“Branding” and “Marketing” ...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
All I keep seeing is why we CAN’T succeed. I choose to try and find the ways we can succeed..,
I tend to agree. Case in point: we routinely see members here post that SAs have to take calculus, and those posters are (IMO) negative-recruiting whenever they say, “have to”. The correct way to parse that issue is to say that every Tech student gets to learn some calculus—the math that explains how EVERYTHING quantifiable can change. Learning a little bit of calculus is like gaining a minor Super-Power... and that’s the way we need to market it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree. Case in point: we routinely see members here post that SAs have to take calculus, and those posters are (IMO) negative-recruiting whenever they say, “have to”. The correct way to parse that issue is to say that every Tech student gets to learn some calculus—the math that explains how EVERYTHING quantifiable can change. Learning a little bit of calculus is like gaining a minor Super-Power... and that’s the way we need to market it.

If sufficient were spent on recruiting, we could take it national and do just that by targeting smart, talented football players nationwide who would like to play for one of the few top-25 STEM schools in the country that's in a power-5 conference. IF sufficient were spent on recruiting, that is.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
If sufficient were spent on recruiting, we could take it national and do just that by targeting smart, talented football players nationwide who would like to play for one of the few top-25 STEM schools in the country that's in a power-5 conference. IF sufficient were spent on recruiting, that is.

I agree. Current GT dual-threat quarterback Lucas Johnson, for example, is from San Diego, California. We definitely need to strengthen our recruiting efforts nationwide, to bring in more talent like him.

By the way, if Lucas completely heals from his surgery sometime over the coming spring and summer, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him become Coach Geoff Collins’s first starting quarterback at Georgia Tech next fall.

ClinicalCowboy

Georgia Tech Fan
To begin with, I really like the CGC hire. I like the attitude he brings along with his energy which was nearly absent during the last decade on the Flats. However, am I the only one who is cautiously optimistic that we may have just hired Butch Jones 2.0? I get the branding we are trying to establish but some of these mottos and acronyms scream Butch Jones “Brick by Brick” at UT.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
To begin with, I really like the CGC hire. I like the attitude he brings along with his energy which was nearly absent during the last decade on the Flats. However, am I the only one who is cautiously optimistic that we may have just hired Butch Jones 2.0? I get the branding we are trying to establish but some of these mottos and acronyms scream Butch Jones “Brick by Brick” at UT.

Good post. I agree. I’m also not sure if CGC’s tweeting, Facebook, and other social media “branding and marketing” methods would, in fact, succeed alone in recruiting more top talent to GT. At least, to me, not without the foundation of a strong funding and staffing base for an enhanced GT football recruiting program.

Perhaps today’s kids nowadays are easily swayed by all the allures of social media, but then again I’m an old fart and I don’t tweet and use Facebook.

However, I think CGC’s social media salesmanship certainly has the potential to help more than hurt. But it seems to me it should be a supplement to, rather than a replacement for, a capable, well funded and well staffed recruiting program.

ChooChoo Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Everything out of Butch’s mouth was a cliche’. The man literally could complete an original thought. Hell, he was in the marching band, didn’t even play football. Coach Collins is no Butch Jones. Don’t mistake his enthusiasm for incompetence.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Everything out of Butch’s mouth was a cliche’. The man literally could complete an original thought. Hell, he was in the marching band, didn’t even play football. Coach Collins is no Butch Jones. Don’t mistake his enthusiasm for incompetence.

I haven't seen, or at least noticed, anyone who says that CGC is Butch Jones. What I have seen, and actually noted myself, is that most of what I have heard him say is marketing style speech without much measurable, quantifiable substance. That is not a bad thing. I like what he is saying. I will however remain cautiously optimistic until I understand details of what he is planning and am able to observe actions that he takes.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Good post. I agree. I’m also not sure if CGC’s tweeting, Facebook, and other social media “branding and marketing” methods would, in fact, succeed alone in recruiting more top talent to GT. At least, to me, not without the foundation of a strong funding and staffing base for an enhanced GT football recruiting program.

Perhaps today’s kids nowadays are easily swayed by all the allures of social media, but then again I’m an old fart and I don’t tweet and use Facebook.

However, I think CGC’s social media salesmanship certainly has the potential to help more than hurt. But it seems to me it should be a supplement to, rather than a replacement for, a capable, well funded and well staffed recruiting program.
I don’t think anyone could disagree with your conclusion but also think you vastly underrate what an effective social media program can mean to kids.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don’t think anyone could disagree with your conclusion but also think you vastly underrate what an effective social media program can mean to kids.
It probably only takes 1 or 2 interns to run a damn social media program. Hell, I’m sure we’ve got some AI nerds in the College of Computing that could do it on their damn lunch breaks if someone would ask.

It’s this kind of strategy we’re lacking. We’ve got one of the top institutions in the world yet we use none of it in sports, probably one of the biggest money business sectors in the world. Becuase this isn’t splitting the atom, curing cancer or building the next space gadget the academic elites frown on leveraging our innate technological expertise to help our athletic programs. If Stansbury does nothing besides improve fundraising & link GT’s technological prowess to our sports programs he will have achieved massive success.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It probably only takes 1 or 2 interns to run a damn social media program. Hell, I’m sure we’ve got some AI nerds in the College of Computing that could do it on their damn lunch breaks if someone would ask.

