1/16 - MBB vs. Clemson

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Moving on from the soft side of Peacone we experienced at Pooh Corner o_O, Duke hurt us with going big at the 4 with Young. That is Clemson's base set with Schefflin. I hope to Pooh Corner that we don't see Claude playing the 4 again and either Gapare or Coleman can play hard enough for us not to get hurt there. Could be wrong but I am OK with Ndongo against Hall.

I don't think Girard is much for pressure defense so I would put whomever he is guarding in the high ball screen so we don't get pushed out starting our offense.

There is certainly a reason we will be the underdog but I can see a pathway. It's that Peacone optimism in me. :sneaky:(y)

Damn it - I won't take so long to type next time to get ahead of AUFC :shifty:

In six career games Girard is averaging 14.3 points per game against us but his efficiency has been terrible shooting just 37% from the field. Of course, we played a completely different defense in those times. Then again, maybe hes allergic to yellow jackets.

Clemson is also a top 50 three point shooting team at 37% on the season. We rank 82nd in three point defense.

Tech is a top 50 team in offensive rebounding percentage while the Tigers are 35th in the nation in keeping their opponents off of the offensive glass (KenPom). According to Haslammetrics, we are 121st in the nation in SCC% which measure field goals made within five seconds of the offensive rebounds.

The number that we absolutely have to clean up is NPAR (near proximity attempts per 100 trips) where we rank 293rd in the nation. GT has to get something going towards the hoop and convert on those offensive rebounds that Ndongo and Claude are good at snatching. Hitting a few free throws wouldn't hurt either (326th out of 362)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’m about as diehard a GT fan as it comes. I’ve seen bad, very bad and really ……. bad.

That being said, GT basketball for a very long time has been hard to watch. I can understand fans that have given up and those without a lot of patience. I still watch almost very game wire to wire. The games this year have been interesting, frustrating often but not unwatchable and for the most part entertaining. Making progress and it looks like Stoudamire has a plan, just need 3-4 more pieces.

I don’t support Basketball financially in any way whatsoever. Just not practical for me with my schedule, but I hope soon the interest is back.
I don't know if this is isolated to GT fans or what but I'm always surprised that people can only enjoy a team if they are winning. Even when we suck, and we've almost always sucked my entire fandom, I look forward to these games with anticipation. And then when the game is on-going, I enjoy the emotional rollercoaster of "will we win? will we lose?" and (what little) atmosphere (we have) in McCamish. And obviously I'm sadder when we lose than when we win, but I never walk away from GT games regretting spending the 2 hours or pre-game excitement and anticipation I got to experience. I remember wanting to leave games (Duke last season) but I don't think I've ever not had fun at McCamish.

I honestly think that is something that is isolated to GT fans - go look at Nebrasketball attendance or their football attendance or Rutgers basketball attendance during their 30 year dry streak. Those teams have sucked for a long *** time and they still receive support. People there actually have fun and find value in supporting their losing teams - I've never seen that happen with GT fans. Maybe it's the hyper-analytical nature of our alumni when booking out their calendars.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if this is isolated to GT fans or what but I'm always surprised that people can only enjoy a team if they are winning. Even when we suck, and we've almost always sucked my entire fandom, I look forward to these games with anticipation. And then when the game is on-going, I enjoy the emotional rollercoaster of "will we win? will we lose?" and (what little) atmosphere (we have) in McCamish. And obviously I'm sadder when we lose than when we win, but I never walk away from GT games regretting spending the 2 hours or pre-game excitement and anticipation I got to experience. I remember wanting to leave games (Duke last season) but I don't think I've ever not had fun at McCamish.

I honestly think that is something that is isolated to GT fans - go look at Nebrasketball attendance or their football attendance or Rutgers basketball attendance during their 30 year dry streak. Those teams have sucked for a long *** time and they still receive support. People there actually have fun and find value in supporting their losing teams - I've never seen that happen with GT fans. Maybe it's the hyper-analytical nature of our alumni when booking out their calendars.
Well here in Maine I am absolutely surrounded by Duke and UNC fans (yeah I don't know why) and they are...….just terrible to deal with year after year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
In six career games Girard is averaging 14.3 points per game against us but his efficiency has been terrible shooting just 37% from the field. Of course, we played a completely different defense in those times. Then again, maybe hes allergic to yellow jackets.

Clemson is also a top 50 three point shooting team at 37% on the season. We rank 82nd in three point defense.

Tech is a top 50 team in offensive rebounding percentage while the Tigers are 35th in the nation in keeping their opponents off of the offensive glass (KenPom). According to Haslammetrics, we are 121st in the nation in SCC% which measure field goals made within five seconds of the offensive rebounds.

The number that we absolutely have to clean up is NPAR (near proximity attempts per 100 trips) where we rank 293rd in the nation. GT has to get something going towards the hoop and convert on those offensive rebounds that Ndongo and Claude are good at snatching. Hitting a few free throws wouldn't hurt either (326th out of 362)
The interesting part is if we hit one more of our FTs per game we would be at the NCAA average and right in the middle of the 351 teams. Amazing how little it would take to go from really bad to average on FTs.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Would you start this lineup against Clemson? Why or why not?

George
Reeves
Kelly
Gapare
Ndongo
Likely. Probably our best group. Might not start Gapare as he can provide a spark off the bench.

CDS shares minutes. Ndongo, Kelly, George and Reeves will get a lot of minutes if they stay out of foul trouble.

Not sure how well Douwanoa matches up with Hall.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Would you start this lineup against Clemson? Why or why not?

George
Reeves
Kelly
Gapare
Ndongo
If Gapare could stay out of foul trouble, this would be the ideal lineup. But I just don’t see him guarding their bigs without picking up an early two fouls. I liked the way Claude played defensively against Duke. I’d be more comfortable having him start and letting him pick up the early fouls.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
PJ Hall. He should be first team ALL-ACC this year, bro's a BEAST. Interested to see how Dongo matches up with him.
Hall’s a really good player, but he’s been a non-factor in 2 of Clemson’s 5 ACC games (UNC and VT). He fouled out against both Miami and UNC, and has 17 fouls over his last 4 ACC games. I think Ndongo will be a tough matchup for Hall athletically, but my guess is Hall plays physical out the gate and will try and push Ndongo around early on to draw some fouls (like Filipowski did on Saturday).

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait til these white boys get bounced by Samford in the Round of 64 in March, extend Brownell, and regress next season as their entire team graduates and heads to the Turkish Basketball League this offseason. Their beloved football program is turning into a dumpster fire as well.