1/6 - MBB vs. Boston College

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I re-watched the Kelly flagrant 1 call 3 times in slo-mo. Only way it could be called on Kelly, the ref had to ignore the elbow to the face and ignore the hook around the neck only to call it an arm trap. Unbelievable and it changed the momentum.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what Kelly is supposed to do when a guy has his arm around his neck. Those refs are horrible .The technical on CDS was borderline deserved but his gripe was also deserved. The guy walked out of his shoes well before the foul

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. It was a three point game at that point. Kelly could have made it a one point game. Instead, we were down eight.
He could shoot 40% from 3 as well. He doesn’t, but he could. What is absolutely certain is that we kicked their *** going into HT and came out like we were up 40 and did the same thing we’ve done all season, play half a game.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't get the hook and hold. Kelly takes a shot to the face which is supposed to be a flagrant. Are they saying after he took the shot he then grabbed the other players hand the put it on his throat faking being choked?
It was created to protect big guys under the hoop. When battling for position, bigs often hook and hold the opponent on the box out. It was leading to shoulder injuries. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it away from the hoop like that personally.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It didn’t change the outcome. Gt not playing well for 12+ min changed the outcome. It was a clear hook and hold, though I think he got fouled before the hook and hold.
That's why I was confused. He hooked him ... because he got elbowed first. How do you review it and reverse it ... despite seeing it in the first place.

The bigger issue is those 2 players were going back and forth all game until it escalated to that play.

The refs weren't the reason we loss but they affected the game in a way refs shouldn't.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't get the hook and hold. Kelly takes a shot to the face which is supposed to be a flagrant. Are they saying after he took the shot he then grabbed the other players hand the put it on his throat faking being choked?

But they called the shot to the face initially ... then reviewed it and changed the call to a violation that happened after the shot to the face. Make it make sense.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
There needs to be a coaches NIL just for games like this to absolutely tear into the refs. I will gladly help pay a fine if it means 1- hearing a coaches true mind. 2- not letting a group get away with such a sick job.

This is not me putting the loss on the refs, we lost that with our shooting in the second. This is keeping people accountable

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
He could shoot 40% from 3 as well. He doesn’t, but he could. What is absolutely certain is that we kicked their *** going into HT and came out like we were up 40 and did the same thing we’ve done all season, play half a game.
I agree. I’m not saying we didn’t put ourselves in that position. All I’m saying is that it changed the final couple minutes of the game, and it didn’t have to be that way.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There needs to be a coaches NIL just for games like this to absolutely tear into the refs. I will gladly help pay a fine if it means 1- hearing a coaches true mind. 2- not letting a group get away with such a sick job.

This is not me putting the loss on the refs, we lost that with our shooting in the second. This is keeping people accountable
Officials should also be obligated to speak to the media

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have other commitments today and won't get home until 6:00 or so, meaning I won't be joining the Chat today. Y'all make sure to do your magic to make us win.
I'll time compress the DVR and hopefully watch GT get the W.
... Well at least I was able to reduce the time vested watching the game.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It was created to protect big guys under the hoop. When battling for position, bigs often hook and hold the opponent on the box out. It was leading to shoulder injuries. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it away from the hoop like that personally.
But the hook and hold is when you put your arm around the other guys arm then grab it to prevent the guy from moving his arm. Nothing like that occurred plus anything that did occur happened after the face shot. Is this like the 15-5 penalties in football used to be where the penalty after the penalty negated the fact the 1st penalty occurred?

I've never seen anything like this but I knew from the length of time it was taking they were cooking up something good to screw us over. The old GT non-home court advantage. I was not disappointed, outraged yes, disappointed no. The refs delivered exactly what I figured, just never heard of it before. Will likely never see it again.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan

Terrible idea. It was a clear hook & hold. And I thought the non traveling call that led to the tech was also debatable and, in fact, I was leaning towards the official being right. The officials were actually right significantly more than wrong in this game. The close calls are being exaggerated cause of the frustrations that GT let Bc have the lead at that point.

What does holding officials accountable to you mean? You’ll be surprised that officials are held accountable in many ways. This is not a game to “punish” the refs. They called a good game. I’m sure their bosses will provide info on what they can do better.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
But the hook and hold is when you put your arm around the other guys arm then grab it to prevent the guy from moving his arm. Nothing like that occurred plus anything that did occur happened after the face shot. Is this like the 15-5 penalties in football used to be where the penalty after the penalty negated the fact the 1st penalty occurred?

I've never seen anything like this but I knew from the length of time it was taking they were cooking up something good to screw us over. The old GT non-home court advantage. I was not disappointed, outraged yes, disappointed no. The refs delivered exactly what I figured, just never heard of it before. Will likely never see it again.
I’m not sure…my fit is finally over. Lol

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Unacceptable to lose THAT game at Home with a 16 point lead against Boston College.
Starts at the top and CDS earned a very bad grade for this result. I think he’s taking program in right direction, and if stay the course this program will be relevant again. But today, with a 16 point lead, and no real foul trouble - Coach earned a D- today. With the control of game, the outcome is comparable to UMass Lowell. Simply disappointing today.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

CDS made over $100 M in the league. Don’t think he needs our help 😎

I was glad to see him exert a little emotion. we would be better if he showed more of it. Especially given that consistent emotion and intensity is a huge issue for this team. I am not sure stoicism is the best way

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
CDS made over $100 M in the league. Don’t think he needs our help 😎

I was glad to see him exert a little emotion. we would be better if he showed more of it. Especially given that consistent emotion and intensity is a huge issue for this team. I am not sure stoicism is the best way
Terrible idea. It was a clear hook & hold. And I thought the non traveling call that led to the tech was also debatable and, in fact, I was leaning towards the official being right. The officials were actually right significantly more than wrong in this game. The close calls are being exaggerated cause of the frustrations that GT let Bc have the lead at that point.

What does holding officials accountable to you mean? You’ll be surprised that officials are held accountable in many ways. This is not a game to “punish” the refs. They called a good game. I’m sure their bosses will provide info on what they can do better.
That was a walk no doubt about it

I have never heard of a rule that eliminates a prior call for a later call. I could see both being called as the hook and hole being after the play. But I can’t see how the hook and hold would eliminate the foul that was called beforehand.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow

Roger Ayers? Is that you?