, and still are woeful on defense, losing to both Clemson and Georgia in spite of scoring 30 or 35 points and putting up 500 + yards of offense. What if Bobinski came to CPJ and said "you can stay, but Ted must go." Then what?
First, I don't think an AD should be telling his HC who to hire and fire. Second, I don't think MBob would even consider doing something like that.

When you say things like you want CPJ to go if we go 8-4, and follow it up with something about respect and the top 10...you should probably expect some criticism to come your way, because given the offseason turmoil, and in-season results and reasons for optimsim coming up, it would take a whole lot of reaching to justify firing CPJ.

My outlook is very rosy. I think UVA's offense scuffles (relative to our expectations for our D) on the road against us just enough but most importantly we take care of the ball and execute on offense.

GT wins 38-20

@ NC State, CPJ and the gang impress the importance of this game in terms of conference standings, and instead of wilting the offense contineus to roll. The defense though suffers some setbacks.

GT wins 41-35

Clemson announces on Tuesday that Watson's recovery did not go as expected and he'll be unavailable for Saturday's game against GT. GT fans show up in droves and are LOUD. Defense has best game of season causing 3 turnovers and hurrying Stoudt all around the yard. Offense grinds out enough possessions for a victory.

GT wins 27-16 (concurrently Duke has tripped up @ Syrcause and against UNC, after Miami beat UNC and lost to FSU leaving GT as the Coastal Champion)

@ UGA, Gurley is banged up against Auburn, and Chubb is limited in practice with hamstring tightness. Douglas is the feature back and he coughs the ball up 2 times in the Redzone both leading to GT TD drives. UGA mounts a late comeback but a Harrison Butker FG to go up 11 with 3:14 to play and onside recovery after a TD and 2 point conversion for UGA seal it for GT.

GT 35- UGA-32

In Charlotte, Neither team's defense has an answer to the other's offense. Jameis Winston throws a pick 6 to Quayshawn Nealy on the would-be game winning drive.

GT 42 FSU: 31.

Controversy ensues as FSU goes to the Playoff ahead of GT who is also left out in favor of SEC Champion UGA. FSU and UGA meet in National Championship game and FSU wins the game, to repeat as national champs.

A well-organized boycott leads NCAA to notice the playoff machinations are screwed up, AP awards GT split national title alongside FSU after GT dismantles Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Playoff Final Four as follows: #1 Oregon loses to #4 UGA, #2 Michigan State loses to #3 Florida State. 2-loss SEC west teams left out as is 2-loss Notre Dame. NCAA has internal inquiry and decides to develop 16-team playoff for all conference champs and remainder at-larges. NCAA bans schdeuling of FCS schools by FBS teams.
How much for the movie rights?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow you guys are a lot worse than I expected. Never expected to be told to stop following GT football over saying something that i now regret. I asked for criticism, not insults. I'm a 3 year straight season ticket holder bought with my own money and most likely louder than most in the stands so please do not under estimate me

I had us at 8-4 best guess and 9-3 for a great season. Still have us there.

I think we take out UVa with some difficulty if we are close in turnovers. NCState should be about as difficult as Tulane. I tremendously admire the NC State fans becasue you can bet that they will have a sold out stadium even though the alum I talk to from there say they don't expect to win an ACC game again this year. (I hope they do, just not against us.) Clemson and UGAg are losses most likely. But either one being a win would make this a fabulous season.

Also, we have an outside chance at the ACCCG. I think we have about the best chance to beat FSU of any Coastal team if we can do the death marches and frustrate FSU into errors. Based on the FSU D so far, I think that is a possibility. In fact I won't be surprised if Miami beats FSU (30% likely).

The bowl game all depends on who we match up with. The only thing 100% is that we will not be in the top 4 even if we go 10-2 and beat FSU.

Finally, there are hot button issues which get people going. We have beat to death the CPJ status in numerous other threads and even if you hadn't mentioned it, someone probably would have. But I do have to thank you for not bringing uniforms or recruiting into the thread! (tic) Just keep posting.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When you say things like you want CPJ to go if we go 8-4, and follow it up with something about respect and the top 10...you should probably expect some criticism to come your way, because given the offseason turmoil, and in-season results and reasons for optimsim coming up, it would take a whole lot of reaching to justify firing CPJ.

My outlook is very rosy. I think UVA's offense scuffles (relative to our expectations for our D) on the road against us just enough but most importantly we take care of the ball and execute on offense.

GT wins 38-20

@ NC State, CPJ and the gang impress the importance of this game in terms of conference standings, and instead of wilting the offense contineus to roll. The defense though suffers some setbacks.

GT wins 41-35

Clemson announces on Tuesday that Watson's recovery did not go as expected and he'll be unavailable for Saturday's game against GT. GT fans show up in droves and are LOUD. Defense has best game of season causing 3 turnovers and hurrying Stoudt all around the yard. Offense grinds out enough possessions for a victory.

