“Competing” open Head Coaching jobs

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nebraska will spend money on a coach. There is FAR MORE institutional support there for football as well. There is no way we will be a better landing spot than them.
I respectfully disagree.

Some of it may depend on the age of the coach. Older coaches will acknowledge the institutional support and have memories of the proud Nebraska tradition but younger coaches will see it as a recruiting wasteland, miles from the best talent and no cosmopolitan amenities to entice those recruits.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Do you live in the Midwest? Pretty deep knowledge on other teams if not.

I'm originally from Michigan, and moved here when I was a kid...but my knowledge of teams comes from several sources on social media. There are certain sources you can go to for each region that has pretty extensive knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.

Chryst's eroding support has been known for a while. Leipold doing well helped that erosion, and Nebraska firing Scott Frost putting them is direct contention for Leipold pretty much took any support Chryst had.

If you notice lately, donors have started to become very active on what happens in athletic departments. This is becoming the case at Wisconsin. We're starting to see that with GT as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I respectfully disagree.

Some of it may depend on the age of the coach. Older coaches will acknowledge the institutional support and have memories of the proud Nebraska tradition but younger coaches will see it as a recruiting wasteland, miles from the best talent and no cosmopolitan amenities to entice those recruits.

In regards to the status and future of Nebraska FB, I spent some time travelling through that state this summer on a trek up to the Badlands. In the various pubs and taverns I got a chance to speak on this topic. I think most of them are realistic and understand the immense challenges that the school faces. Most of them are reasonable in their expectations going forward and are somewhat similar to those of us GT fans...they just want to compete consistently for their divison title of the B10. They don't expect to be playing for NC's on a regular basis as in the past. The landscape is too different.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I respectfully disagree.

Nebraska is in the B1G, which is even more financially viable than the SEC. GT is in the ACC. The last time Nebraska finished outside of the top 25 in recruiting was 2015, when they finished 31st. Even in the past few years of abysmal football, Nebraska has been top 20 in recruiting. I don't think recruiting is an issue, and it's been pretty well documented that being in a recruiting hotbed and having a cosmopolitan campus doesn't equate to recruiting wins either. I understand your logic, but I just see no way that Nebraska is considered by anyone to be a lesser job than GT.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I'm originally from Michigan, and moved here when I was a kid...but my knowledge of teams comes from several sources on social media. There are certain sources you can go to for each region that has pretty extensive knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.

Chryst's eroding support has been known for a while. Leipold doing well helped that erosion, and Nebraska firing Scott Frost putting them is direct contention for Leipold pretty much took any support Chryst had.

If you notice lately, donors have started to become very active on what happens in athletic departments. This is becoming the case at Wisconsin. We're starting to see that with GT as well.
Agreed. At the Badger game , the team opened with a nice scoring drive, then IU shut them down. Even after halftime, they looked flat. Players seemed distracted, not dialed in, many mental errors. I have been watching Badgers more ( Mrs. Sheboygan is an alum) only because my Jackets have been so bad :sneaky:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I respectfully disagree.

It will really depend on the coach. We won't have a home game this year with better attendance than their spring game. We can't compete with their fan base or their money.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wisconsin is by far the best job that is currently open, and would be a better job than Auburn if Auburn opens.
WI has a huge fanbase, a large budget, and a well run AA. They also don't have nearly the same level of meddling by boosters as Auburn does.
The last time they had a losing season was 2001 when Barry Alvarez went 5-7.
Excluding the COVID season they haven't won fewer than 8 games in a season since 2008 (when they went 7-6).

All that said I think there are likely 2 candidates who will be targeted by WI. Lance Leipold and Jim Leonhard. Chryst was 2-3 to start the season with a bad home loss to Washington St and then a completely disinterested loss to ILL.

As others have said, basically Leonhard is getting an open tryout and based on how this season goes either I think he gets the job full time or they grab Leipold.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as ranking the 5 jobs that are currently open, I would rank them this way
WI - this is easy. The only thing that keeps them from being a Top 10 job is the lack of high level recruits in WI.
Neb - #2 is the hardest one to pick, but Nebraska has a huge fanbase and alot of money.
AZ St - I'd put them just above GT mainly due to them being a large, state university that draws from the West Coast (but I could be persuaded to put GT here).
GT
Colorado - this is a really tough job now. On an island in the PAC. Not alot of local recruits.