It’s this kind of strategy we’re lacking. We’ve got one of the top institutions in the world yet we use none of it in sports, probably one of the biggest money business sectors in the world. Becuase this isn’t splitting the atom, curing cancer or building the next space gadget the academic elites frown on leveraging our innate technological expertise to help our athletic programs. If Stansbury does nothing besides improve fundraising & link GT’s technological prowess to our sports programs he will have achieved massive success.

TStan is on it:

https://gtsportschallenge.devpost.com/
https://ramblinwreck.com/24-teams-participate-inaugural-sports-innovation-challenge/

LibertyTurns

Banned

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s outstanding. There should be sports innovation labs all around Atlanta. We’ve got major college sports, Pro Football- Basketball (sort of) & Baseball plus now Soccer. We’ve got cutting edge medical in Emory & you couple that with GT. It’s like a slam dunk so anyone trying to prototype anything sports wise.

It's great that there is this sort of grass-roots movement. It would be awesome if this is a yearly thing with the potential to turn one of these projects into a startup.

Now that said, I'll (once again) relate a story from the Dark Ages. Catapult Sports approached GT a while back and offered to outfit the team with their GPS sports trackers and run analytics on the collected data. FSU and UNC (probably more by now) were the other ACC teams using their tech, not only for their football teams but for their other sports teams as well. CPJ thought it was a great idea and approached M-Bob about outfitting the team with the trackers.

M-Bob: "Sure. You can have four."
CPJ: "Four? You realize there are 85 guys on a team, right?"
M-Bob: "I said four." *

One huge thing CGC is going to benefit from is an AD who wants football to succeed and will actually do something about it. This Innovation Challenge is a step in the right direction.

*not a transcript of the actual conversation because it was probably done over the phone

It's great that there is this sort of grass-roots movement. It would be awesome if this is a yearly thing with the potential to turn one of these projects into a startup.

Now that said, I'll (once again) relate a story from the Dark Ages. Catapult Sports approached GT a while back and offered to outfit the team with their GPS sports trackers and run analytics on the collected data. FSU and UNC (probably more by now) were the other ACC teams using their tech, not only for their football teams but for their other sports teams as well. CPJ thought it was a great idea and approached M-Bob about outfitting the team with the trackers.

One huge thing CGC is going to benefit from is an AD who wants football to succeed and will actually do something about it. This Innovation Challenge is a step in the right direction.

*not a transcript of the actual conversation because it was probably done over the phone
Thank God, MBob is gone.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I completely agree that without more resources we shouldn’t expect much change even if CGC is a great recruiter. I think I have modest expectations assuming we do get the financial support. Those expectations are that we average 1 more 4* player/year and that we do a better job of getting quality across the board to fill in the 2-deep so that there isn’t the precipitous drop off we’ve seen over the years when we have an injury or need to sub people in. I think our starters are generally pretty good football players but the gap is big to the next group in some cases.

I do not expect that we will suddenly begin rolling in 4 and 5* players. Even if I’m right that we have more degree offerings (because of the different threads in the various programs) that might appeal to some athletes we STILL are limited compared to other school with whom we compete directly. I do recognize that. But I feel like we haven’t been marketing our programs well enough to the right segment of athletes and a lot of that is due to a lack of resources.

Animal02

Banned

But but but, it was all CPJ’s scheme and poor recruiting. :oops:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

As someone who really liked our offense under CPJ (and I also think CPJ is a good man and loved his honesty AND his sarcasm) I really wish he’d been given the support that TStan appears to be slowly ramping up for our program. I’m glad we’re getting more support now and I will always be grateful for what CPJ was able to do without an AD who was fully behind the program. That’s a tremendous accomplishment that I will always appreciate.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
But but but, it was all CPJ’s scheme and poor recruiting. :oops:

Here is one place I think we can agree whole heartedly. Wouldn’t you have loved to see what CPJ could have done with better resources and more commitment from the AD? I’m an unapologetic fan of the triple-option (I think it is one of the most beautiful offenses when run well) and when CPJ had the players it was clear he could take down the big teams!

Animal02

Banned
Here is one place I think we can agree whole heartedly. Wouldn’t you have loved to see what CPJ could have done with better resources and more commitment from the AD? I’m an unapologetic fan of the triple-option (I think it is one of the most beautiful offenses when run well) and when CPJ had the players it was clear he could take down the big teams!
I think we agree more than you think,;)

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t really care if it’s a money loser. The program will be better off overall if we play a full competitive schedule every year. GT would replace your two BS $50 games (Acorn St, etc) with one $75 great game. I’m not even sure there’s a revenue difference. The game would likely be at night and we wouldn’t roast our asses off. Good tv exposure & yes branding.

I don’t disagree with eliminating FCS teams but I have no use for bringing in factories that result in lopsided losses and a stadium filled with the opposing team’s fans.

Tulane was mentioned. They are an old rival as old as Auburn, UT etc. it would be great to do a continuing 2 for 1 so we get to go to New Orleans.

I think our opponents should match our academic strategy and possibly get us into different geographic areas. If we play a big 10 team it should be Northwestern. If we play a PAC 12 team it should be Stanford. Tulane fits in here. There are others. It also gets us in front of the eyes of players who have the academic credentials to play here and succeed academically.

We could increase attendance with theses guys too

To truly be successful we will have to recruit nationwide as well as have a few successes in our backyard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk