Zach Gibson is not as bad as he looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Blatt should remove Pyron from the team so these coaches can’t infect him anymore. Just hide him away from anyone associated with GT football right now and wait until the next coach is hired to let him back into the building. Pyron is our only hope for 2023 and 2024 so we have to get him away from the program for the next 2 months. Long should be gone today.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm not reading all this chat but he was pretty damn bad. Your job as a backup is to be ready and capable of filling in when needed. He was absolutely none of that. He wasn't doing the O-Line any favors because he provided zero threat of any passing capability and UVA was just teeing off at that point.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We've basically been lied to & those responsible need to go.

Key was AHC, he had to know we've recruited back up QBs that cannot play even in an emergency. If the Akorn kid is #2, the Clemson kid #3 must be really pathetic. Not sure if that gives us concern about Pyron, but the decision to run off Oliver, Johnson, etc looks pretty damn foolish now.

Then we have the OL debacle. Key's story he was AHC and not OL coach. Weak sauce.

Key said he "fixed" Special Teams with Semore. Back to normal last night. Blocked punts, missed FGs. poor punt coverage. We did have a blocked punt.

The missed assignments, whiffs on tackles, bad penalties, no accountability with players being put back in when loafing, etc returned.

What's Weinke doing? Nothing it appears. Sims still has bad footwork, throws behind open receivers by a lot, can't progress thru reads, throws into triple coverage, etc.

Long is sad & we thought the other dope was bad. We run our tiny back up the middle, leave Smith on bench. The TE play is garbage. It must be we need to wait a LONG time to score must be what that dude's all about.

Thacker's the only one that didn't look like a clown last night. We had a pick 6 and several turnovers. That being said, zero sacks. Armstrong moved resulted in multiple jockstraps left on field. He gets a pass.

Batt probably shatt. Hope he's got a good potential coach rolodex.

The punt they got a hand on last night was an individual bust not a schematic one. They doubled an inside rusher instead of picking up the outside one.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Huh? I hope your joking. He was plain awful on every level last night.
I’m not. I think he’s significantly better than he looked last night. There is a lot of blame to go around and it’s unfair to put it all on him, which seems to be message around here.

People need to get a grip. First game for the kid, and the coaches did not prepare him or themselves(looking at you, Chip Long).

I think with some more experience he’ll look serviceable.

FolkHall

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not. I think he’s significantly better than he looked last night. There is a lot of blame to go around and it’s unfair to put it all on him, which seems to be message around here.

People need to get a grip. First game for the kid, and the coaches did not prepare him or themselves(looking at you, Chip Long).

I think with some more experience he’ll look serviceable.
Gibson played like he had money on Virginia last night. The Virginia D had to just blow on him to sack him. This isn't his first game, had plenty of experience at Akron. Playing against a terrible Virginia team was an ideal situation to showcase his abilities and he straight up quit.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
The pass protection wasn’t that bad; the kid just had no awareness in the pocket. Once he got hit a few times he quit looking downfield, and essentially was waiting to be sacked. The kid may be better next week, but it was clear he was 100% overwhelmed halfway through the 3rd Q last night. He should have been taken out of the game.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

i wanted to give him that benefit of the doubt too but this is a pretty damning quote

This is inexcusable. The message he sends to the team with that play is “I give up”. Not a good look for the QB who is supposed to be one of your leaders. The former Tech players were NOT kind about this play on Twitter. It’s not about his physical abilities or struggles. It’s about literally giving up. Yes, 99.9% nothing happens if he throws it up, but you got to at least give your team a chance. Making a business decision to just “take the L” and go out of bounds could be a catastrophic choice for the locker room. Again, I won’t post any because they are probably not appropriate, but if you read former players reactions about THAT play, you’ll know why that is such a bad move for the locker room. That play means a lot more symbolically than just throwing it up and nothing happening.

JPaul

Georgia Tech Fan
That statement applies to the whole collection of blue and gold players and coaches. The Band, Gold Rush (and $10 beers) were by far the best part of last night. Thinking we would witness a decent all-around player-coach performance three times in a row was way, way too much to expect. I know our alumni is smarter than that.

JacketFan137

Banned
This is inexcusable. The message he sends to the team with that play is “I give up”. Not a good look for the QB who is supposed to be one of your leaders. The former Tech players were NOT kind about this play on Twitter. It’s not about his physical abilities or struggles. It’s about literally giving up. Yes, 99.9% nothing happens if he throws it up, but you got to at least give your team a chance. Making a business decision to just “take the L” and go out of bounds could be a catastrophic choice for the locker room. Again, I won’t post any because they are probably not appropriate, but if you read former players reactions about THAT play, you’ll know why that is such a bad move for the locker room. That play means a lot more symbolically than just throwing it up and nothing happening.
that’s what’s most disappointing. backup qb comes in and plays bad, whatever it’s the backup qb if your starting qb goes down at half you’re probably ****ed anyway unless you recruit like bama and just bring in the next 4/5*. a guy coming in and giving up on multiple plays is not a good look and if key is serious about what he preaches that should basically spell the end of gibson’s playing time

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
The ultimate problem is Sims is better, but neither him or Gibson are gonna be the real answer going forward even if we fix the line play.

We need to hope Sims comes back to give us a chance going forward this year as he didn’t just fall over because a gentle fall breeze went by like Gibson did a few time. Then we have to hope the next coach can coach up Pyron.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The really weird thing is that he seemed like a guy with tons of fire and grit. When he took that shot on the FG drive, got animated, and talked trash, that was kind of exciting. Later in the game he took another hit that could have been called a late hit and did pretty much the same thing. He looked like a guy struggling to play well but at least he's in there fighting. Then, he whimpers out of bounds on the final play. It made little sense.

JacketFan137

Banned
The really weird thing is that he seemed like a guy with tons of fire and grit. When he took that shot on the FG drive, got animated, and talked trash, that was kind of exciting. Later in the game he took another hit that could have been called a late hit and did pretty much the same thing. He looked like a guy struggling to play well but at least he's in there fighting. Then, he whimpers out of bounds on the final play. It made little sense.
he also gave up on some of the sacks in my opinion. i think he was a little too quick to go down

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I was about to post the same thing. I am sorry, but Gibson should not see the field after this. The defense never gave up and played hard. He alone made a decision to give up on the game. I understand that the odds were long, but you just don;t give up on your teammates

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Imagine Josh Nesbitt or Joe Ham or Shawn Jones saying "at that point I felt like, run out of bounds and take the loss." I can't get over how bad of a quote that is.
Yeah—Nesbitt would have said something like, "at that point I felt like, run over the defender in front of me, run through the guy behind him, run over the third man too, and get the TD."

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Gibson played like he had money on Virginia last night. The Virginia D had to just blow on him to sack him. This isn't his first game, had plenty of experience at Akron. Playing against a terrible Virginia team was an ideal situation to showcase his abilities and he straight up quit.
Vad Lee folded after that big UNC hit. I get it, football's a rough sport. That being said, folding like a cheap tent is not a good look nor is basically saying you quit on your Team. I hope the kid gets a chance to retract his comment. If I was a media guy I might have swallowed that one & gave the kid an extra swing at the question or even put words into his mouth to avoid the embarassment as this would have been the nice thing to do given the overall performance, but GT's media decided to tar and feather the kid. He's kinda toast now.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It is tough. I didn't like seeing it happen, then really didn't like hearing it live in the postgame.

That said, he is a kid and made a bad call, that he recognized was bad. I am not ready to concede the season but oh boy do we have some work remaining to do. I hope Jeff heals up quickly AND that we have some better planning for what to do to manage the game if we don't have him.

Also Bless our D and their effort. Gotta keep it up for the boys.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah—Nesbitt would have said something like, "at that point I felt like, run over the defender in front of me, run through the guy behind him, run over the third man too, and get the TD."
might have eventually fumbled it and ripped it right back en route to the touchdown

Status
Not open for further replies.