1/23/2024 MBB vs. Pitt.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Why are we staying with the Subject format when we are in a losing more than winning with this format?
At this point for GT BB
So, what you’re saying is, CDS insinuated Miles Kelly is NOT doing the little things to help GT win when he’s not scoring. I could have sworn posters here claimed otherwise when I said what CDS said weeks ago.
I would take that as a game by game comment. CDS plays the guys who are playing the game being played not what you did last game.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the box score, and particularly points scored and +/-, one could make a case that the guys who don't score play defense, and the guys who score don't play defense. Examples: Sturdy, 14 points but -16. Reeves, 15 points, but -7. Sacko (started) 0 points, but +4. Kelly, 0 points but -1, Claude 1 point, but 0.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looking at the box score, and particularly points scored and +/-, one could make a case that the guys who don't score play defense, and the guys who score don't play defense. Examples: Sturdy, 14 points but -16. Reeves, 15 points, but -7. Sacko (started) 0 points, but +4. Kelly, 0 points but -1, Claude 1 point, but 0.
I see your point, but in one game this data can be very misleading.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The best part about last night was Stoudamire's post game presser.

As for the game, it was pretty simple, Pitt made contested shots while we had trouble making open ones. We didn't shoot well enough to win. Pretty similar to UVA. Their players make winning plays and we don't answer tit-for-tat.

We don't have as many good players as the teams we are losing to. That is the way it looks to me.

As for our coach, I understand him fully and I am 100% bought in. That said, does he relate well to his players' generation of softees? I look forward to watching to see if he can find the tough competitors that he wants but does not have.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
In all of this disappointment did anyone else notice Sacko started & played 12 minutes? Not an offensive threat with no points & 0 assists. But 5 rebounds, 0 turnovers & only 1 foul. The little things CSD talks about? Not too shabby. Something positive?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
In all of this disappointment did anyone else notice Sacko started & played 12 minutes? Not an offensive threat with no points & 0 assists. But 5 rebounds, 0 turnovers & only 1 foul. The little things CSD talks about? Not too shabby. Something positive?
Sacko is a physical player. Pitt is a physical team. I suspect CDS believed he needed someone to match Pitt's physical style of play. The 5th starter for GT seems to be a matchup decision based on the opponent.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Last part of the article speaks volumes.

“This is about the fourth or fifth time I’ve come up here and it’s the same thing. So at some point, you got to get tired of it,” Stoudamire said. “I haven’t figured out who to lean on because right now when I’m looking at guys in their eyes I don’t collectively see it.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So, what you’re saying is, CDS insinuated Miles Kelly is NOT doing the little things to help GT win when he’s not scoring. I could have sworn posters here claimed otherwise when I said what CDS said weeks ago.
Yes. I think that’s obvious.

I was hoping after the Clemson game this team would be bought into everyone giving a 100% for an entire game, even when it’s not their night.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
1706115090553.png

This is a shot of our defensive efficiency ranking over the course of the entire season. (Haslametrics)

The last time we held a team under a point per possession was UMass.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We don't have as many good players as the teams we are losing to. That is the way it looks to me.

We've now lost three home games to teams currently in the bottom third of the conference. Are you saying we just have a roster that is clearly second worst in the ACC?

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In an effort to show the good with the bad, here is our offensive efficiency ranking. Which I must admit, was surprising. The problem becomes very clear when looking at the two graphs and illustrates what we all knew anyways. Defense is very much contingent upon effort and desire.

View attachment 15602
thanks peacone. Yeah. it clearly shows our problem. points in the paint ( allowed and made) would also be interesting

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I see another clean up with the roster after the season. I hope and feel that Nait, N, and Reeves stay. That’s the nucleus in my opinion. Kelly may very likely transfer out and that might not be the worse thing for him or us. Maintain the recruits that will be coming in and we’ll be building on a roster that CDS can mold. Need help down low in the paint.