If Auburn comes open then I would slot them at #2. Texas A&M would be #1 on this list if they open.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Been that way at Tech for a long time. How do you think we ended up with Bill Curry? He had hardly any coaching experience but the donors wanted him. A Tech man and nice image.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As yall rank jobs, do you factor in the meddlesome nature of some of these administrations/fanbases?

In a vacuum, places like TXA&M, TX, AUB, etc. are better jobs. But the degree to which you have to do what the money guys say ... when they say it ... how they say it, etc.

Does that not diminish the proverbial shine when you can get comparable money at a place like GT?

This isn't as self-serving a post as it sounds. It's not just about GT. There are other places that are relatively lower pressure (emphasis on relatively).

I just think the atmosphere at the heavy-factory places would take away a lot for me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nebraska will spend money on a coach. There is FAR MORE institutional support there for football as well. There is no way we will be a better landing spot than them.
Wasn't it you that said we had essentially no chance running against Pitts' DL? While difficult, that turned out to be not quite a true statement. Cabrera stated we're going to bring athletics on par with academics, and that means spending money and institutional support.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As yall rank jobs, do you factor in the meddlesome nature of some of these administrations/fanbases?

In a vacuum, places like TXA&M, TX, AUB, etc. are better jobs. But the degree to which you have to do what the money guys say ... when they say it ... how they say it, etc.

Does that not diminish the proverbial shine when you can get comparable money at a place like GT?

This isn't as self-serving a post as it sounds. It's not just about GT. There are other places that are relatively lower pressure (emphasis on relatively).

I just think the atmosphere at the heavy-factory places would take away a lot for me.

Well, Texas A&M, Texas, and most likely Auburn are not paying comparable money. That being said, donors can indeed become a nightmare. FSU and Auburn are prime examples. In the end, though, coaches are chasing a legacy, and the opportunity to play for a championship at the big schools will always be a draw.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Coaches are supremely confident ego maniacs. Each and every one of them has the belief they can control any situation...and if you're willing to pay them $8-10 million a year, that ego goes through the roof. Worst case scenario, they fail but get a $40+ million buyout and they go Kentucky or Houston and start the processs all over again.

It's very similar to being hotshot high school senior thinking they can go to Georgia Tech and kick the sh!t out of the academics.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wasn't it you that said we had essentially no chance running against Pitts' DL? While difficult, that turned out to be not quite a true statement. Cabrera stated we're going to bring athletics on par with academics, and that means spending money and institutional support.

Guess you missed the follow up post I had on that thread....

Looked at Pitts depth chart today. Looks like three of their biggest DL (Two DE's and a DT) might be out or limited this Saturday along with one of their better RBs. Maybe this moves the needle in our direction somewhat. If we can sustain enough blocks to free Smith and give Sims enough time to complete a few throws, we might just have a punchers chance in this one.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Guess you missed the follow up post I had on that thread....
I didn't. But, it didn't fit my narrative (joking...I vaguely remember it). My point is that this may not be business-as-usual coming from the Hill. Just like we'll see how we respond this week to a good effort (with tons of room for improvement), we'll see if there truly is a pivot from the Hill in terms of support.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I didn't. But, it didn't fit my narrative (joking...I vaguely remember it). My point is that this may not be business-as-usual coming from the Hill. Just like we'll see how we respond this week to a good effort (with tons of room for improvement), we'll see if there truly is a pivot from the Hill in terms of support.
What exactly are you expecting the Hill to do to show this support?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I understand your point, but I don't have a lot of expectation that we will all of a sudden be throwing out stupid money for a coach, which is what I expect Nebraska to do. I'm betting our new coach gets between $4-5 million a year with a larger assistant salary pool than we've ever had before. That's a huge change for us, and sure to be beneficial, but Nebraska with its finances can afford to go big with a hire and still pay for top assistants.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Money Rain GIF by 5-hour ENERGY®

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The things Cabrera talked about when he spoke about the change in leadership. There are a myriad of little things (and some big things) the Administration can do to make life easier for the GTAA, in general, and the football team, in specific. Just significant public support of the team can go a long way.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but I don't have a lot of expectation that we will all of a sudden be throwing out stupid money for a coach, which is what I expect Nebraska to do. I'm betting our new coach gets between $4-5 million a year with a larger assistant salary pool than we've ever had before. That's a huge change for us, and sure to be beneficial, but Nebraska with its finances can afford to go big with a hire and still pay for top assistants.
Agreed. I have a brother in Omaha with two at Nebraska; from what he's been saying I'm not sure Nebraska is going to throw insane money at a coach to fix this. I'm also not saying it won't happen.