GT wins 27-16 (concurrently Duke has tripped up @ Syrcause and against UNC, after Miami beat UNC and lost to FSU leaving GT as the Coastal Champion)

@ UGA, Gurley is banged up against Auburn, and Chubb is limited in practice with hamstring tightness. Douglas is the feature back and he coughs the ball up 2 times in the Redzone both leading to GT TD drives. UGA mounts a late comeback but a Harrison Butker FG to go up 11 with 3:14 to play and onside recovery after a TD and 2 point conversion for UGA seal it for GT.

GT 35- UGA-32

In Charlotte, Neither team's defense has an answer to the other's offense. Jameis Winston throws a pick 6 to Quayshawn Nealy on the would-be game winning drive.

GT 42 FSU: 31.

Controversy ensues as FSU goes to the Playoff ahead of GT who is also left out in favor of SEC Champion UGA. FSU and UGA meet in National Championship game and FSU wins the game, to repeat as national champs.

A well-organized boycott leads NCAA to notice the playoff machinations are screwed up, AP awards GT split national title alongside FSU after GT dismantles Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Playoff Final Four as follows: #1 Oregon loses to #4 UGA, #2 Michigan State loses to #3 Florida State. 2-loss SEC west teams left out as is 2-loss Notre Dame. NCAA has internal inquiry and decides to develop 16-team playoff for all conference champs and remainder at-larges. NCAA bans schdeuling of FCS schools by FBS teams.

Wish the last sentence came true - ban FCS games. Some gt guys love 7-5 seasons w two wins over cup cakes. Against fbs we would be 6-6 or 5-7 - that's reality.

Animal02

Banned
Wish the last sentence came true - ban FCS games. Some gt guys love 7-5 seasons w two wins over cup cakes. Against fbs we would be 6-6 or 5-7 - that's reality.

I would love to see the FCS games banned WRT playoff consideration. But that would simply mean the Mid American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt teams would command a much higher contract number to play the power 5 teams.....it is all supply and demand.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you about FCS teams as long as they are banned for everyone, but why would we automatically lose against any random FBS team? You don't think we can beat the Purdue's and South Florida's of the world?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am - as always - an optimist hoping to see us win out, but my guess is we go 9-3.. I just hope we beat UGA as it has been a while.

Regrettably I think we are in too deep a hole to make the ACCCG but it sure would be sweet

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
8-4 is a record we should be proud of, a good season with a chance to go 9-4 with a bowl. A 9 win year, hell yea! I will take that any year.

I don't think many of the people here understand how awful it is to be a 4-8 team or a 5-7 team. Many of us I am sure are also Falcons fans. How much fun has it been watching the falcons play the past two years... Wouldn't you rather have us make the playoffs and lose, than go 4-12 for years in a row.

You think 7-5 leads to apathy, wait and see what 4-8 leads to.. Levels of disinterest and empty seats you never imagined.

One thing with Paul Johnson that you have to at least give him credit for is that we have been in all but a couple of games we have played the past 6 seasons. And we have played some very good teams and even won a bunch of them!

I think Paul is a great coach, and you have to appreciate all that he has accomplished and that we have enjoyed. Last year was our worst year under his leadership, with a sputtering confused offense. He followed it up with his most consistent and productive to date.

As far as being a fan is concerned, I would rather be great at one thing, than decent at both (Chan). And I would rather be great at offense than defense, look how painful it is to watch a Florida game. With us, at least you get highlights even in a loss.

Anyways an 8 or 9 win season can get you preseason ranked the next year, and that's more excitement in an offseason than we have had in a while. I think of GT as a top 25 program, and that's where I want us to be. It's more fun to complain about not being top 10 when you're 20th in the country than complaining about not making a bowl.

Enjoy the season for what it is, we have a lot to achieve in front of us, let's go take care of business.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Talking with my neighbor (went to Naval Academy), he said just think ... a few more great plays and we'd be undefeated. Being an engineer, I said, yup a few less great plays and we'd be 4-4. (Lose to VT and GSU). CFB makes normal people go crazy - in the office we have UVa, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Liberty, Navy, NorthWestern, etc. The story is the same .... you just never know.

My neighbor will be over on Saturday to enjoy the game and drink some beers. That's all I can really predict; we'll have a good time watching the game. It's great to be bowl eligible. Now to work on winning the next game!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Johnson is on track to get 8 wins this season and keep his job for another year. But it's likely to end on a sour note as Tech loses its last 3 games, Clemson, Georgia, and a bowl opponent, which will put Johnson back on the hot seat again next season.
Didn't you pencil in losses to VT and Miami as well?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Accept the criticism as (hopefully) constructive, but take the insults with a grain of salt. And remember some of what you perceive to be an insult is possibly also just poorly worded criticism. Regardless, since you are a season ticket holder, you have every right to an opinion. It's those who don't buy tickets, attend games, or support the program whose opinions are worthless in my book.
Uh oh, I just fell into the worthless pile I think. Since moving to New England I have not been able to attend a game. But I stay glued to the TV when I can. :smuggrin:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
we should beat uvag and ncst, Clemson i see as a tossup

and no one in the media is giving us a chance against ugag, in fact not even mentioning us as potential stumbling blocks despite how close we came to beating them last year. i think we have a good chance to pull an upset in athens